Purist prize in TdF

by Gkam84   July 3, 2012  

Hello you lovely bunch. Just dropping in because i have found some wifi so got my tablet going.

I'm playing as a purist this tour as i wont have regular access to change my team or even see highlights.

So my question is, If there is a nice prize for purist winner overall in the TdF, do the same rules as the BMC bike for overall winner apply? I.e. You have to be a paid up player?

Just thought i'd check. I know there is a long way to go, but after looking at the table, there are only a few of us playing purist, so chances are better Wink

57 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

Gkam84 wrote:
Sorry for the confusion folks.

It just happens that the unlimited period is on the rest day this year because of the start of Tour de Pologne.

So I can make changes in the unlimited window to my TdF team then?

It's a seperate competition so I'd think not

posted by rcorbin [213 posts]
8th July 2012 - 16:42

2 Likes

And BTW, I entirely understand why you think it's unfair. But if the "two teams, one player" was ruled illegal, I would simply set one team up in a relative's name and you would never know.

I have to say, I don't think it's "cheating" to run one main team and one Purist. There are many people doing it and I understand Dave is well aware.

posted by londonplayer [671 posts]
8th July 2012 - 16:44

1 Like

londonplayer wrote:
Gkam,

I'm happy to pay the £10 but I didn't because I didn't realise it was necessary under the rules - which, if I'm correct, you don't need to.

And I only paid £7 for my main team Big Grin

RULES???

Are there any? They seem to be made up here and there when needed and then changes again when something else come's up. For example....

Until just before the TdF this year, the rule that had carried over from last year was ONE team per player. But some people on the forum were talking about their second team as a purist team.

So there was a change, you can have one of each. Thinking

Then there is the issue that i'm looking for clarification on, Last year during unlimited periods, players could make changes to their purist team, there were times when unlimited periods came into tours.

So this year, there is an unlimited period, be i'm being told i cannot change my team....but you could through the classic's, thats why the unlimited days were changed around....but the rules are changed again?? Thinking

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
8th July 2012 - 16:49

1 Like

Gkam,

I wouldn't worry too much about people playing multiple teams. In reality, that's no different than there being 5,000 different players of this game that you're competing against.

You could make changes in the Spring Classics between races because not all the riders were riding the same races. And you were limited in how many transfers you could make (4 from memory). I entered one of the races with only 8 riders because 5 of my riders weren't riding that particular race. I think that was true for a number of players though.

re Tour transfers for Purists - I don't remember you ever being able to do that.

Keep calm mate. It's only a game!

posted by londonplayer [671 posts]
8th July 2012 - 17:01

1 Like

Nah the classic's were split up with unlimited periods being put in specifically for the purist's.

Spring Classics Milan - San Remo Sat Mar 17 2012, 0835 unl.
Spring Classics Gent - Wevelgem Sun Mar 25 2012, 1050 unl.
Spring Classics Tour of Flanders Sun Apr 01 2012, 1035 4
Spring Classics Paris - Roubaix Sun Apr 08 2012, 0905 4
Spring Classics Amstel Gold Race Sun Apr 15 2012, 1025 unl.
Spring Classics Fleche Wallonne Wed Apr 18 2012, 1110 4
Spring Classics Liege - Bastogne - Liege Sun Apr 22 2012, 0950 4

5000 different players is fine, but thats not the case, how many have multiple teams? i.e. more that just a purist and transfer?

Yes its "only" a game, but when there are prizes to be won and some players are getting an advantage over other's, then its not a FAIR game.

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
8th July 2012 - 17:11

1 Like

Gkam,

Just on the Spring Classics point, and not that it really matters now because that Comp. is finished, as your copy and paste illustrates, there were both unlimited transfers *and* limited transfers. But I don't think you can compare the Spring Classics to a Grand Tour like the TdF because it's not one defined Tour but a collection of different races.

Tour of Poland begins on Tuesday. Do a team for that and forget about this Tour!

posted by londonplayer [671 posts]
8th July 2012 - 17:18

0 Likes

Gkam, maybe you should start a league, "One person = ONE team!" I'd join.

posted by TheBigMong [218 posts]
10th July 2012 - 11:36

0 Likes

Nah, I've gone for the "if you can't beat them join them" approach and set up a second team to go stage hunting in the rest of the TdF, see if i can't win something.

