Home

would you consider leaving sky? He is 27 and could win the Tour De France. However, while Wiggins 32 (could easily have 3 more years) is around Froome wont get the chance to go for it. Last year he should have won the vuelta, however due to team orders he had to wait for Wiggins.

If I were him, I would have a meeting at the end of the season and set out my ambitions. I.E team leader for at least the Giro.

44 comments

Gkam84 [9086 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

And where is he going to go that doesn't have a leader or two already that would take him in?

This is not an individual sport, Froome is using the team as much as Wiggo does to stay at the front every day. Froome just has to be the last man there to help Wiggo if needed, thats why he is up there in GC. If he didn't have the rest of the team to drag them through most of the stage, He wouldn't be there as he'd have to do all the work himself.

drheaton [3318 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Sky's main aim was always to win the tour with a British rider, once that's accomplished they might look at really going for the Giro or Vuelta with someone like Froome or Uran so there'll be more opportunities. If I were him I'd stay and inherit what is clearly the best organised team in the peloton.

You could also argue that Porte has paid his dues and should be allowed a chance to lead the team too although I rate Froome as a real contender for multiple grand tour wins.

cat1commuter [1421 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't leave. I believe Sky will back the rider they think has the best chance to win, and in future that will be Froome.

TERatcliffe26 [4607 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Froome would have known this when he was out of contract at the end of last season, and signed a new (3 year if im correct) contract to stay with sky, therefore he cant really argue too much, and they may have already agreed behind him being leader at another race in the future.

Also as a rider i think many would prefer to rider the TdF just as much as be a team leader at one of the other GT's. And I think froome knows that it may well happen that if Wiggins does win the tour, Froome could well also be on the podium. (also consider that he wasn't really anywhere on a high favourites list untill after his performance last year at the vuelta, he cant really expect to just suddenly be a TdF leader straight away).

As Gkam said, its very much a team sport

Look how many decent riders sky have, they will be given free reign in certain races, porte in the algarve. Uran and Henao the two best young riders at the giro. I think froome may well rider the vuelta maybe with uran, but we shall see.

And i agree with Drheaton, if he bides his time at Sky he will get a shot. Brailsford is a fair man in my eyes

millskid [44 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

BMC at some point will require a new top G.C guy, Froome could be that man.

As someone else mentioned, Porte could also lead a team as could rogers. All these guys wont wait forever.

0 likes

Porte and Rogers don't have what it takes at the moment to lead a team through a 3 week tour. YES, they are great at giving 100% for 75% of the stage. But thats all they have been working on, Unless that changed, then they don't have it in them.

Froome has no need to move. He's a "British" rider in a British team, why would you want to move to a foreign team and then not have the guys you need around you?

Look at the guy's who've moved to BMC this year........  19

Cooks [490 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

If I were Froome, I'd probably go and eat something....

OmegaPharmaSlow... [9 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Johnny Vaughters made an interesting comment on Twitter saying "Thanks for all the folks saying I should hire Froomie. I tried at the beginning of the Vuelta last year. But we don't have the resources." So clearly Froome has the option, or had the option, and clearly teams are interested in signing him. Whether it is a case of loyalty, or riding for a British team, or having a high bonus and salary packet unmatched by others, Froome clearly has reasons for staying with Sky. All I can think now is that with Garmin-Barracuda's new backing from Sharp, they may make another bid, particularly after these performances. Otherwise, teams such as Astana and BMC will always have the supplies and resources to get any rider they want. Both are aging, maybe an experienced but peak form rider will be just what they need/want.

0 likes

If any team NEEDS an in form rider, Its Saxo to keep a license for next year and they have just got more funding.

But its not going to happen, If they couldn't afford him or tempt him at the end of his contract. They sure as hell cant afford to buy him out of a 3 year contract  3

Raleigh [1665 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Lets just hope it doesn't turn turn into 1986 all over again.  22

Froome was clearly making a statement today when he pulled away from Wiggo.

I wouldn't mind if either won it, but Wiggo has been groomed for the role, and Froome to support him.

Mid way through the tour is NOT the time to have a change of leader.

