Thinking of racing

by millskid   June 27, 2012  

Alright guys and girls,

I am thinking of gettinga BC racing licence and I have a few questions.

1. Road Races

I am not overly ambitious, I have no plans on trying to go all the way through the categories, however I would like to be competitive (stick with the bunch , easier than it sounds). I don't fancy tight circuit races, however a road race might be better. I was just wondering what kind of speeds these guys go at? at cat 4 level.

I assume that there is a lead motorbike at the front of the bunch, is this wrong?

2. Points

I know it is the top 10 that qualify for points. I assume crit and road points both go towards your total points?

If I entered a time trail would those points count as well?

thanks

10 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Goto a crit race and watch. You would be very suprised how quick the "lesser" cat riders go.

I would advise joining a local club and doing one of their race nights. But also, being with a club it will help you learn how to ride in a bunch, especially at speed.

Yes the TT go towards your points.

posted by Darthshearer [141 posts]
28th June 2012 - 16:23

like this
Like (0)

Err, are you sure TTs count to BC points?

Sir Velo

Raleigh's picture

posted by Raleigh [1725 posts]
28th June 2012 - 22:40

like this
Like (0)

Thanks for the advice, I will go down to the local Thurs night crits at Preston. I am no slouch on my own I can average 20 MPH over flatish. Roads. Is that slow?

posted by millskid [34 posts]
28th June 2012 - 22:59

like this
Like (0)

You best just get yourself entered in a closed circuit race to start with and see for yourself! be wary off riding in a bunch tho race craft counts for a lot..it's worth doing a few chaingangs if you know of any to get used to working in a group.
Good luck!

tayzar's picture

posted by tayzar [17 posts]
29th June 2012 - 9:11

like this
Like (0)

I started racing this year with exactly the same questions - from my experience I'd say just go for it, you won't regret. Definitely join a friendly club first as you'll get loads of advice and friendly faces to chat to pre and post race.

In terms of speed, if you're able to hold 18+mph on your own then you'll be fine in most Cat 4 races. You'll find that the drafting effect and adrenaline will see you averaging nearer 23-25 mph. The hardest skill to learn is racecraft as tayzar says; doing your share in a chaingang as well as good bike handling are essential if you're to be safe and successful.

And, don't worry too much about gaining points quickly - the Cat 4 races can be very competitive and you'll learn a lot in a more forgiving atmosphere. Finally, try different races as the standard can vary quite a lot.

Good luck!

posted by withnails [91 posts]
29th June 2012 - 10:50

like this
Like (0)

Raleigh, I am sure they do? I maybe wrong of course, but looking at some of the rankings on BC they have entered TT and got points.

posted by Darthshearer [141 posts]
29th June 2012 - 11:58

like this
Like (0)

@darth Thats a bit odd, considering its supposed to be a race against yourself.

You'll definitely be surprised as to how much faster you go in a race, the only way to replicate it is to do motor pacing, which I've only tried once and is proper scary/dangerous.

I'm aiming for a 25 minute 10 over the next ten '10s' I have (summer holidays), which is generally regarded as the standard for a racing club cyclist (24mph)

Sir Velo

Raleigh's picture

29th June 2012 - 15:46

like this
Like (0)

Darthshearer wrote:
Raleigh, I am sure they do? I maybe wrong of course, but looking at some of the rankings on BC they have entered TT and got points.

I think the point is that most TTs in this country aren't organised under BC rules - they are done under Cycling Time Trials (CTT) rules. Those won't count towards your BC licence points, but if you enter a TT under BC rules (which would probably be in a stage race) then you ought to get the points for that.

posted by step-hent [638 posts]
29th June 2012 - 17:27

like this
Like (0)

[quote=Raleigh
I'm aiming for a 25 minute 10 over the next ten '10s' I have (summer holidays), which is generally regarded as the standard for a racing club cyclist (24mph)

it is probably m being confused, do u mean you want to get 25min or less in the next ten 10 mile TT, which averages out at 24mph. I dont think i could do that, maintaing that kind of speed would be very difficult.

As for a race, I will def have a go at some point. Probably need some more training as well as joining a club.

posted by millskid [34 posts]
29th June 2012 - 22:28

like this
Like (0)

Yep, I want to cycle at the speed of 24mph for the duration 25 minutes, in which time I will have covered the distance of 10 miles.

In terms of training, just do what you're doing, but 10% faster.

You probably won't be able to go as far, but it will be worth it.

Sir Velo

Raleigh's picture

29th June 2012 - 22:50

like this
Like (0)