Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What could we get powered by prisoners over here?

Quote:

Inmates in a small prison in the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais are being offered the chance to reduce their jail terms in return for generating electricity by pedalling on exercise bicycles.

For every three eight-hour shift they spend on the bike, they get one day off their sentences.

It is part of a project recently initiated in Brazil which aims to tackle overcrowding in prisons and keep prisoners away from crime.

They power up car batteries which then get put into street lights in area's where night crime is high.

If they are doing 8 hours a day, most day's. With the right training, the UCI should sign a team up........lol  19

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18832768

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've never seen an exercise bike with a saddle I could spend 8 hours on. Good idea though, I wonder if they can do it in bits, like 2 hours a day?

As for what convicts could be doing, they could be sorting the contents of bins for recycling and thus preventing the eyesore of four different bins outside everyone's house.

Yes, they would complain about their human rights.

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

The endless staircase was for prisoners who were given 'hard labour' on their sentances. You could have received hard labour for crimes such as 'furious cycling'! One problem looking at some (not all) police officers; do you really want superfit criminals? Cream cakes and donuts maybe better!

Bob's Bikes | 11 years ago
0 likes

I could be wrong here....but didn't the victorians have a similar sort of thing the difference being their's was a large roller (endless staircase for the inmates). Perhaps we could reintroduce this but this time connected to a generator.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

The prisoners in an Arizona jail use exercise bikes to create electricity for their own tv's - no pedalling equals no tv  21

Latest Comments