0 likes

Frankly, I'd say even Wiggo isn't of the level of Lemond or Hinault, in the true tour defining attributes at least.
But clearly, Froome knows he has better than super-domestiqueing in him, and being stronger in the Tour now than Wiggo looks, he must be starting to think of bigger things. He would be a Grand Tour winner by now if he didn't have to drop back and help his "leader". So someone will keep a very close eye on him, be that from inside or out of the Sky setup, to see what path he's going onto in the future.
In 2012, Wiggins or Froome in yellow after Paris would make me very pleased indeed- either or Mr Brailsford

0 likes

A repeat of 86 wouldn't work, because from i've seen so far, Wiggo could not keep with Froome if he were to attack and keep going, He's done it twice now. Today and the stage he won....

Raleigh [1665 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Wiggins is probably a better super dom.

So, he'll repay him some other time.

Sorted.

0 likes

We'll see, but Brad is fast becoming a "poster boy" a bit like Cav, Froome is going to be left behind unless he's clever.

If I was Froome, I could engineer to maybe "accidentally" win the tour  3

Keep Wiggo up the front on any and every stage and do as he did the other day, Shoot off the front to "stick it to Sky's rivals" and get 10 seconds here and there, Then on the day before the TT, Don't put quite as much effort in, Just enough to stay with Wiggo. Then STORM it on the TT. Oppppps, I've just taken the yellow by accident  3

Thats if he is really that much better than what he's showing. But Sky are so set on Wiggo winning the Yellow that they'd withdraw Froome on the final stage or something petty like that  19

0 likes

Who wouldn't be tempted to do that?! But Froome looks to be smart enough on the road to have worked out he is better off waiting for three years as a Super Dom, building up some smaller victories and stages, than by attacking his own team mate and jeopardising the risk of teams wanting to take him on. As long as he doesn't begun to say that Wiggo only wins "small, shit races" a la Cavendish and Greipel, I reckon he'll be fine, and a GT winner in the future, if not in the Tour

0 likes

The thing that bothers me is. Wiggo's going nowhere without Froome and Vice Versa, Look at the results of them while they have been at Sky together.

Not that i've actually looked, but just thinking, So if it comes a time when Froome is given the nod by the team, say Giro or Vuelta, lets face it, as long as Wiggo is around, he's going to be number 1 in TdF. So if Froome gets the nod, Will Wiggo be around to dom for Froome??  39

0 likes

I think it would be hard to have such a change in dynamic without some serious shake ups elswehere. For Wiggins and Froome, they may work well together, and may not have success apart, but I don't think they would have success if they switched places all of a sudden. Imagine being the boss one day, your employee gets promoted above you, and suddenly everything changes, nothing will remain the same, it won't just be a minor shift

bashthebox [751 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I think there's a massive underestimation of Wiggo here. froome clearly has the same sort of talent as Wiggo, if not a little more punch in the climbs, but wiggo has dragged back all the attacks so far in the mountains. Froome doesn't have the pressure that the maillot jeune brings, he can zip off the front for a few hundred yards and it doesn't matter. Far too many conclusions being jumped to - winning the GC in le tour isn't about attacking, it's about consistency, has been for years. Not necessarily the way we'd want it, but that's the way it is. And credit where it's due, Evans tried and failed to break Wiggo, so did Nibali. It broke Cuddles, and Wiggo came right back at Nibbles.

Could froome do it better? No doubt, we will see in the tours to come. But not this one. Let's just rejoice in the talent on display.

0 likes

Are you actually watching the live or highlights bashthebox??

Wiggo isn't doing all this dragging back. He's following guys like EBH, Porte, Rogers and Froome up and down the stages, They set the tempo for him, he just has to keep pace.....

Omega, I think Froome has shown enough loyalty in a few different races now to Wiggo, that once he's got his TdF win, he'd be willing to help Froome to something ELSE, Vuelta or Giro. Not this year though because of the Olympics  3

livestrongnick [2118 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Would be good if Sky could send a 100% climbing team(Wiggo,FROOME, Uran, Heano, Nordhuag, Flecha ETC) to Vuelta this year and leave Cav at home, really wanna see Contandor put under pressure  19 he's gonna be like a wild horse stuck in a box. Because it's gonna be very boring otherwise  37

Manx Rider [18 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I think bashthebox has a point, perhaps we are reading to much into Froome's attack. We all know Wiggins is not a jumpy rider and Froome can be. That is how Sky are winning this tour, riding threshold up the climbs and having a bigger threshold than the competition, that is Wiggins strength. It would have been interesting to see if Froome had carried on if Wiggins would have clawed them back, we will never know.

