Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

A smashing Idea

So, I had this great idea while I was on the bike today. (where people tend to have their best ideas)

Lets try and create the perfect bike.

Hoorayyy!

Nominate a component, and see if it passes the test of approval from all of us.

Then, after a few days/weeks, we will have a picture of the perfect bike, someone can build it, and road.cc can review it and give it 5 perfect stars out of 5.

The bike's a roadie, bot sure which kind yet, let's let it evolve into whatever it will be.

I will nominate the first component, handlebars, and I go with 3T Ergonova Pro Alloy Road Handlebar, £56 from Wiggle.

Tasty bend, nice ovals on the tops, SEAMLESS transition to shifter hoods.

Taste.

I hope this is a good idea.

Who'll pick the frame?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

daddyELVIS | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd be (more than) happy with the R5ca - it's a top performer (won this year's Giro) and a great looker (very similar to the R3 with those great seat stays).

However, Garmin riders were still riding the R3 at this year's Paris-Roubaix (and carried Vansummeren to victory in 2011) - I don't know about you but some of my regular roads are so pot-holed, I could be on Roubaix training rides at times! So, I' wondering if the R3 is better suited to the typical British road than the R5ca which is perfect for the smooth tarmac of a Grand Tour??

R3 or R5ca - I'd be happy with either. Both have the performance, pedigree, AND looks - all of which ae important if you're building the perfect bike.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

OK, but if we have carbon handlebars, that means no crashing.

If we're going to have an R series, why not the R5ca?

It's like way much better.

But do we want condor?

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

and this is why a 'perfect' anything designed by committee is doomed to failure!

Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes

Woaaaah! Back to those handlebars! I agree the 3T Ergonova are lovely but PRO... that's like saying "OK we're going to make the ideal sandwich; lets start with some Asda value bread..."

So assuming there's no price limit on this steed can we upgrade those Ergonovas to LTD or at least TEAM?

Obviously once you start picking 3T components you have to have the same colour scheme so add in an ARX LTD stem and Doric LTD seatpost...yum!

0 likes

Frame - Cervelo R3

Modern classic, with great success at Paris-Roubaix, and those oh so lovely ultra-thin seat stays.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

No quibble there.

veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes

Lightweight Standard wheels please .... 978g and tough enough to cyclo-cross. £3k

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think the group set should be either Force or Ui2.

Keen on Condor, but how about the Leggero?

hagi | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wilier Zero.7 frame, beautiful looking frame and sub 800g weight.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ok, clearly this is way too subjective for everyone to agree, so how about the Shimano bike is all about the up-to-the-minute tech, and the Campag a bit more about the beauty and craftmanship?

So the Campag has a Condor Super Acciaio frame. Super Record, natch. EPS or mechanical?

Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 and C24's on - what? Trek Madone 6.9?

Since we're fantasising, is now a good time to add a holographic projector to the underside of the saddle that will create the illusion of a following Police car to slow down any idiot drivers?!

step-hent | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm with you on the bars too. Love the shape - most comfortable bars I've used.

Wheels (for the shimano bike) - Dura Ace C24 CL, £560 from Chain Reaction. Not the cheapest, but good value for what you get - amazing hubs, very light rims making them very snappy under acceleration and climbing, and still very strong.

pjay | 11 years ago
0 likes

Frame = Condor Super Acciaio (with Campag groupset, naturally)

Oh, and I'll do the testing...

0 likes

Shimano or Campagnolo??  39

step-hent replied to daddyELVIS | 11 years ago
0 likes
daddyELVIS wrote:

how about one of each? saves arguing...

abandoneur replied to step-hent | 11 years ago
0 likes
step-hent wrote:
daddyELVIS wrote:

how about one of each? saves arguing...

Front tyre Continental, rear tyre Schwalbe?

road ronin replied to daddyELVIS | 11 years ago
0 likes

shimano every time Di2 9000 chainset  19  4

Latest Comments