Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

tactics

I am currently in a racing league. However it is on a concrete velodrome and I am no sprinter at all (im more of a grimpeur). Im wondering if their is any tactics that climbers can use to out pace some of the sprinters

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

There's always the option of trying to drive the pace and wear the sprinters down, for it to work you'll need a few others to pick up on what you're doing and help out but if it works you have a chance of thinning out the pack and putting the sprinters on the back foot. However, if they keep up you'll be knackered and they might just blow past you.

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

I missed a bit; the most important bit. If you do it and think you have a gap DO NOT LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER. Just go for it!

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

As a climber I used to give up near the line 'knowing' that the more powerful riders would laugh at my pathetic effort. The position was reversed as we went uphill of course! However; I was told about the killermetre (as opposed to the kilometre). Generally with about a kilometre to go (less on a track) the pace eases because no-one wants to lead out or waste their sprint and people look around for a good wheel. If you go for it at the right time (as I said between 1k and 500m to go) you can get a lead that others are not keen to close; you will see pro's demonstrating this technique with occasional success. I have used it to good effect on two occasions. I am not saying it always works, you understand, (I did it a lot more than twice!). Also I remember (I cannot find a reference for this)that Robert Miller the lightly built climber won at least one of his national road race titles in a bunch sprint! So don't just assume that as a climber you cannot sprint; think positive, you may suprise yourself!

Latest Comments