Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rapha Rising - Ring of Death

Is anybody contemplating attempting this challenge?
http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-rising-the-circle-of-death

I can't even begin to think how you would even fit that amount of climbing in, unless you dedicated your days to it. I thought about sticking in a few laps of a hill that I ride up most days (Lancashire Hill in Stockport) but after a quick look on bikehike it appears that I'd need to cycle it almost 250 times.

Does Strava actually monitor your climbing or does it just give you your highest point? As in if you climbed the same hill that had an elevation of 100m five times would it give you a total climbing of 500m or would it just register it as 100m being your biggest climb?

Am I right in thinking that a hill that rises 100m in 1km would be the same reward as riding a hill that raises 100m over 5km? This is pretty basic stuff but I'm struggling to visualise how much climbing this really is.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

_Karlos_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

Road CC should set up a club on Strava  1

Marauder | 11 years ago
0 likes

@SideBurns
Strava I found is very straight forward.
Just upload your route and it should pick up segments that others have already done and compare there time to yours.

Can't vouch for the forerunner but it should be compatible. My Edge 200 is.

It can be really addictive. Enjoy  4

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have signed up to Strava; there are quite a few routes near me. I have discovered what the mysterious green paint is on a cycle track near me; a 1500m segment! With the name of a local runner that I have raced against recently. There is also a bike segment to the top of a hill on my cycle to work route. But how do you do it? I have a Garmin Forerunner 301 is this compatible? Do you just upload a route and the Strava picks up any segments that you have done? Or do you have to work out where the start and finish is and just upload that?

_Karlos_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

Interesting, that Strava ride was linked to on my local road club's site, so he's kind of infamous now I guess!

Do we have a Road CC group on Strava?

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

You know what I said about come to Devon _Karlos_? This chap obviously saw my suggestion!! Some of the leg breakers I was refering to above are on his route. But 8793m in one day? I have just had another look at his route and I was out on the same roads on the same day! This was the ride I mentioned above; I may have seen him doing it! It was quite windy up there on Exmoor

Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm at 67% with 3 days left. However with 1 rest day then a 2 day stage race on rolling terrian I'm probably going to miss it  2

_Karlos_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

This guy did it in one ride!!!

http://app.strava.com/rides/13491877

andyp | 11 years ago
0 likes

christ, bad timing. Did 5100 in a day last month.
Right then. Hill reps on the Isle of Skye it is.

stufield | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm trying to do it, have been banking a quick 25 mile - 700m ride each evening, hoping to get to 4000m and then 2 big rides at the weekend should hopefully get me there.

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

100km Black Rat is 2500m climbed and 100mile is 3500m (I live on the route!) you know you have done a ride!

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

russyparkin; I am up north! To the west of Exmoor. If I have excess testosterone I follow the north Devon Black Rat route along the coast which is a series of leg breakers. Anywhere on Exmoor is spectacular and spectacularly painful... eventually  20

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

I managed 1,500m+ of climbing with 100km off the back of bath to the mendips. no way i'm going to get nearly 7,000 ticked off in a week tho  1

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I did 43 miles in Wales yesterday with, according to Strava, 2,545 of climbing. Our club run regularly clocks around 3k feet, with the highest one I've done at 3,888 feet.

6,188m (the amount of climbing in the circle of death) is 20,301 feet. Even if I had a week off, I'd need some serious preparation to ride these distances/climbs on consecutive days to hit the target.

So, no!

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have just done 2048 metres today in 138km; just come to Devon! Working on wednesday  2 Hopefully the weather will be kind; good luck! And yes if you ride up the same 100metre hill ten times it will give you 1000metres. Not sure how you could 'visualise' a climb; I think if you did visualise hills you would take up Darts or Snooker or something.

russyparkin replied to SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes
SideBurn wrote:

Have just done 2048 metres today in 138km; just come to Devon! Working on wednesday  2 Hopefully the weather will be kind; good luck! And yes if you ride up the same 100metre hill ten times it will give you 1000metres. Not sure how you could 'visualise' a climb; I think if you did visualise hills you would take up Darts or Snooker or something.

where are you sideburn? agreed about devon, i ride mainly dartmoor. generally find i climb 1000ft per 10 miles. should be doable down here,batterbridge/pork hill/merrivale is 2000ft i believe  1

zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes

managed 10% of the total today, it'll be hard to get near that total from London

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's hard doing from London - all the surrounding hills are short and sharp, real leg killers at 10-20% for 100,150m max. So you get wiped out rather fast.

Anyway, day 1 down, 1000m done. There's no way I'll get close to 6800m unfortunately.

Darthshearer replied to bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

It's hard doing from London - all the surrounding hills are short and sharp, real leg killers at 10-20% for 100,150m max. So you get wiped out rather fast.

Anyway, day 1 down, 1000m done. There's no way I'll get close to 6800m unfortunately.

Is that it? Thats a small lump in Yorkshire  3

Try the Old Chevin out of Otley 2km at an avg of 10% with some part at 20%

zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm trying to do this, based in London and out to Essex, 300ft is a big climb =)

Saintyl | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes i'm giving it a go, have a few hills around the lakes to use plus the Pennines.

My local climb up to Hartside and back is just over 600m total climbing for 30k of distance, add a couple of longer rides with 2000m of ascent and job done  1

The real bonus is we get a week to do it not 5 hours  13

Darthshearer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yep, I have 3 days booked off and two of them I will be extending a couple of rides I had planned  1 The other, watching Le Tour  1

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Infact, make the loop slightly longer and you can have 2701 in a day (if advertised highs are correct)

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

IF anyone wants to come give it a try up here, A loop of around 80 miles will give you 2000 odd metres  3

Latest Comments