Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Closed Vents on tour riders helmets

The claim is closed vents save 3 watts.Sounds about right on a computer programme but surely when the temp is 21c plus the extra heat,core temp must cost more than 3 watts and affect hydration levels to a point where on a 3 week race you must lose more power than you gain?  39

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Got to love good old homeostasis

cat1commuter | 11 years ago
0 likes

Apparently not having sweat evaporate from your head doesn't impair cooling much. Body core temperature won't change, thanks to homeostasis. And they do have vents at the back of the helmet.

Isolated statements such as "saving 3 watts" are meaningless. It depends how fast you're going. If you're stationary, it doesn't save anything! It will save a lot more power in a 70 kph sprint compared to a steady 40 kph cruise, since power required to overcome air resistance increases at the square of speed. (Wish I could cruise at 40 kph.) So I think that means if "saving 3 watts" was at 40 kph, then it would save roughly 9 watts at 70 kph. If, however, the "3 watts" saving was at 30 kph, it would save roughly 16 watts at 70 kph.

nellybuck@msn.com | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's quite interesting to see riders starting in 'normal' vented helmets then switching to the closed ones as the stage gets towards the end and the pace picks up when the advantage would be I guess be greater. Cav did it the other day, and just seen Greipel do it. That would suggest to me that they're not as good for all day riding as the manufacturers would have us believe.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

i think it'll depend on conditions. if it's not a hot day and you're a pro rider sitting in the peloton then you're not in any danger of overheating. Giro claim that their new Air Attack lid draws air in under the front and over the head of the rider, creating a cooling airflow without lots of vents. the Kask ones look to be just the vented design with a solid cover closing off the holes.

come the mountains i'd expect riders to switch back to vented lids. i guess we'll see

big mick replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yea read my post again its 21c plus so i would agree when its cool it be an advantage but to be honest going helmet less would be better in the tour.HOWEVER i would not advocate this.

Latest Comments