Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pro team mergers

Just a quick question on team mergers and rider transfers.

What happens to UCI points? Do the riders carry them with them wherever they go or if a rider moves to a new team will the old team keep them? And does that mean if Saxo and Liquigas merge will their points total just be whatever the riders left on their rosters earned?

I was wondering because a few teams like FDJ, AG2R and Rabobank are struggling, not as badly as Saxo Bank but still..., and I was curious to know if they could just sign a couple of riders at the end of the season (assuming they don't pick up enough points before then) to bump up their totals and ensure they get their license renewed?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, but its safe to say Saxo are screwed!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't be worrying to much about the UCI points right now, It'll chop and change as Rabo get into their kind of races, They have plenty of climbers, so more built around the longer and harder tours over the one day races. Ok, they didn't show much in the Giro, but ToC was theirs  3

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-NOFRAMES/Template3/layout.asp?MenuId...

Currently 14 of 18, admittedly closer to rest of the big teams than the likes of FDJ and Ag2r but still not doing well.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Where you getting the stats to show Rabo are struggling?  39

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I assume Rabo will throw everything they have at the TdF sending Mollema, Gessink and maybe Kreujswik hoping to get top 5/10 and some stage wins. It'd be nice to see Renshaw do well too.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, that's what Ag2r did last year, signing UCI points rich Iranians.

Weird about Rabo, because they have been in the top ten teams for pretty much ever.

Latest Comments