Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Steel framed road bike

I currently have a mountain bike that usually gets used for very light off roading - ex-railway line trails etc. I'm strongly drawn to a road bike I can use for fairly fast runs (no racing) and the odd commute to work (3 miles).

Apologies(!) but aesthetics are important, and I'm strongly drawn to steel framed thin tubing; I'm not particularly fond of the look of carbon bikes. Absolute performance isn't an issue, so a slightly heavier bike isn't a particular worry, and I also believe steel will be more comfortable.

Two bikes have got my attention: the Dawes Clubman and the Charge Juicer Mid. Trying them out seems difficult, as most places don't seem to have them in stock and require ordering, plus I'd much prefer to support one of my local shops.

Both get good reviews, I wondered if anyone here had any opinions?

Thanks in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

spj7 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have a Genesis Equilibrium which I think you can spec within your budget, and it is my go-to bike for pretty much everything. I ride chain gangs on it, I commute on it, I have done TTs on it (not ideal tbh) and I have done Flanders and Paris-Roubaix on it all without a second's thought. It also takes the weather pretty well. It would be an excellent choice and certainly ticks your aesthetics box.

_SiD_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

Donhou stole the show at Bristol with this I thought:
http://www.donhoubicycles.com/rogers-road-bike/

Shand cycles looked good and the Rourke bike looked exceptional.

All over your budget but if you're thinking of going down that road you should really consider a custom frame - marvellous machines.

wilburino | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks very much for all the suggestions, I'll certainly check out the Genesis bikes, and the independents look absolutely amazing.

Thanks everyone!

joemmo | 11 years ago
0 likes

planet-x kaffenback is worth a look, new version is disc, canti, geared or single speed capable so very versatile.

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have a look on the retrobike.co.uk forums - that's where I got my steelie. It's a lovely 80s 531 frame, with a modern(ish) campag midrange groupset (daytona/centaur, if that means anything to you). Got it for under 400 quid.

It's not the lightest, nor is it anywhere near as good to ride as carbon, but it's perfect for whizzing to work in London.

netclectic | 11 years ago
0 likes

Surly Pacer, or Cross-Check if you want the option of a bit of rough stuff.

I can personally recommend the Genesis Equilibrium 20 but it may be a bit over budget. The new 00 looks like a reasonable option. Plenty of scope for upgrades as and when the budget allows.

Steel is real!

John_the_Monkey | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you don't mind a bit of heft, Surly make reasonably priced steel frames - a Pacer might be a good bet.

meehaja | 11 years ago
0 likes

go old, get some classy steel and a nice spec.

I built a reynolds framed Peugeot with dura ace gears, ultegra wheels etc for a tidy price, its a 61cm if you fancy it? £300?

wilburino replied to meehaja | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sounds a nice bike, but way too large for a short 'un like me! Good idea building up an old frame though, thanks.

parf | 11 years ago
0 likes

genesis fantastic steel bikes!

Some Fella | 11 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Genesis?

Some Fella replied to Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wot he said.

wilburino | 11 years ago
0 likes

Gee, that looks very nice, unfortunately comes out a bit over my budget (sorry, didn't state my budget did I?). Ideally could do with being under £1000 but the Condor's are very tempting!

Thanks

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Fratello

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Obviously Condor

Latest Comments