Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Purist Tour De France

I figured I'd start a separate thread for all the purist players out there because we've got some different decisions to make from the standard 'who'll win the prologue'.

My feeling is that most teams will have at least one, but probably two, of Wiggins, Evans and Sagan. These seem like bankers when it comes to consistent points. Likewise Westra will probably be popular but what are your plans for the rest of your slots? Are you tempted to bring more TT guys into your purist team than usual as there's three TTs or will you stick to the usual climber heavy team? Will 7 flat stages tempt you to pick some sprinters and who'll be the big breakaway guys this year?

Cards on the table, I'm tempted to pick one of Hoogerland and Moncoutie who I think will both go after the KoM jersey, there's plenty of points on offer even on the flatter stages this year so fingers crossed one'll try and go for them. I probably won't pick people specifically for the TTs but might pick a sprinter (other than Sagan), someone like Van Hummel. Likewise I might try for some breakaway DSs given the array of KoM points on offer but I never usually get the right guys. At the minute my team looks like:

Wiggins
Sagan
Valverde
Brajkovic
Engoulvent
Charteau
Geslin
Kashechkin
Jeandesboz

but that'll change a fair bit over the next week.

What are your plans and how do you see the race going?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

34 comments

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've had a go at a purist team - but as you can see below, I haven't taken it too seriously.

Jeremy Roy
Johnny Hoogerland
David Moncoutie
Sylvain Chavanel
Sandy Casar
Michael Albasini
Jens Voigt
Amets Txurruka
Gorka Izagirre

My only hope is that all of my riders manage to get in at least one break during the next three weeks.  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think, if things don't change, i'm going to have to play a purist's purist game with NO transfers, even when purist's are allowed to make changes, If i can get on, then I will. If not then this is my three week team

Bradley Wiggins (SKY)
Fabian Cancellara (RSN)
Luis Leon Sanchez (RAB)
Peter Sagan (LIQ)
Andriy Grivko (AST)
Giovanni Bernaudeau (EUC)
Mikel Astarloza (EUS)
Gorka Izagirre (EUS)
Kris Boeckmans (VCD)

manxfelipe | 11 years ago
0 likes

Having a go at a purist team for the first time and ended up with this: