Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The Big Ride Cambridge Gold Route July 8th.

Anyone else from road.cc doing this. It's arranged by the Cambridge Evening News to coincide with the Olympic torch coming and may become an annual event. It will raise money for local hospices and other charities. If anyone wants to sponsor me I have a justgiving page under my username, (which is my real name - couldn't be bothered to invent one).

It will be the first time I've ridden over 200k and I rode most of the route last weekend and it's pretty good apart from a dodgy bit getting into Huntingdon.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Tony Farrelly | 11 years ago
0 likes

The other variety are always better

Tony Farrelly | 11 years ago
0 likes

Glad the weather wasn't too bad Alan and the plus side is that with luck next year it should be better and you'll be faster too… especially without the lock.

Alan Tullett replied to Tony Farrelly | 11 years ago
0 likes
tony_farrelly wrote:

Glad the weather wasn't too bad Alan and the plus side is that with luck next year it should be better and you'll be faster too… especially without the lock.

I think I was virtually the only person who had one but I was thinking of stopping off in a pub at one point, but in the end I went round without any big stops. It becomes almost like a race even though we didn't even have chips (of the electronic variety).

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sounds great - the biggest hill in Cambridge is Mill Rd bridge though! Yes the market on Parker's Piece is usually pretty good. No Stilton in Stilton though - I made that discovery a couple of years ago...

Alan Tullett replied to chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

Sounds great - the biggest hill in Cambridge is Mill Rd bridge though! Yes the market on Parker's Piece is usually pretty good. No Stilton in Stilton though - I made that discovery a couple of years ago...

Be fair, there is Castle Hill which I go up most days!! Best hill nearby is Chapel Hill which goes to Barrington. It's about 1:10 for maybe 1/2 a mile. Not much over 100m anywhere within 30 miles or so though.

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

First part certainly. Started in the last group to miss the early rain and at least start out dry and that worked. I don't think there was much rain up to St Ives and I found a nice guy to go along with at a nice opening pace. We all got cheered by Olympic crowds out for the torch at St Ives. Then it got a bit nasty and it was pretty bad up to Doddington, rain and against the wind but still doing a better average than normal. Had a short break there then down to Huntingdon which was mixed weather but still going well. Had a good break in Huntingdon. I ate and drank more than usual to be on the safe side. Then a bit of an uphill stretch with some more rain. Went fast at first then had a chat with a guy on a heavier bike so I slowed down a bit and we went over some rough paths together at a steady pace. Luckily I didn't get a puncture, although a lot of people did. I saw at least 10. Had a decent amount of food in Stilton, malt loaf for a change instead of bananas, but no Stilton alas to go with it. There I took off my wet clothes and as it was clearing didn't put them back on. My undershirt was dry so I set off hoping for good weather and it came. No rain on the way back and did well. Last 15 I was by myself for the only time along roads I know well and so I slowed a fraction and enjoyed the countryside. Got back after 8h 45 total time; 8h 11m cycling for about 128 miles, much better than I anticipated and I wasn't too tired. Enjoyed the French market on Parker's Piece with my wife who met me and scoffed some delicious food. Went home to some lovely food cooked by my daughters. Great day in the end and I'd do it again if it's on although I'd try to go in the first group and break 8 hrs, which shouldn't be difficult if I leave my 1kg lock at home (and I forgot my keys so it was useless) and the new cape I bought that I didn't use (too windy). Longest ride I've ever done, previous was 105 the weekend before, 28 of which was on a front flat, and 70 the week before that. I think I might have caught the bug of long riding. Now I'll have to do it over some hills.

0 likes

How did it go Alan? Wet?

0 likes

Hi Alan, I'm not doing the race but I'm presenting the breakfast show on Cambridge 105 community radio on Saturday morning so I'll give it a mention - good luck!

Latest Comments