Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Recovering from pothole accident, metalwork inserted following fracture to ulna and distal radius

On Sunday was cycling slowly and due to the road conditions didn't see the pothole and was launched into orbit resulting in a very bad displaced fracture. Operated on yesterday and had a open reduction and revision of fracture with screw and plate.

Plan is to contact British Cycling Federation helpline.
Take photographs of pothole and my injuries.
Due to poor state of the public highway, hopefully will be able to make a claim.

Bike didn't have a scratch?

No cycling for six weeks, which would be pretty foolish if I had another accident.

Any other ideas I should include?

Many thanks

Diane

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

it's a good idea to look on http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/ to see if it's been reported. there's a very useful step-by-step guide at http://www.potholes.co.uk/claims/step_by_step_guide that outlines the council's responsibilities and what you can do to check whether they've been meeting them. good luck...

onlyonediane | 11 years ago
0 likes

Managed to take pictures yesterday, will try and ring BCF today if I feel up for it. Grim reality has kicked in now

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Get the pic taken, all too often they mysteriously 'go away' very quickly and without notice when someone's crashed etc.

Hope you're feeling better soon, sounds nasty.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

hope you're on the mend.

the best place to go for advice on how to claim for potholes is on motoring websites, there's plenty of good ones.

the basic requirement for a successful claim is that the council have been negligent in their inspection schedule of the road, or they've been notified that the pothole exists and is dangerous, and they haven't acted to fix it. you'll need to submit a FOI request to determine whether that's the case

onlyonediane | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Dale, taking photograph of pothole not a problem, no witness to accident but was in a state of shock and in a lot of pain. Will see what happens next?

Winton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi Diane

Hope you recovering well after your accident. This happened recently to someone at my club - if you're a BC member then they will direct you to a solicitor who will take on your case. But you'll need photo evidence of the offending pothole and eyewitness accounts of what actually happened.

Cheers
Dale

Latest Comments