Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fantasy Olympic Track Cycling

It was suggested a few months ago that some people on the forum might want to try a fantasy track cycling competition for the olympics.

The idea's simple, pick an athlete/team/nation for each track event and we score the results, the best overall result is the winner.

The ten olympic events are:

Men's Keirin
Men's Omnium
Men's sprint
Men's team pursuit
Men's team sprint
Women's Keirin
Women's Omnium
Women's sprint
Women's team pursuit
Women's team sprint

Schedule is here: http://www.london2012.com/cycling-track/schedule-and-results/

Athlete details will be available here: http://www.london2012.com/cycling-track/athletes/

Deadline for entries is 8pm Wednesday 1st August.

Rules are:
1) Fantasy teams limited to one individual or team from any nationality i.e. you can't have more than one Brit or British team in your own team.
2) Scoring based on the Omnium where 1st scores 1, 2nd scores 2 etc down to 12th scoring 12. Any placing below 12th scores 12. Lowest overall score after 10 events is the winner.
3) DNFs, DQs or withdrawl's of an athlete count as finishing last and will score 12 points.
4) Where non-medal positions are not ranked (see 2008 men's team pursuit and team sprint) the time's from qualification will be used to rank teams for fantasy purposes.
5) Where it is not possible to rank a group of teams or individuals each will be given the score of the highest unranked position i.e. if 5-12 cannot be ranked by any of the above methods each will score 5 points.
6) Tie-breaks - first tie-break is number of Gold medal winners picked, then total medal winners picked then the lowest highest score i.e. one team has a highest event score of 8 (for 8th place), another has 10 (for 10th) then the winner is the team with the score of 8. Final tie-break is a coin-toss.
7) No prizes, although we could ask Dave nicely for a pair of socks  4

Any questions/comments? Happy to tweak the rules/format as suggested.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

127 comments

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
Guardian wrote:

The team pursuit starts with a qualifying round. Teams are seeded in the first round according to their qualifying times – the fastest team competes against the fourth fastest, second competes against third, fifth against eighth and sixth against seventh. The winners of the two heats between the top four teams advance to the finals; the remaining six teams are ranked according to their times from the first round, with the best two competing for bronze. Bewildered? Me too.

This track cycling business is bonkers.

ie, winners of the two semi's (the races between the fastest four teams, in this case GB v Denmark and Australia v New Zealand) go through to the gold medal race, fastest two of the remaining six teams go through to the bronze race.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Is it not, Time for the first 8, top 4 times go though, with 1/3 meeting each other and 2/4

Then its all about winning rather than time, Winners into gold and losers into bronze  39

Ok, maybe I was slightly off with my thoughts  19

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ignore me, i'm still confused by this  19

JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes

So I think I got last and dnq today....might be going for the stage wins now.  102

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

You got 3rd with NZ for the men's pursuit  3

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ah brilliant! my womens team pursuit is last and my womens kieran didn't go!  20  20  20

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Its ok, I've dropped points on having Krupeckaite in the Keirin, best she can do is 7th  20

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well she got 7th ahead of the Russian in 8th which a few people had aswell  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Holy crap, Mears home in 5th  13

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I had 2nd though, and 1st for the mens pursuit, good day for me  1

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I scored 8 points to your 3 then  20

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

drheaton, you should start another thread for points only and keep this for discussion because its getting a little crowded  3

0 likes

:So I think I got last and dnq today....might be going for the stage wins now.  102

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

My fun team:

Men's Sprint: Bauge (FRA)
Men's Keirin: Awang (MAS)
Men's Omnium: Zachary Bell (CAN)
Women's Sprint: Anna Meares (AUS)
Women's Omnium: Sarah Hammer (USA)
Women's Team Pursuit: Great Britain (GBR)

Thanks drheaton!

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Apologies, out on the lash tonight  4 will take a look at the scores in the morning! Don't know where Panarina finished but managed a creditable 3rd in the Team Pursuit.

Raleigh, will add you in with max scores for the first two days.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I can tell you.......She came 15th  19  19

Rank Athlete
1 PENDLETON Victoria
2 GUO Shuang
3 LEE Wai Sze
4 SANCHEZ Clara
5 MEARES Anna
6 SULLIVAN Monique
7 KRUPECKAITE Simona
8 GNIDENKO Ekaterina
9 LARREAL Daniela Grelui
10 VOGEL Kristina
11 HANSEN Natasha
12 KANIS Willy
13 GUERRA RODRIGUEZ Lisandra
13 SHULIKA Lyubov
15 PANARINA Olga
15 MUSTAPA Fatehah
17 GAVIRIA RENDON Juliana
17 LEE Hyejin

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh dear, 12 points for that then  20

Will try and get some points up in a bit.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Right then, scores/results are up in a seperate thread.

0 likes

Mens Kierin: GER Levy
Mens Omnium: CAN Bell
Mens Sprint: FRA Bauge
Mens T Purs: NZE New Zealand 3rd 3pts
Mens T Sprn: JAP Japan 8th 8pts
Woms Kierin: RUS Gnidenko 8th 8pts
Woms Omnium: GBR Trott
Woms Sprint: AUS Mears
Woms T Purs: USA Yanks
Woms T Sprn: CHI China 2nd 2pts

#playing now for stage wins . . .

0 likes

Another good day for me, canada in 3rd  1 so a decent first half, Hansen is leading after 2 events in the omnium for me too (with bell not doing so well). Alot of people have bauge and hammer. so its gonna be tough to beat me now, unless Wanatabe in the keirin the Lithuanian does really badly in the sprint

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think I had you covered TER, I also had Canada for the bronze. I have Awang for the keirin, very good rider (should beat your Jap). Irvine will come good in the omnium (might not beat the Dane) and Shuang should comfortably beat Krupeckaite in the sprint.

But carry on counting your eggs as chickens  19  3

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hansen and Irvine out, but they aint put the hong kong rider out before Irvine  14

0 likes

its gonna be close, Hansen just let me down in the omnium, but he is still 5th at the halfway point.

Wanatabe isn't bad at the Keirin but agree Awang should do better than me in that and so should Shaung, but Shaung may come say 3rd and Krupeckaite 6th. I have 5 points to play with.

I read your 1st team when i first looked at it, which is why i thought it was going to be difficult for you as you originally had Krupeckaite, meaning 3 of your 5 left would have been the same

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just aswell I didn't go with Viviani for the omnium like I thought about, but then though....homeish crowd might lift Irvine a bit  3

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Clancy just took Hansen out in the scratch race, which almost took O'Shea out aswell  19

Hansen got a spare bike and back on, but some nice holes in his suit and track rash  3

0 likes

Hansen must be favorite for gold now....your gonna get a nice decent big score of points for Irvine...

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Its currently

1 HANSEN Lasse Norman 25
+ 2 VIVIANI Elia 25
+ 3 COQUARD Bryan 25
+ 4 KLUGE Roger 28
+ 5 CLANCY Ed 29
+ 6 O'SHEA Glenn 31

Viviani, Kluge, Clancy and O'Shea all have better kilo's, not sure about Coquard.

So I wouldn't say he'll be in the medal's  3

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I am really regretting not picking Viviani now  20

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hansen 2nd fastest and wins gold  14  14  14  14  14  14  14

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

1 HANSEN Lasse Norman 27
+ 2 COQUARD Bryan 29
+ 3 CLANCY Ed 30