Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

TdF - Rest day news (Schleck tests positive)

Another rest day, another drugs story, this one even more unlikely than usual.

Frank Schleck has tested positive for a banned substance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

letsgoup | 11 years ago
0 likes

I agree. The rules can be found in the game pages and are there for all to see. Thats how games work. Rules are set out and then we all play by them.  26

Lost faith in t... | 11 years ago
0 likes

rules are rules, kinda getting board of all the moaning that goes on here these days.....

please note this is not aimed at anyone specific just everyone in general  4

colhum1 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Uummmm....so taking the piss then...  4

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

"Xipamide is a prescription-only, orally administered diuretic drug. It is also knows as Diurexan, the brand name under which it may be found in a pharmacy. A doctor typically prescribes the drug, in tablet form, to a patient dealing with high blood pressure. In these cases, high blood pressure is caused not by arterial fat buildup, but by high sodium levels in the blood. Since water follows solutes (solid matter), high levels of sodium in the blood will cause increased water retention in the bloodstream as well, putting excess strain on the heart as it tries to move the extra fluid.
Diuretics are typically used in sport as masking agents. Although that term is a misnomer, as diuretics don’t actually mask anything, they conceal the presence of a drug by helping to flush it from the body through increased urination. Using this effect, an athlete could use Xipamide to help remove traces of banned substances prior to a doping control."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/news/uci-announces-positive-dopin...

msw | 11 years ago
0 likes

The B-sample hasn't been tested yet, has it? What happens to his points if it's a false positive?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dave, on another note I think there are a handful of abandoned riders still listed, most are like Van Hummel and dropped out on Monday but I'm sure Txurruka has been gone a while. When you remove Schleck could you double check?

Ta

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hard to say on Cancellara as he's already quit the tour but I can see it both ways, its unfair that the fantasy player is penalised because someone they picked is caught cheating but on the other hand they have directly benefited from a rider doping. I picked Pierre Rolland when he won a stage, if it turned out he's been cheating is it fair I benefit from his doping by getting points he hasn't earned fairly?

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

well it's the only 'POSITIVE' thing the schlecks have done for a while!  4

letsgoup replied to livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:

well it's the only 'POSITIVE' thing the schlecks have done for a while!  4

Like it, Funny guy  4

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Reported that he's now definitely leaving the tour, I wouldn't pick him if I were you, also, Dave, will hs points be nullified?

dave atkinson replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Reported that he's now definitely leaving the tour, I wouldn't pick him if I were you, also, Dave, will hs points be nullified?

Yes

noddy69 replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

Why punish people for picking a guy in the competition. Personally I think thats quite unfair. I didnt pick him myself but if I did I would be upset. Its hardly fair to punish a fantasy games players for picking a guy in good faith. If lets say it finishes and wiggins tested positive after the fact but prizes had already gone then nothing gets done. I just think annulling points on players is like saying they should have known. Just my thoughts, as I said I didnt pick him so not overly concerned.

Rvizzle replied to noddy69 | 11 years ago
0 likes
noddy69 wrote:

Why punish people for picking a guy in the competition. Personally I think thats quite unfair. I didnt pick him myself but if I did I would be upset. Its hardly fair to punish a fantasy games players for picking a guy in good faith. If lets say it finishes and wiggins tested positive after the fact but prizes had already gone then nothing gets done. I just think annulling points on players is like saying they should have known. Just my thoughts, as I said I didnt pick him so not overly concerned.

I don't have him in my team either but agree this seems a touch unfair. If Cancellara were to test positive, will all his points be retrospectively removed too?

dave atkinson replied to noddy69 | 11 years ago
0 likes
noddy69 wrote:

them's the rules. riders that are DQ'ed get their points tally zeroed. stage results stand as is.

if it finishes and wiggo wins and then tests positive later on then the result stands. them's the rules.

MattT53 | 11 years ago
0 likes

How thoroughly unsurprising, given his earlier Puerto/ Fuentes involvement. Do you think Andy will now claim to have no idea about what his brother was doing!

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Only a 'specified substance' so it doesn't require a provisional ban according to the BBC, probably ingested accidentally (no idea what it hides or why you'd take it) but I can't see UCI being too pleased if Radioshack don't withdraw him.

On another note, if Schleck was going to dope surely he'd take something to improve his time trialling  19

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bloody hell is the man stupid or what. Mind you look who one of his bosses is - Bruyneel !

Latest Comments