Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Thinking of racing

Alright guys and girls,

I am thinking of gettinga BC racing licence and I have a few questions.

1. Road Races

I am not overly ambitious, I have no plans on trying to go all the way through the categories, however I would like to be competitive (stick with the bunch , easier than it sounds). I don't fancy tight circuit races, however a road race might be better. I was just wondering what kind of speeds these guys go at? at cat 4 level.

I assume that there is a lead motorbike at the front of the bunch, is this wrong?

2. Points

I know it is the top 10 that qualify for points. I assume crit and road points both go towards your total points?

If I entered a time trail would those points count as well?

thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yep, I want to cycle at the speed of 24mph for the duration 25 minutes, in which time I will have covered the distance of 10 miles.

In terms of training, just do what you're doing, but 10% faster.

You probably won't be able to go as far, but it will be worth it.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

@darth Thats a bit odd, considering its supposed to be a race against yourself.

You'll definitely be surprised as to how much faster you go in a race, the only way to replicate it is to do motor pacing, which I've only tried once and is proper scary/dangerous.

I'm aiming for a 25 minute 10 over the next ten '10s' I have (summer holidays), which is generally regarded as the standard for a racing club cyclist (24mph)

millskid replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

[quote=Raleigh
I'm aiming for a 25 minute 10 over the next ten '10s' I have (summer holidays), which is generally regarded as the standard for a racing club cyclist (24mph)[/quote]

it is probably m being confused, do u mean you want to get 25min or less in the next ten 10 mile TT, which averages out at 24mph. I dont think i could do that, maintaing that kind of speed would be very difficult.

As for a race, I will def have a go at some point. Probably need some more training as well as joining a club.

Darthshearer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Raleigh, I am sure they do? I maybe wrong of course, but looking at some of the rankings on BC they have entered TT and got points.

step-hent replied to Darthshearer | 11 years ago
0 likes
Darthshearer wrote:

Raleigh, I am sure they do? I maybe wrong of course, but looking at some of the rankings on BC they have entered TT and got points.

I think the point is that most TTs in this country aren't organised under BC rules - they are done under Cycling Time Trials (CTT) rules. Those won't count towards your BC licence points, but if you enter a TT under BC rules (which would probably be in a stage race) then you ought to get the points for that.

withnails | 11 years ago
0 likes

I started racing this year with exactly the same questions - from my experience I'd say just go for it, you won't regret. Definitely join a friendly club first as you'll get loads of advice and friendly faces to chat to pre and post race.

In terms of speed, if you're able to hold 18+mph on your own then you'll be fine in most Cat 4 races. You'll find that the drafting effect and adrenaline will see you averaging nearer 23-25 mph. The hardest skill to learn is racecraft as tayzar says; doing your share in a chaingang as well as good bike handling are essential if you're to be safe and successful.

And, don't worry too much about gaining points quickly - the Cat 4 races can be very competitive and you'll learn a lot in a more forgiving atmosphere. Finally, try different races as the standard can vary quite a lot.

Good luck!

tayzar | 11 years ago
0 likes

You best just get yourself entered in a closed circuit race to start with and see for yourself! be wary off riding in a bunch tho race craft counts for a lot..it's worth doing a few chaingangs if you know of any to get used to working in a group.
Good luck!

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Err, are you sure TTs count to BC points?

Darthshearer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Goto a crit race and watch. You would be very suprised how quick the "lesser" cat riders go.

I would advise joining a local club and doing one of their race nights. But also, being with a club it will help you learn how to ride in a bunch, especially at speed.

Yes the TT go towards your points.

millskid replied to Darthshearer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice, I will go down to the local Thurs night crits at Preston. I am no slouch on my own I can average 20 MPH over flatish. Roads. Is that slow?

Latest Comments