Fantasy Olympic Track Cycling

by drheaton   July 16, 2012  

It was suggested a few months ago that some people on the forum might want to try a fantasy track cycling competition for the olympics.

The idea's simple, pick an athlete/team/nation for each track event and we score the results, the best overall result is the winner.

The ten olympic events are:

Men's Keirin
Men's Omnium
Men's sprint
Men's team pursuit
Men's team sprint
Women's Keirin
Women's Omnium
Women's sprint
Women's team pursuit
Women's team sprint

Schedule is here: http://www.london2012.com/cycling-track/schedule-and-results/

Athlete details will be available here: http://www.london2012.com/cycling-track/athletes/

Deadline for entries is 8pm Wednesday 1st August.

Rules are:
1) Fantasy teams limited to one individual or team from any nationality i.e. you can't have more than one Brit or British team in your own team.
2) Scoring based on the Omnium where 1st scores 1, 2nd scores 2 etc down to 12th scoring 12. Any placing below 12th scores 12. Lowest overall score after 10 events is the winner.
3) DNFs, DQs or withdrawl's of an athlete count as finishing last and will score 12 points.
4) Where non-medal positions are not ranked (see 2008 men's team pursuit and team sprint) the time's from qualification will be used to rank teams for fantasy purposes.
5) Where it is not possible to rank a group of teams or individuals each will be given the score of the highest unranked position i.e. if 5-12 cannot be ranked by any of the above methods each will score 5 points.
6) Tie-breaks - first tie-break is number of Gold medal winners picked, then total medal winners picked then the lowest highest score i.e. one team has a highest event score of 8 (for 8th place), another has 10 (for 10th) then the winner is the team with the score of 8. Final tie-break is a coin-toss.
7) No prizes, although we could ask Dave nicely for a pair of socks Big Grin

Any questions/comments? Happy to tweak the rules/format as suggested.

126 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

Well think i can safely say I'll be finishing last!!! Crying Rolling On The Floor

'Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you'

livestrongnick's picture

posted by livestrongnick [1848 posts]
5th August 2012 - 21:35

1 Like

There goes your chance of winning Gkam, both Krupeckaite and Guo knocked out and will come 5th-8th

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3993 posts]
6th August 2012 - 16:07

1 Like

Thinking Not out yet, only 1 race outta 3 run

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9029 posts]
6th August 2012 - 16:14

1 Like

Gkam84 wrote:
Thinking Not out yet, only 1 race outta 3 run

oh right, bbc results wern't clear when i had a glance then!

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3993 posts]
6th August 2012 - 16:41

1 Like

Krupeckaite out. Guo into 3rd ride Plain Face

Gkam84's picture

6th August 2012 - 17:06

1 Like

Scores up, no change obviously as we all had Bauge. All change tomorrow though with the last three events. Hoping for some good results and a top three finish!

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
6th August 2012 - 17:42

1 Like

Guo through to the top 4, Krupeckaite came 5th Angry

Gkam84's picture

6th August 2012 - 18:23

1 Like

Go trotty....

J Andrew Hill

Its a marathon, not a snickers

JAndrewHill's picture

posted by JAndrewHill [1229 posts]
6th August 2012 - 18:36

1 Like

God damn, Watanabe got through the repechage into the top 12 Angry Awang is in Hoy's semi, so hopefully stick to his wheel and get to the final, then I can get 2nd overall Big Grin

Gkam84's picture

7th August 2012 - 14:53

2 Likes

Watanabe 11th Awang 6th

Guo 3rd Krupeckaite 5th

Don't think i'm taking the win.....MIGHT get a podium though Big Grin

:edit, turns out I wont......bugger Devil

Gkam84's picture

7th August 2012 - 17:27

1 Like

We were joint 6th Crying

Awang cost you and Krupeckaite cost me. In the end there was a few of us in the middle of the pack who got jumped on the last events by those with Mears and Pendleton or Levy.

It's been fun though, definitely added something to watching the competition.

Congrats to TERa and to GB for another cracking Olympics.

7th August 2012 - 17:34

1 Like

Awang wasn't the costly one. It was my last minute change of mind to go for Irvine over Viviani in the omnium Crying

Gkam84's picture

7th August 2012 - 17:52

1 Like

Panarina was my really costly one, she's usually right up there but cost me dearly. Oh well, it was fun, what do you think about reviving it for the world champs/commonwealth games?

7th August 2012 - 18:11

1 Like

The worlds yeah, thats Belarus next year. But the commonwealth's aren't until 2014? Still 2 years off Devil

Gkam84's picture

7th August 2012 - 18:34

1 Like

Aye, time to get your planning in then!

7th August 2012 - 18:45

1 Like

Right, I'll pick my teams next week Nerd

Gkam84's picture

7th August 2012 - 18:47

0 Likes

If I look down from the podium I can just about see gkam. Lol
The tortoise beat the hares....
Go trotty!,!

