Strava & websites which integrate Strava data

by drheaton   June 28, 2012  

Hello,

Does anyone know if Strava has an API (and if so how I find it, google has been surprisingly unhelpful) and does anyone know of any sites which incorporate Strava segment or ride data which are separate to Strava?

I have what could potentially be a killer idea, a tiny bit of coding knowledge and a lot of free time at the minute and want to see if I can make my idea work.

Any help'd be appreciated.

9 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Have a look at RaceShape.com, for one.

posted by Paul J [423 posts]
28th June 2012 - 15:10

like this
Like (0)

Would Strava themselves not help? They're a startup, rather than a big corp. Suppose it depends on whether your idea involves pissing on their chips!

Dodging the saccadic masking

posted by notfastenough [2607 posts]
28th June 2012 - 15:31

like this
Like (0)

Paul J wrote:
Have a look at RaceShape.com, for one.

Cool, thanks, will take a look.

notfastenough wrote:
Would Strava themselves not help? They're a startup, rather than a big corp. Suppose it depends on whether your idea involves pissing on their chips!

I haven't really got farther than a rough initial idea at the minute seeing as I only thought of it this morning...

I could ask Strava but from what I've read their API is purposefully unhelpful to stop you export your data into other systems (or that's what people who've used it say), I'm certainly not wanting to piss on their chips, just take the information recorded and apply it to another idea. I know I can pull individual ride data from the site but I want to pull it off for numerous users and then do stuff to it.

posted by drheaton [3350 posts]
28th June 2012 - 15:54

like this
Like (0)

there's a thread on the forum somewheres about a chap making his own strava app. unfortunately i'm too lazy to find it Smile

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7032 posts]
28th June 2012 - 15:55

like this
Like (0)

dave_atkinson wrote:
there's a thread on the forum somewheres about a chap making his own strava app. unfortunately i'm too lazy to find it Smile

Boo! No wonder we had to wait so long for our Fantasy Forum button!

Shall take a look, it wasn't so much an app I was thinking about, more a website, but it still might useful, thanks Dave.

posted by drheaton [3350 posts]
28th June 2012 - 16:11

like this
Like (0)

I don't know if this is the kind of thing you mean or not (and it may in fact have been posted on here in the first place) but this website takes your ride data from strava and compiles it all onto one map... http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php

No idea if this helps or not!!

posted by pirnie [163 posts]
28th June 2012 - 16:16

like this
Like (0)

There is a fair amount of Strava hacking happening, look at github for some examples. There is a pbwiki page of strava api notes too
https://stravasite-main.pbworks.com/w/browse/

depends on what language you want to write your app in, most stuff seems to be in ruby or php.

Cannondale CAAD10, Condor Terra-X and an orange Brompton.
Ride for East London Velo

zzgavin's picture

posted by zzgavin [195 posts]
28th June 2012 - 18:01

like this
Like (0)

Here's a great list of various third party strava api tools, with some screenshots and tutorials too.

http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/06/turbo-charge-your-strava-data-with-these-third-party-api-tools/

deadhead1971's picture

posted by deadhead1971 [21 posts]
27th October 2012 - 10:45

like this
Like (0)

Veloviewer is good, click on the link next to my signature

Sir Velo

Raleigh's picture

posted by Raleigh [1725 posts]
27th October 2012 - 10:57

like this
Like (0)