waving to fellow cyclists

by FATBEGGARONABIKE   June 12, 2012  

Hi, hope you lot can help me, I almost always splay my fingers or do a mini wave at other cyclist but the other morning as I was bimbbling along a nice quiet wide road A chap going the opposite way on a "pedalec" motoring along on the pavement waved at me and the "red mist" started to descend and almost spoiled my day. now my question is was I right to be offended?

9 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I don't think you should be offended, but Marko said it best... have a read of this http://www.velominati.com/racing/rule-43-dont-be-a-jackass/

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way....

DexterPlus Racing's picture

posted by DexterPlus Racing [8 posts]
12th June 2012 - 8:44

like this
Like (0)

Yep, you should have dismounted and made rude gestures at him, before throwing as many bidons as you have at him/her.

Sir Velo

Raleigh's picture

posted by Raleigh [1728 posts]
12th June 2012 - 8:54

like this
Like (0)

This is tougher than it first looks; a pedalec and on the pavement....obviously a twat. Would probably wave back so as not to look a big head but then hope that he achieves enlightenment before he kills and/or brings real cyclists into (greater) disrepute!

posted by SideBurn [764 posts]
12th June 2012 - 13:10

like this
Like (0)

Be human and wave ... sod the bike or mode ... its about not being a twat

richdirector's picture

posted by richdirector [52 posts]
12th June 2012 - 14:25

like this
Like (0)

there are so many reasons a cyclist would develop the Red Mist so why rise to another?

Its not like the culture around us is going to change overnight!

So I would summise that, Yes you may get offended but there is no point in doing so...just ride on regardless...they did Big Grin

posted by arthurkelly [2 posts]
12th June 2012 - 22:02

like this
Like (0)

It's the riding on the pavement bit for me...not saying it is always wrong but I learned not to do it when 11 and still have the scars to show for it. Mind you since then I have cycled on just about everything from a lake, to a busy motorway; including an active runway (and without a helmet)! A few people waved; I think they were waving! Anyone beat that?

posted by SideBurn [764 posts]
13th June 2012 - 12:20

like this
Like (0)

If I was walking down the street and somebody with obviously different interests or background said hello to me, I'd say hello back. Same principles apply to being on the bike. It's just good manners to respond to people if they say hello. No need to get angry...

The Good Shepherd's picture

posted by The Good Shepherd [54 posts]
13th June 2012 - 16:20

like this
Like (0)

I have the problem that I give the BPNoA to other cyclists , often reciprocated . Trouble is I do it in the car. Cyclists don't reciprocate. Why is that ?

posted by wyadvd [116 posts]
13th June 2012 - 21:41

like this
Like (0)

Barely perceptible nod of acknowledgement

posted by wyadvd [116 posts]
13th June 2012 - 21:43

like this
Like (1)