Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Titanium bikes - thoughts or even recommendations.

Hi All,
although I am nearly up to my cravat in bikes here, I am thinking of adding maybe a titanium road bike to my 'collection'.
As my days of racing are long over, I still enjoy the fast Sunday ride to Minehead (some 100 miles round trip) and my daily 40 mile round trip to work - so hopefully this is starting to paint the requirements picture.
Requirements;
1. Light.
2. Titanium.
3. Comfortable.
4. Stiff enough for the hills (of which there are many in my life).
5. Not heavily decalled (just plain Jayne) like the naked look.
6. Good enough for the odd sportive.

I value true experiences of bikes more than internet reading (though some reveiws are good).

Any recommendations????? I have more than enough kit here to build from a frame, or I may consider buying a whole bike - as long as it has what I want.

As always, all input greatly valued.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

tomisitt | 11 years ago
0 likes

Anyone got any experience of Spins? I, too, am thinking of going titanium and wanted something like the MIII Spitfire. I've seen them at bike shows and they do look good, but I've yet to try one. Any thoughts?

Mr. Rossi | 11 years ago
0 likes
Kirky | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have you taken a look at the Spa Cycles Audax?  39

_SiD_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

My frame lasted longer than the original company who made it, but Van Nicholas have continued to push both design and construction. Their current frames are in the same vein, a few club members have them so I can definitely vouch for Van Nicholas, the workmanship and detailing is exceptional.

I think, like a steel frame, it's going to come down to detailing and workmanship.

Best of luck with the search.

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi SID,
thanks for that.
Yes there are some really 'classy' looking frames out there (yours included) it's just that before purchase I was looking for personal 'references' - I don't always subscribe to retailers info.
It's a difficult one, whereas if I wanted a Specialized, Scott or dare I say another Colnago I could at least sit on one and my experience would tell me if it's right or not, however I just don't see titanium bikes/frames anywhere near about in the shops.
I would like to build one from a frame (I know what I like and have, as far as kit is concerned) and I think I should take users recommendations and combine it with people like Fatbirds et al to come up with what I want and bite the bullet.
I have a set of Ksyrium Elites and a full ultegra kit on one of my Colnago's (could be a frame and forks up for sale shortly ;o)) I could just swap over and I can be on the road in an evening - just want to get it right as if its what I'm after, hopefully, it will see me out as far as lifespan is concerned.

Anyway, thanks again.

Regards

Trikeman.  3

_SiD_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've had an Airborne now for almost 10 years.
This was the company that eventually became Van Nicholas.
Back then it was either a Litespeed or an Airborne. Now there seems to be dozens of manufacturers offering Ti.

I've not ridden Carbon so can't do a real comparison but have ridden Steel and Alu.
Far and away the best frame I've had, can't recommend enough. Plenty stiff for what I do (club races, TT, sportive etc). Recently upgraded chain set to Ultegra and it felt as good as the day I first got it. I see absolutely no reason to change now. Still looks as good as the day I bought it, no paint or lacquer to chip, just 2 shiny triangles. Incredibly comfortable once set up correctly.

Frame shapes and materials have really come on since I bought it, but a Ti frame is still a classy looking thing, timeless and always in vogue.

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi All,
thanks for getting back with your recommendations. I have spent quite some time on the net this weekend and can't believe how many titanium bikes are now about. There are several manufacturers and so far all that have been recommended appear to tick my boxes - especially the Lynskey (they are doing a good deal at Fatbirds on those).

Please keep the recomendations coming in - I may have to start wittling my collection down as I think once I get my leg over titanium the others will be just collecting dust.  7

Regards

Trikeman.  3

hammond83 | 11 years ago
0 likes

What you need is a Lynskey Sportive its bit more expensive than others but it will be worth it.

I tried van nicholas euros and enigma and the lynskey sportive is head and shoulders above the others I was sold.It has only one decal and you could probably ask for it not to be put on if you dont like.

The lynskey bottom bracket did not seem to flex (like others) which means it is stiff but am sure you know that? The van nic and enigma didnt seem as stiff to me and the geometry of the lynskey is fast and has clover leaf dropouts, bikeradar gave it 5 out of 5* when reviewed.

You can only buy frame (£1300) but it does have mudguard mounts.

I ordered mine 3 months ago and should be due end of month!

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I'm always looking jealously at my friend's dad'd collection of Enigma bikes, the Etape and a TT bike.

mathewshotbolt | 11 years ago
0 likes

i can highly recommend my Enigma Etape as it is used as my commute and training bike (sometimes doubles as my race bike too)

It is really comfortable, well finished, has just the right look to the brushed finish and can shift if i put the power through it.

Latest Comments