Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giant Defy Composite 3 vs Cube Agree GTC

It's very confusing trying to choose a bike! I think I've decided on carbon for comfort and handling. These 2 are top of my list and doesn't seem much between them - Cube has the 105 while the Defy has Tiagra. Not sure on the superiority of any other components. No real difference on price.

Anyone got either of these or have any comments?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

RobeH | 11 years ago
0 likes

just took delivery of my cube GTC race.
wow what a bike and fantastic spec for the money  16

Mostyn | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have the Cube Agree GTC Pro! I tried many many bikes of different makes before deciding to buy the Cube; and having owned and ridden the Cube for 9, months! I'm so pleased that I chose this bike above all other makes and models in the £1500 to £2000, price range. I love riding the Cube; and I'd certainly buy one again.

Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

Glad to see you went with the Cube - I have an Agree GTC SL and it's a great bike.

As Raleigh says, you definitely will fall off when using clipless. I can also almost guarantee when you fall off it (a) won't be when you use them for the first time as you'll be too careful/nervous; and (b) it will be in front of a sufficient number of highly amused witnesses

paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've been practising in the garage. Mind you, if I'm going to fall off twice, I'll need to practise falling onto my good shoulder!

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

You will fall off twice properly - guaranteed.

The first will be when you try to take your foot off the pedal and you get unnerved, the second when you try to stop.

You will learn from these quickly, but to avoid falling off an unnecessary number of times, practice in a doorway, or with someone holding you.

Then practice leaning on a wall.

Trust me, you only need to fall off twice the first time you get clipless, just practice and get a good feel for te tension.

paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Went with the Cube - just seemed a smoother ride and the components were just that little bit better too.

I was only going to go with a bike that I could test ride and have bike shop back-up with too.

Now I just have to master clipless!

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

Firstly, no-one else can tell you which bike to buy. It's a personal thing, we are truly spoilt for choice these days.

As a result, the two factors of fit/comfort and being happy with your purchase (even if it's just aesthetics or colourscheme) trumps groupset every time.

I have a 9 speed Tiagra (4500) and 105 (5600) and while the 105 shifting is crisper, and there is less effort required to move the front mech, I ride the 9 speed bike more and often and feel the slick-feeling and slightly 'softer' shifting action is not necessarily worse, particularly on longer rides. Haven't tried 10 speed Tiagra but TBH anything from this level and up is going to work brilliantly and be extremely reliable.

RoadBikeRecomme... | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd be leaning towards the Cube. Coming with 105 is definitely a plus against Tiagra.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Snap to that.

But as a warning, Giants are pretty mainstream, how about a British brand, like Condor or even the 'plastic' British Ribble and Planet X?

The Giant defy 2 is about 1200, so for a little more (£60) you could get an Evo Pro or a Sportive Bianco with Ultegra.

Mmmm.

Or Planet X with Red.

Condor's a little more, but a lot cooler.

RobeH | 11 years ago
0 likes

105 over tiagra every time  1

i have a cube GTC race and i love it..i also like the giant range..

Latest Comments