Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Strava & websites which integrate Strava data

Hello,

Does anyone know if Strava has an API (and if so how I find it, google has been surprisingly unhelpful) and does anyone know of any sites which incorporate Strava segment or ride data which are separate to Strava?

I have what could potentially be a killer idea, a tiny bit of coding knowledge and a lot of free time at the minute and want to see if I can make my idea work.

Any help'd be appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Veloviewer is good, click on the link next to my signature

deadhead1971 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Here's a great list of various third party strava api tools, with some screenshots and tutorials too.

http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/06/turbo-charge-your-strava-data-with-...

zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes

There is a fair amount of Strava hacking happening, look at github for some examples. There is a pbwiki page of strava api notes too
https://stravasite-main.pbworks.com/w/browse/

depends on what language you want to write your app in, most stuff seems to be in ruby or php.

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't know if this is the kind of thing you mean or not (and it may in fact have been posted on here in the first place) but this website takes your ride data from strava and compiles it all onto one map... http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php

No idea if this helps or not!!

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

there's a thread on the forum somewheres about a chap making his own strava app. unfortunately i'm too lazy to find it  1

drheaton replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

there's a thread on the forum somewheres about a chap making his own strava app. unfortunately i'm too lazy to find it  1

Boo! No wonder we had to wait so long for our Fantasy Forum button!

Shall take a look, it wasn't so much an app I was thinking about, more a website, but it still might useful, thanks Dave.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Would Strava themselves not help? They're a startup, rather than a big corp. Suppose it depends on whether your idea involves pissing on their chips!

Paul J | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at RaceShape.com, for one.

drheaton replied to Paul J | 11 years ago
0 likes
Paul J wrote:

Have a look at RaceShape.com, for one.

Cool, thanks, will take a look.

notfastenough wrote:

Would Strava themselves not help? They're a startup, rather than a big corp. Suppose it depends on whether your idea involves pissing on their chips!

I haven't really got farther than a rough initial idea at the minute seeing as I only thought of it this morning...

I could ask Strava but from what I've read their API is purposefully unhelpful to stop you export your data into other systems (or that's what people who've used it say), I'm certainly not wanting to piss on their chips, just take the information recorded and apply it to another idea. I know I can pull individual ride data from the site but I want to pull it off for numerous users and then do stuff to it.

Latest Comments