Home

The thread in the adjuster barrel of my front brake caliper is shot so I'm looking to replace the whole thing - and probably the back one too as I don't think you can buy single calipers (can you?). My usual practice when replacing bits is to get slightly better quality gear than whatever it is I'm replacing - which in this case is Campag Centaur. So I'd be looking at Athena or Chorus if I followed this rule. I'm curiously drawn to Chorus but it would mean spending more than twice as much (£100+ instead of £40-50). So the question is: is Chorus worth the extra? Or even Athena? I've been quite happy with the Centaur brakes on the whole - could do with more stopping power and better performance in the wet but then couldn't we all?

Thanks all.

3 comments

russyparkin [570 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

i have centaur skeleton brakes i got on ebay(same style as the athena/chorus) from what i can gather the only difference in the skeleton range athena/chorus/old centaur/record etc is the top ones have adjustable spring tension.

the athena / chorus / record all have slightly lighter hardware so record will have a sprinkle of ti/alloy bolts vs steel.

the centaurs are a different shape obviously but are very good. my mate runs them and i have ridden his bike a few times and cannot tell the difference between the skeletons or the centaurs. they look realy nice as well

Martin Thomas [376 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks russyparkin - mine are skeletons too. I think perhaps it won't be worth the difference. After posting I remembered reading a Centaur groupset review from 3 or 4 years back saying it's almost indistinguishable from Chorus. Maybe I'll just save the £50 and buy a nice new jersey with it or something  1

russyparkin [570 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

torm have some beauties that go nicely with my campag gear  1