Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

TdF Stage 10 - Mâcon to Bellegarde-sur-Valserine

Hurray! Mountains!

This is where the tour gets exciting, the first HC climb of the race, the Col du Grand Colombier, awaits the riders today (fewer than finished the TT). I can't wait! Today and tomorrow should go some way to answering some of the many questions such as how will Sky handle the consistent attacks that are bound to come from those 4-5 minutes down. Who will end up working together to beat Sky and in the end can Wiggins/Froome be put under enough pressure to crack?

I've made my transfers but a heads up for those who haven't Di Gregorio is in jail and Matt Lloyd bumped his elbow so neither will feature.

What's your tactics? Are there enough KoM points to tempt you to chase breaks or is it all about the GC contenders? Does anyone not have Wiggins, Evans, Froome and Zubeldia in their team?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

56 comments

Alan Tullett replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

One thing I have just noticed since it's gone live.

No yellow helmets on RSNT?? I thought every team had to bring along a yellow helmet for each rider just incase they should be leading the team standings  39  39

I think the helmets are optional, but numbers aren't.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

The break is staying away today. Sky don't need to close is. Nearest man being Scarponi at 10 minutes. Sky only need to defend attacks from the GC men in the peleton. So I think your winner will come from the 25 break away guys

Hopefully Sagan can hold in, But i'm hoping for a LL win  4

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I agree, Sky should really have a man in the break but I guess the break only really helps those looking to attack as it will act as a springboard, Wiggins doesn't need that, he just needs to follow and defend.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

What I don't get, why didn't Sky chuck a guy in the break, Knees, EBH or one of the Aussie's.  39

They don't need everyone to get Wiggo and Froome to the finish and Bernie will babysit Cav through again.....I think Cav may jump off in the next couple of day's. Nothing for him left in this race apart from pain and some hills. If he's nearly ready for the Olympics, give it up and get a rest in.

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

Voigt & Casar from my purist team, and none from my team for tomorrow. All good.  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Composition of the lead group
The 25 riders who are in today's escape are:

-Burghardt and Cummings (BMC)

- Popovych and Voigt (RNT)

- Arashiro (EUC)

- Martinez (EUS)

- Sagan (LIQ)

- Scarponi (LAM)

- Millar and Zabriskie (GRS)

- Peraud (ALM)

- Jeandesboz (SAU)

- Horrach (KAT)

- Casar, Hutarovich and Ladagnous (FDJ)

- Sanchez (RAB)

- Kroon and Morkov (STB)

- Fofonov and Grivko (AST)

- Devenyns (OPQ)

- Gerrans and Goss (OGE)

Take your pick. My purist team has 3 in there, my stage team 0  19

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Two in the escape for me, Jeandesboz and Martinez. Also considered Fofonov last night but he was too expensive.

Most worryingly for Sky there are two BMC guys in the break. I think at some point today, assuming that the break holds together, Evans will attack off the front and try and bridge the gap to Burghardt and Cummings and use them as a platform.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Scarponi in there too, could be an interesting day.

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Goss has gone with Sagan too.

I have one in the break out of 23 - not great!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

That's it, the selection has been made. We'll post the names in the next flash but we can report that, at 35km, the peloton is behind by 2'00" and led by Team Sky. There are 23 in the escape that initially began at the 2km on the initiative of Sagan (LIQ).

I was hoping to get some guys in a break.....but not with 20 others.....points are going to be sparse. I hope Sagan goes for everything though as I doubt many will have him in today  19

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

23 in the counter attack
There are 23 men in the counter-attack but we still don't have any names of those involved...

It seems as though this counter-attack might be the one that's able to escape the peloton. Riders in the chase of Sagan and Grivko include:

Voigt (RNT), Voeckler (EUC), Millar and Zabriskie (GRS), Casar (FDJ)

REALLY?? they are going to let a break of 25 go......

If thats the case, Its going to be a win for someone in the break

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Has anyone seen @tweeterSagan?

It is definitely the funniest thing on twitter atm.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Now Sagan and Grivko are the only two left with 12 seconds left, break over  20

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Purist team

Bradley Wiggins (SKY)
Fabian Cancellara (RSN)
Luis Leon Sanchez (RAB)
Peter Sagan (LIQ)
Andriy Grivko (AST)
Giovanni Bernaudeau (EUC)
Mikel Astarloza (EUS)
Gorka Izagirre (EUS)
Kris Boeckmans (VCD)

Just started my stage hunting team, so gone for

Bradley Wiggins (SKY)
Cadel Evans (BMC)
Christopher Froome (SKY)
Haimar Zubeldia (RSN)
Sylvester Szmyd (LIQ)
Julien Simon (SAU)
Pablo Urtasun (EUS)
Matthieu Sprick (ARG)
Anders Lund (SAX)

I could really do with that break getting away for my purist team though, but 12 chasers, Sagan's got 40 seconds over peleton but 20 over the chase......

