Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Britain's top 10 cycle climbs

With Brit Bradley Wiggins leading the Tour de France, there's never been as much interest in road cycling. If you're a serious cyclist or just want a taste of what the pros go through, get on your bike and head for one of these lung-busting hills

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/jul/13/top-10-uk-cycle-climbs

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

lorettocourt | 11 years ago
0 likes

What happened to the Bealach na Ba? Some of these are barely bumps!

Mostyn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cannot climb for toffee; but I do like climbing the hills of south Wales. I'm sure we could supply the top 5, in the UK, and all of them OS Cat climbs.

Strathlubnaig | 11 years ago
0 likes

The last decent hill you cycled seems to be the best in as far as the memory goes sometimes. Yesterday it was the ride up to the parking lot of Cairngorm ski centre, the last 4km ascends 260m with bits of 15 to 20%, but great views and a cafe at the top, cant ask for better.

bazzargh replied to Strathlubnaig | 11 years ago
0 likes

That is a nice climb but my memory of it isn't so rosy - in freezing rain after 100 miles of the Cairngorm Classic. Hot food at the top was never so welcome.

bazzargh replied to Strathlubnaig | 11 years ago
0 likes
trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bit miffed they didn't cover my old 'stomping ground'. When I used to live back home, our Sunday morning was taken up by doing the A4061 'twin peak killer' - around 40 miles of burning going up hill and frost burn coming down, both ways. This route was from Ogmore Vale up the Bwlch mountain, long and twisty then down into Treorchy and then up the Rhigos mountain, again, long and twisty then down to the cafe van by the Hirwaun roundabout. In with the cake (and anything with sugar in) and off we would go in reverse order.
Now that brings back memories, cracking ride with superb summer scenary - but you risk your life in the winter up't them mountains, and watch out for the suicidal sheep that wish to jump out and scare the lonely cyclist - no teeth, half shaved - and before anyone says it - not the least bit attractive.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

a_to_the_j | 11 years ago
0 likes

some of these are a bit of mainstream pandering...and to be fair i guess they had to spread them around the country a bit....

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Length 1.35km
Height gain 304m
Approx climb time 36 mins

REALLY?

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

I can vouch for the Exmoor climb; hard with spectacular views but some of the others 125m in 2.68 Km? I ride up harder than that on the way to work!

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't class Jiggers Bank as the finest climb in Shropshire but that brief list is aimed at yer average Guardian reading cyclist/Mamil who may have heard of these places (note the geographical spread). Plus it's a nice bit of PR for Simon Warren's two books.

Littlesox replied to Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

If not Jigger's Bank, where is the finest climb in Shropshire?

Simon E replied to Littlesox | 11 years ago
0 likes
Littlesox wrote:

If not Jigger's Bank, where is the finest climb in Shropshire?

Firstly, how do you qualify 'finest'?

Some possible candidates:
The Burway from Church Stretton
Long Mountain from Westbury
Clun to Anchor
Clee Hill via Angel Bank
Minsterley to The Bog via Stiperstones

If you want difficult then try Asterton Bank, White Grit from Priestweston or Hemford from Brockton, up past Bromlow Callow.

I like Ratlinghope to Robin Hood's Butts on the west side of the Long Mynd or turn right and head up to Shooting Box; Wenlock Edge from various angles (mostly short but quiet and scenic) but not the A458 from Harley! I'm sure there are others.

Littlesox replied to Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'll have a look at some of them.

Cheers !

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

What a B/S list, Some you can barely class as a climb  19

Latest Comments