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
10th July 2012 - 12:19

3 Likes

Gkam84 wrote:
RULES?

Are there any? They seem to be made up here and there when needed and then changes again when something else come's up. For example....

Until just before the TdF this year, the rule that had carried over from last year was ONE team per player. But some people on the forum were talking about their second team as a purist team.

So there was a change, you can have one of each. Thinking

that's not so much a change in the rules as an acceptance that it's what some people are doing. since playing purist and playing with transfers are basically separate, there's no pressing reason to enforce the one-team-per-user rule for people who'd like to do both

Gkam84 wrote:

Then there is the issue that i'm looking for clarification on, Last year during unlimited periods, players could make changes to their purist team, there were times when unlimited periods came into tours.

No, there weren't. not during tours.

Gkam84 wrote:

So this year, there is an unlimited period, but i'm being told i cannot change my team....but you could through the classic's, thats why the unlimited days were changed around....but the rules are changed again??

It's not an unlimited transfer window. the limit is four transfers. the classics were changed to reflect the fact that the different parts needed entirely different teams. that's not the case in a grand tour.

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7506 posts]
10th July 2012 - 16:24

1 Like

Do you need to be a premium account holder to win prizes for the purist TdF league? Is it top 3 or just first for purist?

posted by leortp [68 posts]
19th July 2012 - 15:50

1 Like

I hope so, but not sure as it has never been answered. With quite alot of people having a second team doing Purist, I think its only fair as with the TdF overall prizes, that Purist should be premium aswell

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
19th July 2012 - 16:02

1 Like

Gkam84 wrote:
I think its only fair as with the TdF overall prizes, that Purist should be premium aswell

whyever would you say that, gkam? Big Grin

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7506 posts]
19th July 2012 - 16:05

1 Like

I have a non-premium purist team but I actually agree with Gkam (for once Wink) that really if its a big prize like the bikes for the premium game then it probably should be premium only... the problem is we have no idea what the prize is and it hasn't been stated before the competition started that its premium only therefore I think this year any prizes HAVE to be for all purist players, not just premium users.

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
19th July 2012 - 16:08

1 Like

And just to clarify, unlike Gkam my purist team is crap! I've only had 4 riders for the past week Crying

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
19th July 2012 - 16:10

1 Like

dave_atkinson wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:
I think its only fair as with the TdF overall prizes, that Purist should be premium aswell

whyever would you say that, gkam? Big Grin

I wonder. Nah even if I wasn't near the top I'd still say the same. I had the choice to go for transfers or purist, because I knew I was going to be away most of the tour, I picked purist. I'm doing not bad, but even if I was doing really bad. I'd still like to see the top prizes go to premium users. Like in the transfers part.

The stage prizes are open to EVERYONE, so that is a "normal" users chance to win or enter a schwag Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
19th July 2012 - 16:19

1 Like

Aye, but we knew that stage prizes were for everyone and the bikes for premium users before the tour started. You can't limit this prize to purists on a whim without telling people before we start.

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
19th July 2012 - 16:26

2 Likes

But there hasn't even been a prize announced, there may for all we know, be NO prize. So you can say its a premium only prize when its announced, which its still to be Wink

BTW, i lost my top premium purist today and will be lucky to keep a top 3 unless LL Sanchez has a go tomorrow and lives up to his Spanish champions skinsuit in the TT Crying

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
19th July 2012 - 16:32

1 Like

OK well, I wanted to do a fantasy cycling team. I like the purist concept regardless of my daily availability to change a team, as I like the challenge of setting a team for the tour, and it means you are rewarded or punished for foresight rather than just being able to change your team to whoever is doing well.

So I chose purist.

As this was my first fantasy team of the year I didn't pick a premium account because it's not great value for me as it wasn't clear what advantage I would get from the premium account in the purist league - and I've missed half the season already.

So now I'm 7th in purist. So it'd be great (and fair I think) to find out if there are podium prizes for the purist league and if you need to be premium or not to get them.

I know it's just a game and to be enjoyed - and I have enjoyed it (who doesn't like winning!) but it'd be a bit irritating to not win something for the sake of a tenner, or alternatively pay a tenner and get a prize I'd have got anyway...

