Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Totally confused - Sunday club runs / Summer Bike / Winter Bike / Training bike / Racing!! Maybe even!!

Folks,

Excuse my naivety/ignorance! But can I ask some advice or knowledge?

I have got back into the road cycling over the last year odd and have done multiple sportives etc, previously spent last 10+ years mtb’ing.

Well certain events crossed my path earlier in the year! – i.e. being knocked down whilst cycling home from work –
My bike got wrecked – I got away very lightly - so I bought a SS for work duties and my never to own dream road bike with the change – De Rosa R838 Athena 2012.

With getting the good bike I took the plunge and joined a local club as well and am holding my own in the B group club runs and am leading out reasonably regularly too, with the intent to step up to going out with the A group at least once a month in the coming weeks.

However I now realise most of the folks on either of the runs ride – well how do I put it – ordinary ‘ish’ bikes, not cheap but not super expensive either.
I’m now also thinking I don’t want to ride the De Rosa during the winter months either and even considering the odd wee club race next year too?

So here’s where my naivety shows up – have I kinda shot myself in the foot by buying the De Rosa, is it a bit overkill for club runs?
Should I really be considering another bike for said club / training / winter runs & keep the good bike for races & perhaps summer / dry days only?

Thanks for taking time to read & I’d really appreciate any thoughts / reflections & club riders knowledge.

Ps – I’m coming 46 so I’m not figuring a career in the club racing circuit just a bit of experience

Laurence

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

moxey | 11 years ago
0 likes

How is it then Andy ?
Mine is due to be built on Thursday.
Cant wait  20

andylul | 11 years ago
0 likes

Arrived yesterday - just waiting for a decent gap in the weather to take it for a spin  1

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thats pretty Taste.

Brand new?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

There's probably a lot to be said in favour of training with a heavier slower bike too fitness wise.

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

the other good thing I find with a winter bike is it makes you appreciate your best bike all over again come spring!

bfslxo | 11 years ago
0 likes

cheers for all the comments guys, has put my mind at ease. Defo stick with the good bike for the club til the weather turns  13 and then get a winter runner.  3

Step-Hent - my new favorite forumla's
N+1  19
N

Aldecycle - that's lovely

Raleigh replied to bfslxo | 11 years ago
0 likes
bfslxo wrote:

Aldecycle - that's lovely

NB, its the same frame as your R838  22

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Look at this frame closely.

Look familiar?  19  19

andylul replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Look familiar?  19  19

That looks just like my bike  4

https://twitter.com/SpongepantsLul/status/222672636965171201/photo/1/large

Super Domestique replied to andylul | 11 years ago
0 likes
andylul wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Look familiar?  19  19

That looks just like my bike  4

https://twitter.com/SpongepantsLul/status/222672636965171201/photo/1/large

Looks nice Andy. Finally got it then. Congrats.

swansfan | 11 years ago
0 likes

If the budget can stretch to a winter/training bike then have it...always nice to keep the 'best bike' a bit 'special' I'd say  3

If not, so what? Ride your dream bike and enjoy it!

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

By the way, another bike for winter/ bad weather is not a bad idea. In fact its a perfect excuse for a new bike  3

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Enjoy the De Rosa. I am the guy on a carbon bike that every beginner can overtake lol. But at least I am happy.

phax71 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Buy whatever you wish and whatever makes you happy I say ..

Assuming you're not Jimmy Carr or some sort of BANKING SCUMBAG and it's the rest of us paying for it ... it doesnae really matter does it.

I'm currently sourcing parts for a Winter Build so I can keep my "main" ride - Pearson Carbon for the dryer months (I typed that without smiling, given that we had 1/3rd of avg June rainfall in one hour here y-day) ...

To summarise, keep the De Rosa for March/April to Sept and something a little less spesh for the wetter months ..

prowlbass | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ride what you're comfortable on.

It doesn't matter what your club rides - our rides are always a complete mix. Some people like to save their Sunday best for race days, some like to ride it daily.

I prefer to ride my high end bike as much of the year as I can, just switching wheels for training or racing. In the wet, I hop on an older bike that can accommodate mud guards so that whoever's behind me doesn't get soaked.

step-hent | 11 years ago
0 likes

You havent shot yourself in the foot - if you enjoy riding it and owning it, and you can keep up and play your part in the club runs, then why does it matter what everyone else is riding?

As for whether you should get another bike, the old rule of thumb is that the number of bikes you should own is n+1, with n being the number you currently own, but that you muyst always maintain that n < D, D being the number of bikes that would result in a relationship breakdown...

Seriously though, it's nice to have a winter bike with clearance for mudguards, if you can. It means you can keep the good bike for dryish days and races, it will stay in better condition and you wont have to put clip on guards on it to avoid annoying your club mates. It also means you can avoid riding the dream bike in the winter when there's a higher chance of crashing it! But if you don't have room, funds or an inclination to own another, you'll be just fine on the De Rosa year round. Despite the protestations of many, carbon bikes don't dissolved in mud or explode on any minor impact. It's tougher than you think, so if you don't want to supplement it with another, just carry on enjoying it!

Latest Comments