Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

To the guy who shouted at me

I HATE YOU!

SO, a little context.

I was doing laps of Hillingdon before racing tomorrow, and there is this one guy dressed up in Greenedge style kit, with a Ridley bike.

Earphones in, to drown out the noise his Mavic Cosmic Carbones were making, he comes storming past me in a blur of sweat and legs, only to slow down a bit further on.

So, I pounced on the oppurtunity for some motor pacing style training, as he was quite content to let me sit on his wheel at 40kph for about three or four laps.

Then, coming onto the final straight, he veers right like an angry lorry driver, admittedly not very abruptly, but inches from my front wheel and with a tailwind, it was a bit much for me, so I swerved to the left and start to pull away from him.

He sprints up to me and dramatically pulls out his earplugs and starts shouting:

"OI, YOU DON'T SIT ON SOMEONES WHEEL-"

At which point I thought I was going to get a bollocking for not doing any turns on the front, BUT NO!

"AND THEN COME ROUND THEIR SIDE, IT PUTS ME OFF!"

(note: ME)

I apolagised, not knowing quite what I'd done wrong. I Was a fair distance away from his right when I started to pull away, just a standard overtaking, similar to the one he had performed on me a while back.

I was pretty much lost for words, I thought I was going to get a smacking, and got ready to scarper, so I just said "sorry," and let him away.

I considered this for a while, and I'd never heard of this rule before, it didn't put either of us in any more danger than his veering tactics, there was nobody behind us, and he didn't see, to mind me being on his wheel for so long, in fact, I think he rather enjoyed displaying his
macho, towing a Youth rider around like a derny.

As I didn't feel to have breached any rules, if there are any rules which you can apply to this situation, I wanted to make him feel bad too, he had right put me off for a while, and I went all shaky. Soooo, naughtily, while he was sweating up the small incline, I pedalled past him with no hands drinking my bottle.

And here ends the story.

Please could you tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

Darthshearer | 11 years ago
0 likes

It appears to me the increase in ignorance is from newbies. They will soon get the ropes dont worry  1

I went passed the Leeds chain gang a couple of weeks ago and said hello to them all (Including a Lizzie Armistead and her Borther) and those who noticed me (others were talking amongst themselves) said hello (including Lizzie  16 )

Adey | 11 years ago
0 likes

Im sure you're right Darth - ive found the waves and nods i get in return far outway the ignores!!
@ Raleigh - don't dwell on your 'experiance' (right word ?) mate and move on!!
Life's too short to dwell on assholes like Mr Ribble!!  3

koko56 | 11 years ago
0 likes

If peeps get angry I think most of the time it would be because they have other underlying problems and it would not be caused by you actions, they just use it as a situation to vent maybe?

Also just for you to know - from the outside this looks like a minor thing to get over and move on. Just imagine the burden of anger they are under and it gives a good perspective.

Cooks | 11 years ago
0 likes

We're all in this together, so I don't see why anyone should have any attitude.

If somebody attatches themself to my wheel, I'll happily tow them, or try to drop them. It's not about being an arse, and I'd never have a go at them, it's just all part of the game. Likewise, if I'm getting towed and the guy in front drops his speed, I'll do my turn.

And I always give a nod to another cyclist.
But not if they're on a mountain bike. Those guys suck.

pepita1 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'll tell you all a little story about my experience of someone drafting off my wheel and being unwilling to take his turn: The teenager, tragically, was the one who got hit by the drunk driver and the teenager and his bicycle were then propelled into me. I survived with a fractured vertebra, scapula, ankle, a few deep cuts and LOTS of road rash, the kid didn't make it. So, what might the message of this tale be? I think it's that chance encounters can have significant consequences, but it's the perspective that one takes on the situation that ultimately affects each of the individuals involved.

Parkaboy | 11 years ago
0 likes

Taking a wheel is accepted when racing and riding with the club and friends. But if I see someone who is minding their own business and doing their own thing, I wouldn't hassle them by treating them as an opportunity to include them in my own training plan no matter what kit they were wearing or riding.

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wow what a story pepital....chance encounters and significant consequences.....I can't imagine how you are feeling; until they make drink driving a hanging offence it will continue. People will take a chance and do it regardless. Hope your physical injuries are healing. Remember that you will be the last to know if this incident has affected you in other ways. Best wishes.

pepita1 replied to SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes
SideBurn wrote:

Wow what a story pepital....chance encounters and significant consequences.....I can't imagine how you are feeling; until they make drink driving a hanging offence it will continue. People will take a chance and do it regardless. Hope your physical injuries are healing. Remember that you will be the last to know if this incident has affected you in other ways. Best wishes.

Sideburn, thanks very much for your sympathy. It was 23 years ago that this happened. The year following, I rode in the same sportive, but only completed the 25mile option, and then I hung up my cleats and sold my lovely cannondale racing bike. It's only since April 2011 that I got back on a bicycle. It's been a struggle dealing with the fear of cars and other cyclists coming from behind (my preferred place is at the rear of the group not only because my power is low but it makes me nervous to have someone riding close behind me) but getting back on the bike has helped me to realise how much I really love cycling. When I get frustrated with my performance on the bike I wish that I hadn't let some irresponsible a**hole take away something that I really loved doing, but I did. And the physical injuries? Well, I just like to think of what Jens Voigt always says, "If I'm suffering, they're suffering too." or something like that!

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

23 years is a long time; there was me thinking sportives were a new thing? One of my clubmates was killed by a drink driver on Christmas eve 1985? the driver, a local business man claimed that he did not stop because he thought he had just hit a deer. Thankfully good police work identified him using a chip of paint. But the CPS decided there was not enough evidence... Consequently, an organisation called 'The campaign against drinking and driving' privately prosecuted him. He asked that he should not get a custodial sentence as his business might suffer. He got just three years  14

waynokio replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

I must admit to having drafted without taking a pull when on a recent sportive, simply because I was over my limit already.

At one point I apologised for this to the guy in front, and received the reply: "Don't worry about it, I'm f***ed as well, just hang on!"

great little story  1

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

BTW @ Raleigh - it was only in this post and some comments in the pictures of bikes thread that meant I knew you were of younger years!

Your comments etc hide your age well (in a good way!) as you have to hold your ground with a bunch of grumpy old men!  20 (speaking for myself here and willing to be joined by any who care to admit it or have a teenage son who reminds them of it!  3 )

mancsi | 11 years ago
0 likes

Do you not love the fact that someones overtaking you and enjoying it? I see it from both sides I love to overtake and respect someone if they're doing it to me. @ SuperDom I think an age aspect to the profile could be good. All you oldies revealing yourselves  3 Says the 26 year old  20

Pages

Latest Comments