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Pfft, if he was a real man he'd do a Hushovd and just go solo.

Alan Tullett replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Good God. He's only 22 (I think). He hasn't built up the endurance yet, plus he has 2 jobs; win the green, almost done, help Nibali, I think we'll see more of this although I doubt if it'll help much. Sky still looking strong, no panic when Nibali attacked, sign of winners. Wiggins is going to do it.

drheaton replied to Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes
Alan Tullett wrote:
drheaton wrote:

Good God. He's only 22 (I think). He hasn't built up the endurance yet, plus he has 2 jobs; win the green, almost done, help Nibali, I think we'll see more of this although I doubt if it'll help much. Sky still looking strong, no panic when Nibali attacked, sign of winners. Wiggins is going to do it.

Sarcasm...

0 likes

Gotta love Sagan trying to get in the break.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sagan in the early break, come on, hands up, who predicted that?

Early break is Sagan, Lemoine and Grivko.

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm just hoping my climbers keep their powder dry for tomorrow.  16

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wiggins
Evans
Kessiakoff
Zubeldia

Sandy Casar (for the break)
Urtasun
Kasechkin
Bernaudeau (because i havent got the points to buy anyone else)
Boeckmans

I was thinking of doing wiggins, evans, froome for my star riders but then I would have had to slash all my DS's to the lowest priced riders I could find. My tactics are to try to get all 9 riders scoring (if that doesn't sound crass!). It's worked for me in previous tours.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

The obligatory

Wiggins
Froome
Evans
Zubeldia

for guaranteed GC and finish line points (they should end somewhere near the front) then my breakaway guys.

Jeandesboz (TdRomandie KoM)
Vichot (won this exact stage in the Criterium du Dauphine)
Egoi Martinez (came third to Vichot on this stage)
Julien Simon (who's bound to do something eventually)
Izagirre (you can't win a stage without him)

Hoping for solid points from my stars and a couple of guys in the break but it just hasn't happened so far this tour.

0 likes

Wiggins (pretty much my only points scorer since Saturday!)
P Velits (could be dangerous at the end if he stays with the lead group)
Brajkovic (was thinking about replacing him but Di Gregorio forced my hand on that one)
Chris-Anker Sorensen for the KOM today and/or tomorrow I hope
T-bo (might go for the KOM now he has his stage win? We'll see)
Kevin De Weert (was top 15 overall last year so might do something in a break)
And my perpetual "might-get-in-a-break" French DS's - Bouet, Jeandesbosz and Julien Simon.

Obv would be great to have someone go big in a break, but I'll be watching more as a Wiggins fan and if I happen to get fantasy points then even better.

Getting very nervous - he should be fine today but we won't know for sure that he can handle the big mountains until the finish tomorrow - until then I refuse to get too carried away...

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well i've been split between a few riders but kinda played safe-ish.....  39

Wiggo
Menchov
da Costa(showed form this season)
van den Broeck(lost alot of time so poss break away)

Vichot
Izagirre
Lund
Engoulvent
Edet

Just 1 in the break would be nice  14

chrisdstripes replied to livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:

Well i've been split between a few riders but kinda played safe-ish.....  39

Wiggo
Menchov
da Costa(showed form this season)
van den Broeck(lost alot of time so poss break away)

Vichot
Izagirre
Lund
Engoulvent
Edet

Just 1 in the break would be nice  14

I admire you for going for van den Broeck, I was considering him for tomorrow as he does look good and lost most of his time due to a crash rather than any loss of form, plus he's so expensive that not many people will have him. Chapeau!

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well this is how ive gone

Wiggins
Evans
Zubeldia
Chavanel (didnt have enough transfers and was the best option i already had, could go in a break, could be there at the end, or could do nothing)(also transfer out tomorrow)

Roux (my break guy)
Izagirre
Grivko (transfer out tomorrow)
Lancaster (aim to replace later in the week)
Boeckmans (cheap, could be useful later in the week)

Pages

Latest Comments