A little cheapskate I know, but, you try working in the charity sector Smile

cheers.

posted by leortp [68 posts]
19th July 2012 - 17:03

1 Like

Even if you pay your money now, You will not win anything if it turns out to be premium only, you had to be paid up before the tour started Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
19th July 2012 - 17:15

1 Like

ah okay that makes sense, I didn't know that, I'm glad, that makes it better.

Should have put my money where my mouth/cycling knowledge is.

posted by leortp [68 posts]
19th July 2012 - 17:25

1 Like

I only asked a couple of weeks ago because I was near the top, I had no idea i'd stay there most of the tour. So I didn't start this post for myself to win something. I just wondered where all the players stood.

As long as you are having fun, thats good. swat up on your knowledge and give your all for the rest of the season, You might be able to hit a stage prize somewhere like the Vuelta, Then sort out a wee bit of money to do the whole of next season as a premium and have all the extra tours and races Big Grin

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
19th July 2012 - 17:28

0 Likes

Gkam84 wrote:
Even if you pay your money now, You will not win anything if it turns out to be premium only, you had to be paid up before the tour started Wink

Almost but not quite, the current rule is that you have until the first rest day to join on a grand tour. Although I'd much prefer it if you could join any time, my view is if you're good enough you should be able to sign up (and give us a tenner) and be in with the chance to win the big prize at whatever point the game is at cos it's not as if you hadn't been playing. We didn't do that this year because some premium players thought it would be unfair. Over the winter we'll have a think about changing the rule for next year though.

Tony Farrelly's picture

posted by Tony Farrelly [4160 posts]
19th July 2012 - 17:44

0 Likes

Well it is unfair don't you think?

Say for example, I was doing my transfers everyday and by the TT I was clear in first and I knew only premium players could win that BMC.....Oh hello, I'll pay my tenner because I'm guaranteed to win that bike worth £1700, If i'm not near the top, then I wouldn't pay.....

So get your money in the pot before the tour or first rest day and hope you play well, not play well then cash in because you've been lucky

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
19th July 2012 - 17:57

1 Like

ALSO, that still doesn't answer my question's

Is there an overall TdF Purist prize? and is it premium only? Devil

I've been trying to find out for 13 days now Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
19th July 2012 - 17:58

0 Likes

I agree with Gkam.

If we didn't have to pay before the tour then yeah, most people wouldn't pay until they knew whether they were going to win. Extra races aside the reason most people pay for the shot at the bike. If you just let people pay before the final stage then there's a chance you'll just have one person paying to win and no-one else paying.

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
19th July 2012 - 18:06

1 Like

drheaton wrote:
I agree with Gkam.

If we didn't have to pay before the tour then yeah, most people wouldn't pay until they knew whether they were going to win. Extra races aside the reason most people pay for the shot at the bike. If you just let people pay before the final stage then there's a chance you'll just have one person paying to win and no-one else paying.

Got to agree with Gkam and the good Doctor here......it'd be bad financially for the game too as players wait till the last minute,assess their chances of winning and then pay/don't pay.I think even the rest day is a bit too late in a tour to be honest.

posted by silas chime [208 posts]
20th July 2012 - 11:38

1 Like

The rest day is a good compromise, it allows the greatest number of people to sign up for the premium game (who's money I believe goes into infrastructure which benefits every player, premium and free) without encouraging people to wait until the last minute to pay.

I know I come across as a cynic (which I am...) but from a fairness point of view is it fair that someone who paid for premium membership at the start of the year/tour might be pipped for the prize by someone who waits until the final stage/final rest day or whatever before paying? If they thought they could win, why not pay up at the start...? Because they didn't want to risk their money in case they didn't...

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
20th July 2012 - 12:14

1 Like

People should be paid up before the start of a Grand Tour to win a prize....This lets wait and see if I get a good start method is to be honest ridiculous....But hey what do I know..... Wink

The G Fan Club...

STEVESPRO 79's picture

posted by STEVESPRO 79 [507 posts]
20th July 2012 - 16:08

1 Like

so the consensus was top 4 on purist whether premium or not win something right?

to match the 4 purist riders who leave paris with a coloured (or patterned) jersey to their name.

come to think of it I'm 24 do I win best young purist?

posted by leortp [68 posts]
22nd July 2012 - 20:31

2 Likes

No I think you'll find the consensus says Premium only, Just have a read above. We paid up, so should be the one's reaping any overall rewards Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
22nd July 2012 - 20:51

1 Like