Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano Dura Ace C24 for 1.92m 90 kg rider?

Hello

I am thinking to take advantage of the forthcoming sales period and upgrade my wheels. I am currently on Mavic Aksium wheels which they came with the bike. I am 1.92m tall with 90kg and I am planning to lose 3-5 more in the coming months. The wheels I am interested are Shimano's Dura Ace C24.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/product...

I read quite good reviews about them saying that they are really good all-around wheels with good stiffness. On some forums however, I read people saying that for riders of my size there might be issues of flexing due to the low count of spokes. However, none of them actually owned the wheels but where talking based on their overall experience and logic.

Anyone actually on my size that owns these wheels? Any pointers?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

RE speed wobble - It's quite an interesting phenomenon. It's really not clear what the cause is, either - it's something to do with the way air oscillates over the rider and bike and results in instability under certain conditions.

I had one, once - on shallow-ish section wheels, but actually this is irrelevant, it's nothing to do with rim depth per se. It was a descent I've done several times on those wheels and deep wheels but had not been repeated fortunately.

Not to be confused with cross winds tugging at the front wheel, which is obviously more of a factor with deep section wheels

simonsti replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm 80kg, 1m75 and have had da c24's for last 2 years. Absolutely no problems, seem fast and comfortable but I too get a wobble but only over 52mph, seem fine up to that point. It is very worrying when it happens though.

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

I had an unpleasant wheel wobble descending the Horseshoe Pass with some 50mm carbon wheels last year. Despite crosswinds on the same place and the faster descent down the north side I was flying down on the same bike and RS80s with no worries at all.

colinth | 11 years ago
0 likes

6'3", 104kgs, no problems at all with my C24's after 12 months. Fantastic wheels

Old Cranky | 11 years ago
0 likes

I am a comparable height and weight to you and I have both the C50 (Ultegra) and C24 (Dura Ace) wheelsets.

The C24 are superb and I have ridden over 10,000 miles on them without any issues. I have descended Col d'Izoard at 60mph using them and experienced no speed wobble.

The C50 are equally good however the bearings in the RS80/Ultegra hub haven't lasted as long as the Dura Ace but they were simple to replace.

Holimoli | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm 1.87 and 90 kg and own some Dura Ace C24's. They've been really great untol today descending a hill. I reached 60 kph and the front wheel started to shimmy. From what I've read this is due to a combination of factors all acting at the same time. However, a couple of factors cited were frame length and saddle height - I.e. more likely to happen if you are tall. I guess if you ride some wheels that offer more comfort - like the C24s - then this is probably happening because they flex a little and the more you weigh the more they will flex.

Fortunately I managed to bring the bike to a stop, although for a bit I really did think I might crash. A change of shorts was definitely in order.

As I said, I don't know if the cause was just the wheels, weight and speed combination. there might have been a couple of other factors that added to those created the wobble. however, it was disconcerting and it might take some time before I descend at that speed again.

step-hent replied to Holimoli | 11 years ago
0 likes
Holimoli wrote:

I'm 1.87 and 90 kg and own some Dura Ace C24's. They've been really great untol today descending a hill. I reached 60 kph and the front wheel started to shimmy. From what I've read this is due to a combination of factors all acting at the same time. However, a couple of factors cited were frame length and saddle height - I.e. more likely to happen if you are tall. I guess if you ride some wheels that offer more comfort - like the C24s - then this is probably happening because they flex a little and the more you weigh the more they will flex.

Fortunately I managed to bring the bike to a stop, although for a bit I really did think I might crash. A change of shorts was definitely in order.

As I said, I don't know if the cause was just the wheels, weight and speed combination. there might have been a couple of other factors that added to those created the wobble. however, it was disconcerting and it might take some time before I descend at that speed again.

You had a classic speed wobble - it's caused by air flow over the bike causing the front wheel to oscillate. Whilst wheels are a factor (if you change the wheels, you might find it happens at a different speed or not at all) it's not transferrable to another bike and rider, since the airflows over that other bike and rider will be very different.