I wonder whether now a good Sky tactic would be for Froome to shadow Nibali (though I guess he would struggle on the descents). If Nibali engineers a great attack Froome will stay with him and ahead of him on gc and if Nibali attacks and fails Wiggins strengthens his position in yellow.

paulfg42 [387 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

A lot of hot air based on Froome apparently pulling away on one climb? Wiggins is the better rider. If I was Froome, I'd make sure I used all my ability to support the team leader so that when contract renewal time comes up I'd get offered a much improved contract. And put a bit of trust in Brailsford to recognise and take advantage of my strengths.

0 likes

Contract renewal time?? He only just signed a 3 year contract after the Vuelta last year, so he's still got over 2 years to go on that.

Wiggins is no better a rider than Froome, as will be shown in the future and if chat coming out of France is anything to go by, maybe even by the end of the tour  3

lob [18 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Can't see Wiggo doing the Vuelta given comments reported elsewhere by him. Froome will have many more chances to win GT's including the TdF, and sure Dave B already realises this and will be planning for it.

Hope other teams including Sky take it to Saxo/Contador in the Vuelta as can't see Andy being fit enough to challenge, if he takes any part in it.

Wiggo to stay as #1 for this TdF unless something happens to him.

robdaykin (not verified) [368 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

My 2p worth

After the Vuelta Sky said they weren't surprised by Froome, and that Froome had just made the breakthrough to the level they believed he could perform at. Just like Brad did in 2009, pre Sky. That's more than just fitness or talent, but also the mental strength to push on and believe you can do it.

2010 was a bad year for Brad and Sky, similarly 2012 until now has not been great for Froome. It's fantastic though to see the Vuelta wasn't a fluke or form performance, and that Froome has the talent to be a GT winner.

I think 27 is a great age to be showing this kind of riding. Given that TdF winners average 29, and Cadel set a new record for age last year, I don't think there's a great hurry for Froome to be pushing and a 3 year deal may well include terms like 'if we win the Tour, you'll have the opportunity to lead the team in a GT in the next 2 seasons'.

Team Sky's charter was originally to get a clean British win in the TdF within 5 years. That could be this year (cross fingers). If it is, then there will doubtless be new goals defined. Until it has been done though, all else is a dstraction, though BC's goals need to be accommodated too (Olympic golds). What Team Sky's new objectives might be are the interesting things to me, after this tour and how Brailsford thinks he can achieve them. Certainly Sky are bringing on talent that will be peaking beyond 2 years time with the younger riders (Dowsettt, Stannard, Swift, Thomas, Uran. Kennaugh and so on and so on), so I suspect 5 years was just a time box to define success or failure to the money men.

Next year I strongly believe if Froome can carry some form and health through the winter then Brailsford will be looking at letting Froome lead a GT, probably with Giro.

And yes, the Tour is a Team thing, but you can see from Cadel, if you haven't got the legs to stay on, no team mate can get you home. Brad has the legs, and is using them how he knows best, tempo riding and conservative, not aggressively burning energy that he will need next week. When he has needed to, he has gone to the front or upped the pace, but only when necessary. Though I suspect leading out EBH was pure enjoyment to be in yellow, feeling good and being a grateful team leader.
Tempo riding might not be as good TV as an old fashioned high mountains 1 on 1 slug fest, but I like the results. Don't worry Andy and Alberto will resume normal service next year.

samjackson54 [54 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I think it makes sense to have Froome working for Wiggins in the rest of this tour, with Wiggins two minutes up, but obviously Froome seems stronger, if he hadnt lost time with a puncture etc... I wrote some thoughts in my blog, check it out if you like, I only started it yesterday  1 ..Link is below my name I think. Should feature somewhere down there?

0 likes

"chat coming out of France"  16

"Obviously Froome seems stronger"

Not that obvious, or did he ride well within his limits on the time trial on team orders?

samjackson54 [54 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

'obviously froome seems stronger on uphill sections' is what I should have written, apologies to paulfg42.

0 likes

Nothing to do with the time trail. Its all about his climbing, He's a better climber than Wiggo and nothing to do with "Wiggo climbs at his own pace and keeps it steady" Froome could leave a few of the "big" guys standing on a climb if he was given a chance to do it

0 likes

Well, Tejay van Garderen is about to find out what happens when a talented rider ignores the needs of the team leader!

Pages