Well done ratty.

J Andrew Hill

JAndrewHill's picture

7th August 2012 - 18:59

1 Like

Well, Hoy's in my Commonwealth team Big Grin the Commonwealth's could be pretty fun as you'd be free to pick English, Welsh, Scots etc as separate nations.

Worlds might be a bit mad, loads of extra events might mean two per nation but picking results for the year after the Olympics should be tricky, nobody at their best, lots of unpredictable results.

7th August 2012 - 19:16

2 Likes

Im goin to pick the manx

J Andrew Hill

JAndrewHill's picture

7th August 2012 - 19:46

1 Like

Hoy wouldn't be in my commonwealth team. I think IF he gets that far he'll be beaten but some random English man who does not respect the SIR Wink

Gkam84's picture

7th August 2012 - 19:59

1 Like

No, he'll be there and he'll want to win in his own velodrome. That'll be his retirement party so he'll make the most of it. For me, it'll be interesting to see who comes through to fill Pendleton's spot. Varnish is young and seems fairly inexperienced in the Keirin/match sprint so there's possibly an open spot there. Plus at two years out from Rio I can see Brailsford throwing in some young riders rather than sending the big guns.

Likewise UCI are extending the women's team pursuit to 4 women over 4km so they'll need another pursuiter to replace Wendy 'a little bit bitter' Hoovenagel.

And yes, maybe IoM for the team pursuit if Cav is still obsessed with Olympic gold.

7th August 2012 - 20:46

1 Like

Cav said tonight, he's 99% sure he'll be trying to get on the track for Rio, He's already said a while ago that the road course wont suit him at all. He said tonight, he's got 3 years on the road and then will look at the track. So I think he'll be signing a 3 year contract with another team and then switching to the track Wink

Trott will come through and fill Pendleton's shoes. She's only doing the omnium to get into the worlds and Olympics because VP and others were still there Nerd

Gkam84's picture

7th August 2012 - 20:54

1 Like

Trott seems to be a world class pursuiter too though so surely she can't do it all? And I'd put more money on her sticking withthe girls in the team pursuit over swapping to the sprint.

Surely Cav can't keep signing for Sky every Olympic year? Do you think the lure of staying part of the British Cycling set up might tempt him to stay at Sky through his contract and all the way to Rio?

7th August 2012 - 21:03

1 Like

I'm really not sure with him. I'm pretty sure he'd like another one day race and more wins in the big tours. He's not going to be given much help with that from Sky as they focus on the GC's. I'd like to see him go somewhere else and keep winning everything, but I'd also like to see him stay and help Sky Thinking

Gkam84's picture

7th August 2012 - 21:17

1 Like

Gkam84 wrote:
I'm really not sure with him. I'm pretty sure he'd like another one day race and more wins in the big tours. He's not going to be given much help with that from Sky as they focus on the GC's. I'd like to see him go somewhere else and keep winning everything, but I'd also like to see him stay and help Sky Thinking

Yeah, I reckon Cav wants one of the classics if not more, to win the Giro points jersey so he's got a full set and to have the most TdF wins in history as well as regaining the TdF Green Jersey. But I think not getting a gold in Beijing is still bothering him and come Rio he'll want to try and sort that out.

The big question for him I guess is 'is he good enough to get into the GB pursuit squad for Rio?', is he really going to be one of the top four guys in the country come 2016, if not then whatever team he's on at the time doesn't really matter. And, if Cav wants some classics, is OPQ really the best team for him with Boonen there?

Also, have tweaked our finishing positions slightly, I realised I'd put something in the rules to take care of ties so I've applied that 'on countback' Smile

8th August 2012 - 7:04

1 Like

With his sprint power and stamina to do 3 week tours. Does anyone else think like me that the omnium would be the race for him? Thinking

Gkam84's picture

8th August 2012 - 14:47

1 Like

Possibly, but it depends on what the UCI/IOC include in the schedule, they're already planning changes to the women's team sprint and team pursuit and there's alot of calls for the reinstatement of some of the cut events so the Omnium (as great as it was) might not be there in Rio.

8th August 2012 - 15:11

1 Like

I think the omnium will stay, its the only "endurance" event in track cycling.

If the Kilo were to come back, expect Hoy to be in Rio Wink

Gkam84's picture

8th August 2012 - 15:41

1 Like

Actually, I think Cav only really wants the gold and probably doesnt care what it comes from so he's probably thinking that the team pursuit is as close to a nailed on gold as possible whereas in the omnium anything can happen.

8th August 2012 - 15:43

1 Like

Also, how much better would the decathlon be with a 5km elimination race? Devil

8th August 2012 - 15:44

1 Like