I'm a bit under 80kg and have used my C24s extensively, including commuting in the winter on a steel bike with a decent sized bag - my total weight (me, bike, bag) was prob not far off that of the OP and I've had no issues either. The wheels never feel flexy - I doubt you'd have any major flex issues.

Holimoli replied to step-hent | 10 years ago
0 likes
step-hent wrote:

You had a classic speed wobble - it's caused by air flow over the bike causing the front wheel to oscillate. Whilst wheels are a factor (if you change the wheels, you might find it happens at a different speed or not at all) it's not transferrable to another bike and rider, since the airflows over that other bike and rider will be very different.

Yes, I'm not going to dispute this. All I can say is that it's the same bike and fit that I had before over many miles without problems, but when I changed to the c24s I started getting the speed wobble. As you say my particular combination of factors won't be the same as somebody else's but I'm pretty clear that the change of wheels is what has introduced this problem for me.

ronin replied to Holimoli | 11 years ago
0 likes
Holimoli wrote:

And I was thinking to get some C24's. I was just about fed up with the speed wobble from my Fulcrum Racing Zero's. It's happened so many times, and usually on rough roads. It's worse if it's windy.

I'm 1.84 and 87 kg. Perhaps the low spoke count is a factor (16 for the Racing Zero's front wheel), perhaps they are not laterally stiff enough. I put a Giant P SLR 1 front wheel on (which has 18 spokes).

Over the past 3 days I rode the same route. After an hour on that route there is a descent which in the past I've hit 47 mph.

Day 1 - P SLR 1 front wheel, Racing 0 back wheel - no shimmy

Day 2 - Racing 0's front and back, same route same weather - shimmy

Day 3 - P SLR 1 front, Racing 0 back, same route same weather - no shimmy

The speed on descent:
Day 1 - 40.5 mph
Day 2 - 38.5 mph
Day 3 - 38.5 mph

I thought the Racing Zero's bladed spokes were making the situation worse, especially in the wind, but the C24 doesn't have bladed spokes...Oh well, the search continues  39

Old Cranky | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm similar weight and height and I have the C24 and C50 wheelsets. They are superb and I've not had any problems.

Spangly Shiny | 11 years ago
0 likes

I upgraded to C24's from Ksyrium Elites. I noticed an immediate improvement in overall ride characteristics, but most of all in smoothness. It was almost like having suspension. I am 1.90 and 96KG and have not noticed any flex even with out of the saddle uphill efforts, not even a little brake rub.

robdaykin (not verified) | 11 years ago
0 likes

Two interesting reads:

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-23159755.html

has test data on wheels showing lateral stiffness, which is quite poor for the C24 clincher 2008 model. No idea if that is different now. Either way the article is very interesting reading as it explains why lateral stiffness is interesting.

And this article that tells you why it might be less important than you think.

http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co.uk/2007/11/equipment-wheel-weight-l...

kupepe | 11 years ago
0 likes

Simon i got the Mavic Aksium Pros  1 ... you think that the wheels are ok for a 90 kg rider with 16/20 spokes? OR would i need to go to LBS for Alignment?

simon104 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Kupepe,
I upgraded my Aksiums to the C24s in the last couple of months. I'm 73kg and 172cm. Wheels are great. They are noticeably quicker when accelerating. I won all the sprints against my 2 mates on our weekend at TDF last weekend. Best price I could find was on Tweeks Cycles. Go for it.  16

silly | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've got the C24 tubeless versions. I'm 1.89m and 100kg and haven't noticed any undue flex.

Felt really fast during the Etape Caledonia this year compared to my old alloy PlanetX model B's.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

i'm 1.90m and 100kg, and i've ridden the RS80s (same construction with a lower grade hub) for thousands of miles with very few issues.

they're mid table in terms of stiffness. if that's your primary concern, i'd go for fulcrum racing 3s

jonomc4 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I am looking at these wheels also Vs. American Classic Aero 3's. Not decided which one would be best yet - both available if you search at around £500.

I think you will find the American Classics are stronger - but to be honest I think at 90kg either wheel should be fine.

Latest Comments