Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Stage 9 - ITT, Arc-et-Senans to Besançon

Big day today, will Cancellara win? how's Tony Martin doing? will Froome go all out or settle for his domestique roll? Lots of questions today and it should be as interesting.

My team, made four transfers (40 penalty points):

Wiggins
Evans
Froome
Gusev
Zabriskie
Jeandesboz
Levarlet
Boeckmans
Izagirre

Unless I have a good day today I'll be calling it a day on my title challenge (a'la Gesink) and shooting for a stage win.

Oh, and the transfer window has closed and the stage has just started. Good luck everyone.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

57 comments

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Aye, Froome is nailing it, but again, only the first split, uphill.

Yes Teej was still fastest at second split by 2 seconds, then was the best part of 10 seconds down at the line.....

So we'll see, Is Froome leaving it all on the start of the stage or can he continue that pace?  39

Gkam84 replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

And they're also reporting at the 10km mark Wiggins is already 20 seconds up on Evans.

30 seconds now being tracked by GPS, he'll catch him half way at this rate

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not great for me....

my team

Wiggins
Chavanel
Rogers
Roy

Casar
Grivko
Lancaster
Zabriske
Izagirre

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have to just say now, my favourite part of this stage today has been that MASSIVE display of the TT guy in the field with the stopwatch rear wheel.

Anyone got a contact out there in the helicopter with a camera?

I want an aerial shot of that to blow up into a poster  3

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Y'know what they say, there's always Froome at the top...

Better day for me (37pts yesterday so that wasn't hard) but should have Brad, Cancellara, Velits, Brajkovic and Grivko in the top 20 today.

Awesome from Wiggins so far!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wow, Evans is dying on his arse out there. Wiggo showing almost a minute up coming to split one.....

GC could be Wiggo from Froome after today  13

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh well, LL is going to score me 0 again today  20 he's 17th just now with 8 riders to come in, more that 3 of them will be faster. Grivko at 15th.....might struggle to get points from him aswell.  20  20

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Was that Froome just showing why its himself and Wiggo who are going for Olympic TT and not Millar?  19  19

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

Another fail from me.  2

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Impressive showing, not just from Froome and Wiggins but from quite a few GC guys, Nibali, Menchov and Kloden have all done well and you could argue that by only losing 4 minutes Schleck could have done worse  19

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wiggo leading GC by nearly 2 minutes  13

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

1,3,7,15 so not too bad. Tried to hedge my bets too much, and went for Brajkovic and Zabriskie instead of Chavanel and AN Other cheap DS. Now it gets interesting - so many good climbers will be looking to attack in the Alps, do you play it safe with Wiggins or go all out for KOM points and stage-winners?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

All I want to see is a HUGE green arrow on the purist's TdF, Sitting 9th, think I might go up  3

:edit: Down 2 to 11th.....time to see its unlimited  4  19

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wiggo, Evans and TVG for me plus 5 points for Rogers. enough to be going up rather than down, now sharing 96th place with alan tullett...

simon F replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

.....time to see its unlimited  4  19

It's only unlimited for the TdP. 4 changes for TdF (or 0 for purist TdF).

I could be wrong but I'd ask Dave before you change anything.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Swapped out Froome for Evans - Doh !!!!!

Still not to bad i suppose. Now to sit down and look at my team for the next 3 / 4 stages.

JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thats it. Nibali is getting transferred out.

JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thats it. Nibali is getting transferred out.

Alan Tullett replied to silas chime | 11 years ago
0 likes
silas chime wrote:

Almost as mean as the BBC 'gloating' over Sammy Sanchez' injuries and the so-called 'boost' to Cav's Olympic chances.  19

Personally,if Sanchez was even a contender then Cav has no chance.....as it is it made no difference to the Olymic Road Race favourites(Greipel/Cav/Gerrans/Goss/Gilbert/Sagan).And if France get their track sprinter Bourgain over the undulations then I think he'll blow Cav away!!

Bouhanni might stand a remote chance of winning but if Bourgain wins his first road race in the Olympics that would be a miracle. I would have thought if the sprinters get dropped then Boonen and the Belgium team in general has the best chance. Sagan has a good chance but he hasn't outsprinted Boonen yet.

Alan Tullett replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

took my penalty yesterday bringing in rogers a day early  1

Evans
Van Garderen
Rogers
Wiggins

Lancaster
Roux
Zabriskie
Boeckmans
Bernaudeau

for me. 5 or six in the top 20 would do

Penalties are an excellent idea if you want a stage victory. In fact they make it a bit easy. Take a big pen one day for glory the next. Useless for the overall though.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

That was a penalty in the sense of having him in my team, as opposed to actually spending points  1

Taking a big pen one day for a big score the next only works if you actually pick the winners. If you're good enough to do that you can probably do it without getting hit for masses of points...

Alan Tullett replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

Wiggo, Evans and TVG for me plus 5 points for Rogers. enough to be going up rather than down, now sharing 96th place with alan tullett...

I didn't see this before my previous comment. Is this a boast, that you're as high as me!! I really fucked up stage 7. I thought it was going to be one of those boring first mountain stages, but, thankfully in some ways, it wasn't. Then, I went for the breaks and I got Pinot, who was down in my team long before Eurosport was on about him every 5 seconds, but Moncoutie doesn't have the legs anymore and De Gregorio did nothing. Chavanal was still too dangerous to let go, unfortunately, although I'm sure he'll win a stage eventually. I thought I needed 2 or 3 big scores to be in contention but I only got 1. Thought about Kessiakoff as well.

Today was much better than I expected as my team was not oriented towards the TT at all. At the last minute I picked out Velits as a good pick at that price range and he produced the goods so I'm pleased at that. Don't tell me how far behind the leader I am as I daren't look. I only look at the overall table to make sure I'm above Teratcliffe26  3  3

I'm playing overall for another week, then I'll go for stages. Should have won last year when I had a good chance. This year I think I'm out of it but I'll pray for a couple more Pinot's and some good choices on the stars. I couldn't watch either stage live as I had my daughter's concert one day and I did over 200k for the first time the next!! I hope I can watch next weekend live, even though stage 11 is probably the key one now. If Wiggins doesn't crash surely he has it in the bag. The only one who can beat him is Froome, who is probably under orders not too!!

Gkam84mk2 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Guess who's going stage hunting  3

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

That was a penalty in the sense of having him in my team, as opposed to actually spending points

Taking a big pen one day for a big score the next only works if you actually pick the winners. If you're good enough to do that you can probably do it without getting hit for masses of points...

Well, I'm glad you didn't spend points on him. The only person I thought of spending a penalty on was Cancellara, but you still need the points, which I didn't really have. It's true you need to get the winners, but now you can have a try every other day, which wasn't possible before. I'm sure quite a few people must be trying this already if they've sussed out the system. I'm still keen on keeping my overall position and I don't desperately need any of the stage prizes. Personally, I think the old system of 2 a day, no rollovers and no penalties was more intellectually challenging, but perhaps less interesting to more casual players.

Alan Tullett replied to Gkam84mk2 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84mk2 wrote:

Guess who's going stage hunting  3

Not me!! I still want the overall even if it's going to take a couple of very, very good stages to do it now! But I believe I can still do it. Just got to think a bit harder about all the tactics.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well that's my second account, its going stage hunting now I have time and this one is staying purist  3

HonestMan1910 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Stage Winner for Stage 9....................well chuffed

Pages

Latest Comments