Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The crotch area on bib shorts

No doubt this will have been discussed previously but i thought we could bring it back out into discussion.

I own a pair of comfy "speg" bib shorts however on longer rides the crotch area does not give enough "comfy" padding.

Having never been in a position to purchase a pair of top quality bib shorts is this a common problem with bibs across the board or is it a case the more expensive they are the better the padding as i may have to save up for some new ones  39

Or is it a case i'm to heavy around the backside area  13

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

koko56 | 11 years ago
0 likes

as above, but also consider the saddle shape and height - 2mm can make a big difference I found.

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Use a pair of Aldi shorts costing £10 and did a long ride recently, 130 miles, without any problems. They come into stock every 6 mths or so. I doubt if the padding is much different to anything else.

I would however second Raleigh's comment about maybe dropping the saddle. I did this recently for a different reason, tightness behind my left knee, but it had the knockon effect of reducing any numbness in the crotch area quite significantly.

daddyELVIS | 11 years ago
0 likes

dhb get a thumbs up from me also.

Adey | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ive found what helped me is i cut the pad out of an old pair of Karrimors and tuck said pad inside my Bianchi bib shorts!!
Works for me!!
The comfiest shorts i have are made by a company called 'Funkier'
Less than half the price of the Bianchi bibs!

mattsccm | 11 years ago
0 likes

Shutt anyday out fo a wide selction.
Short? No perfect. Who wants to look like Wiggins?

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh, and if in doubt, consult a certain rule #5

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

also what raleigh said, oh and dont take drugs like frank schleck

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

hmm i use -rapha bibs (£140 ish) shutt vr club shorts (£45 ish) and dhb Aeron race (£50 ish)

in order of best first

dhb
shutt
rapha

all have done 100 mile + rides as well as average rides of 40-60 miles

might be a crotch shape thing but i will be re-purchasing the dhbs when i need new shorts. have to say the lycra feels brilliant on them!

the shutt are very short and have retro shiny lycra but again decent.

raphas as good as the aerons but no better

thing is 99% of shorts pads are made by cytech so you often get the same pad in lots of brands

etc etc

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sound like bikefit.

Drop saddle 5mm and see what happens

Latest Comments