Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Delete Me

Ok, on contemplation, I was maybe a bit harsh on my LBS  19

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

issacforce | 11 years ago
0 likes

lbs shop wins every time.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

To add to my frustration today, can I get my tyres onto the rims? NO, arghhh  14  14  14  14  14 plus i nicked one of the tubes i bought yesterday, even with using plastic tyre levers they aint budging and i NEVER use levers  14  14  14

road ronin replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

For some balance pro cycles in Nottm is great Scott will often offer discount without being asked is very knowlegable, always helpful when asked for an option or alternative willing to offer advice.

i would always use LBS you build up a relationship with the shop and this pays in the long term  16

velotech_cycling | 11 years ago
0 likes

Pricing is always a troublesome issue - all you have to remember though is that it works something like this:

1. Customer asks retailer for discount.
2. Retailer askes wholesaler for discount.
3. Wholesaler asks manufacturer for a discount.
4. Manufacturer looks for ways to cut costs and servicing the product (spares, advice, training of mechanics etc.) suffers.

End result - a cheap complete product, but when it fails out of warranty, the chances of the spares being available, or the competence to use those spares correctly, is much reduced.

So the individual that was looking for the best price in the 1st place gets a short term advantage, but suffers in the long term.

Contrary to popular belief, the trade in which I work is not a licence to print money - there are plenty of stores going bust even in these halcyon days - in fact there is a gallows joke in the cycle trade - "how do you make a million? Start with two" ...

Obviously it is all a lot more complex than this, but before looking for discount, bear in mind that none of us do our job purely for enjoyment, and with most LBS, which are family-owned and run businesses, if you ask for & receive a discount, all you have done is asked the guy who is just trying to make an honest living, to do more work for less money. OK, there are plenty in that position these days, but think how much you'd like it if your boss said to you - "will you come in to work for 10, 15, 20% less tomorrow?" ... because that is what it comes down to.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thats the thing about living in a city or large town, chances are, you'll have a well know bike shop, from one of the big chain's.

The reason I decided to go to my LBS was purely because of this holiday weekend. It would mean I'd be hard pushed to order the parts and have them arrive in time for Wednesday when I'm away for a week with the bike.

So I just went to get some "cheap" parts and finish the bike off in time for going away, once back I'll fit some better parts  4

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Other than having to buy tyres and inner tubes in a hurry due to punctures, I have rarely found that I need something in an emergency. Waiting a couple of days, or even a week is usually of no consequence.

Mind you, always very handy to live near Decathlon in London  3

Lost faith in t... | 11 years ago
0 likes

damn value and rrps.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was just venting my frustration at prices  3

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

For a minute I thought you were leaving, asking to be deleted!

Now I am just curious as to what the original post said.

Oh dear...........

Tony Farrelly | 11 years ago
0 likes

…although thinking about it that outfit did go bust, maybe they were ahead of their time.

Tony Farrelly | 11 years ago
0 likes

Mind you, the big online retailers will usually get it to you next day. Dunno if they still do it, but back in the late 90s there was one that would deliver same day if you lived within the M25 and ordered in the morning.

Just sayin' for the sake of balance  3

Latest Comments