Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Purist Tour De France

I figured I'd start a separate thread for all the purist players out there because we've got some different decisions to make from the standard 'who'll win the prologue'.

My feeling is that most teams will have at least one, but probably two, of Wiggins, Evans and Sagan. These seem like bankers when it comes to consistent points. Likewise Westra will probably be popular but what are your plans for the rest of your slots? Are you tempted to bring more TT guys into your purist team than usual as there's three TTs or will you stick to the usual climber heavy team? Will 7 flat stages tempt you to pick some sprinters and who'll be the big breakaway guys this year?

Cards on the table, I'm tempted to pick one of Hoogerland and Moncoutie who I think will both go after the KoM jersey, there's plenty of points on offer even on the flatter stages this year so fingers crossed one'll try and go for them. I probably won't pick people specifically for the TTs but might pick a sprinter (other than Sagan), someone like Van Hummel. Likewise I might try for some breakaway DSs given the array of KoM points on offer but I never usually get the right guys. At the minute my team looks like:

Wiggins
Sagan
Valverde
Brajkovic
Engoulvent
Charteau
Geslin
Kashechkin
Jeandesboz

but that'll change a fair bit over the next week.

What are your plans and how do you see the race going?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

34 comments

frankiejay2 | 11 years ago
0 likes

See, I think Gallopin will be sprinting, but who knows... I also tend to think Lancaster is a decent TT option to go along with the stage wins. Izagirre and Di Gregorio are on the short list, as well. I don't know about Albasini. It sounds like Green Edge is working for Goss and then trying to get Gerrans a stage win along the way; don't know that there will be room for Albasini.

I was a little tempted to change up the team and go for somebody like Hoogerland or Chavanel on the chance that they do the breakaway thing a la Hoogerland last year, but that's such a dicey proposition for somebody who costs ~25 points.

I think Sammy Sanchez is a good pick. If I would guess he might finish top 5 and win a stage, which would certainly justify a position. By the way, my prediction for the top 10 this year are:

1. Wiggins
2. Evans
3. Hesjedal
4. S Sanchez
5. Gesink
6. T Martin
7. Nibali
8. Leipheimer
9. van den Broeck
10. Horner

I'm going to take Frank Schleck at his word that they are not riding for him, and plus he is not exactly a TT guy. Thoughts?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

That's what so fun about the Purist game, so much is unpredictable!  4

Simon's a good call, Lancaster is interesting. He's a lead-out guy who may get some points from Goss/Albasini winning but not sure if he'll get points himself. You can get decent odds on Izagirre doing well in the young rider comp so he could come good.

I was trying to decide if I wanted to pick a Gallopin/Albasini type rider but with Goss in the team I doubt Albasini will do much and surely Gallopin will be working for Schleck rather than going for glory himself?

Anyone thinking about Sammy Sanchez? With so many downhill finishes on the high mountain stages I'm tempted to have a punt but it seems risky and Evans/Wiggins aren't too bad at descending.

I think it's going to be a close run thing the Purist league, so many of those that'll get high points will be fairly obvious so it's the faffing around the edges that'll be the little difference between the top few teams.

frankiejay2 | 11 years ago
0 likes

In thinking about it, I decided to go after all three (Wiggins, Evans and Sagan), because beyond that so much is a shot in the dark. I feel like this is a two man race this year and Sagan is a virtual lock for a couple stages, if not more. Beyond that, I needed a cheap star and decided on Rogers, since Sky will certainly win a few stages and he has shown good form recently (I have no illusions that he'll score much, but like I said I need a cheap star).

As for DS's I'm basically left scraping the bottom of the barrel. My original plan was to go with Gallopin and four extra cheap guys, but with RadioShack's luck I've settled on Westra, Lancaster and a few extra cheap guys. I dunno if this is the right play at all, but I guess that's the fun of it.

For now...

Evans
Wiggins
Sagan
Rogers
Westra
Lancaster
Simon
Vandenbergh
Chainel

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have no clue, most likely going purist because i'll not have daily access to make changes, so at the moment my team looks like this

Bradley Wiggins (SKY)
Peter Sagan (LIQ) OR Fabian Cancellara (RSN)
Luis Leon Sanchez (RAB)
Bauke Mollema (RAB) OR Tony Martin (OPQ)
Remy Di Gregorio (COF)
Giovanni Bernaudeau (EUC)
Steve Chainel (FDJ)
Gorka Izagirre (EUS)
Mikel Astarloza (EUS)

Can't decide whether to scrap the whole race and just aim for a stage  39

Pages

Latest Comments