Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fantasy Olympic Track Cycling

It was suggested a few months ago that some people on the forum might want to try a fantasy track cycling competition for the olympics.

The idea's simple, pick an athlete/team/nation for each track event and we score the results, the best overall result is the winner.

The ten olympic events are:

Men's Keirin
Men's Omnium
Men's sprint
Men's team pursuit
Men's team sprint
Women's Keirin
Women's Omnium
Women's sprint
Women's team pursuit
Women's team sprint

Schedule is here: http://www.london2012.com/cycling-track/schedule-and-results/

Athlete details will be available here: http://www.london2012.com/cycling-track/athletes/

Deadline for entries is 8pm Wednesday 1st August.

Rules are:
1) Fantasy teams limited to one individual or team from any nationality i.e. you can't have more than one Brit or British team in your own team.
2) Scoring based on the Omnium where 1st scores 1, 2nd scores 2 etc down to 12th scoring 12. Any placing below 12th scores 12. Lowest overall score after 10 events is the winner.
3) DNFs, DQs or withdrawl's of an athlete count as finishing last and will score 12 points.
4) Where non-medal positions are not ranked (see 2008 men's team pursuit and team sprint) the time's from qualification will be used to rank teams for fantasy purposes.
5) Where it is not possible to rank a group of teams or individuals each will be given the score of the highest unranked position i.e. if 5-12 cannot be ranked by any of the above methods each will score 5 points.
6) Tie-breaks - first tie-break is number of Gold medal winners picked, then total medal winners picked then the lowest highest score i.e. one team has a highest event score of 8 (for 8th place), another has 10 (for 10th) then the winner is the team with the score of 8. Final tie-break is a coin-toss.
7) No prizes, although we could ask Dave nicely for a pair of socks  4

Any questions/comments? Happy to tweak the rules/format as suggested.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

127 comments

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Damn totally forgot to put a team in on this. Ah well.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Or in my case I have 2 out there, Awang and Irvine  19

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Feel free to put one in for the last races if you like, will add you onto the spreadsheet and just award you max points for the first two races. I won't count you towards the overall but will include you in for fun.

JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thats a bit harsh...altho the chinese were relegated thay were not dqd...and got silver... or am I missin something... and the gb ladies sprint were relegated too, not dqd... is this sour grapes?..

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

No, just joking really, the teams on 5 and 6 points would have been reversed had China won the gold and Germany come second, that's the point I was making really.

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Good stuff. Russia in the men's TP are my hope to pick up some points later - should counteract the fact that I don't have any Chinese women in anything which was definitely a mistake! Thanks drh, doing this makes it (even) more exciting - I'll certainly be supporting Krupeckaite later on (whoever she is!)  4

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Aye, today should shake things up, there's a load of different picks for the women's Keirin and there's a few different Team Pursuit nation's picked too, hoping for a good result from the New Zealand men and Olga Panarina who was my wildcard pick for the Keirin.

FWIW the order in qualifying was:

GB
Australia
New Zealand
Denmark
Russia
Spain
Columbia
Netherlands

Semi's are GB vs Denmark and Australia vs New Zealand but I have no idea how they work out who's going for bronze as wikipedia suggests that the fastest of the six teams not going into the gold medal match go into the bronze round rather than the losers of the semi's which means that in theory Russia can still come third but no higher and even though they're in the semi's New Zealand can still come 8th!  39

0 likes

Just been trying to work it out...this from the BBC website - "Eight teams will take part in the first round on Friday, with the top two qualifying for the gold medal match and the next two battling for bronze."

Which would indicate that all 8 teams above will race between 16:18 and 16:43 this afternoon, but qualifying for the medal finals is solely on time. But its pursuit, so if you get caught, do you carry on riding to post a time? I don't really geddit.

I'll stop guessing now and just wait until this afternoon...

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Olympics website and Wikipedia both say that the gold medal match will feature the winners of the two races between GB/Denmark and Australia/New Zealand but I agree, it's not clear.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
Guardian wrote:

The team pursuit starts with a qualifying round. Teams are seeded in the first round according to their qualifying times – the fastest team competes against the fourth fastest, second competes against third, fifth against eighth and sixth against seventh. The winners of the two heats between the top four teams advance to the finals; the remaining six teams are ranked according to their times from the first round, with the best two competing for bronze. Bewildered? Me too.

This track cycling business is bonkers.

ie, winners of the two semi's (the races between the fastest four teams, in this case GB v Denmark and Australia v New Zealand) go through to the gold medal race, fastest two of the remaining six teams go through to the bronze race.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Is it not, Time for the first 8, top 4 times go though, with 1/3 meeting each other and 2/4

Then its all about winning rather than time, Winners into gold and losers into bronze  39

Ok, maybe I was slightly off with my thoughts  19

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ignore me, i'm still confused by this  19

0 likes

So I think I got last and dnq today....might be going for the stage wins now.  102

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

You got 3rd with NZ for the men's pursuit  3

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ah brilliant! my womens team pursuit is last and my womens kieran didn't go!  20  20  20

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Its ok, I've dropped points on having Krupeckaite in the Keirin, best she can do is 7th  20

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well she got 7th ahead of the Russian in 8th which a few people had aswell  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Holy crap, Mears home in 5th  13

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I had 2nd though, and 1st for the mens pursuit, good day for me  1

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I scored 8 points to your 3 then  20

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

drheaton, you should start another thread for points only and keep this for discussion because its getting a little crowded  3

0 likes

:So I think I got last and dnq today....might be going for the stage wins now.  102

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

My fun team:

Men's Sprint: Bauge (FRA)
Men's Keirin: Awang (MAS)
Men's Omnium: Zachary Bell (CAN)
Women's Sprint: Anna Meares (AUS)
Women's Omnium: Sarah Hammer (USA)
Women's Team Pursuit: Great Britain (GBR)

Thanks drheaton!

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Apologies, out on the lash tonight  4 will take a look at the scores in the morning! Don't know where Panarina finished but managed a creditable 3rd in the Team Pursuit.

Raleigh, will add you in with max scores for the first two days.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I can tell you.......She came 15th  19  19

Rank Athlete
1 PENDLETON Victoria
2 GUO Shuang
3 LEE Wai Sze
4 SANCHEZ Clara
5 MEARES Anna
6 SULLIVAN Monique
7 KRUPECKAITE Simona
8 GNIDENKO Ekaterina
9 LARREAL Daniela Grelui
10 VOGEL Kristina
11 HANSEN Natasha
12 KANIS Willy
13 GUERRA RODRIGUEZ Lisandra
13 SHULIKA Lyubov
15 PANARINA Olga
15 MUSTAPA Fatehah
17 GAVIRIA RENDON Juliana
17 LEE Hyejin

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh dear, 12 points for that then  20

Will try and get some points up in a bit.

livestrongnick replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Scores after day one:

Gkam: 5
TERatcliffe: 5
drheaton: 6
Stevespro: 6
chrisdstripes: 6
djb123: 9
JAndrewhill: 10
Livestrongnick: 15 (sorry! you picked Russia for the women's Team Sprint and they didn't compete so you get joint last for the race, 10th)

The difference at the top? The Chinese DQ  14

Men's Team Pursuit and Women's Keirin tomorrow!

14  14  14
GRRRRR Doh!!!
bloody Russians, oh well shit happens........ another day tomorrow  24

0 likes

OK, here's mine...
Men's Keirin - T Mulder (Hol)
Men's Omnium - E Viviani (Ita)
Men's Sprint - G Bauge (Fra)
Men's Team Pursuit - Russia
Men's Team Sprint - Germany
Women's Keirin - S Krupeckaite (Lith)
Women's Omnium - T Whitten (Can)
Women's Sprint - V Pendleton (GB)
Women's Team Pursuit - New Zealand
Women's Team Sprint - Australia
Can't wait til tomorrow...

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ok, I think I have mine sorted out....

Men's Keirin - Azizulhasni Awang (Malaysia)
Men's Omnium - Zachary Bell (Canada)
Men's Sprint - Gregory Bauge (France)
Men's Team Pursuit - Great Britain
Men's Team Sprint - New Zealand
Women's Keirin - Ekaterina Gnidenko (Russia)
Women's Omnium - Sarah Hammer (USA)
Women's Sprint - Simona Krupeckaitė (Lithunia)
Women's Team Pursuit - Australia
Women's Team Sprint - China

MIGHT not be my final line up as it is only 1 rider per country for all the sprint events, but the Olympics site had 2 for some  39

Another question that I don't know if it'll work. Say I pick Bauge as above, but he goes and wins another event, Do I get any bonuses  39  3

drheaton replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Another question that I don't know if it'll work. Say I pick Bauge as above, but he goes and wins another event, Do I get any bonuses  39  3

It's a good idea but no, I don't think so. It'll be too difficult to work out bonuses for events where you've picked Team GB or Australia and it'd mean everyone would pick Bauge, Mears, Hoy or Pendleton etc, basically any athlete competing in more than one event. As it stands there's no benefit to picking athlete's in two events so it encourages different selections.

Pages

Latest Comments