Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

My First Build

So having had my bike stolen ive gone and spent the insurance on (hopefully) all the required components to build one myself!
Planet x Carbon frame and largely 105 gruppo, Just before i begin wondered if you guys had any top tips or tricks that i may not get from books/online help? Anything appreciated! Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

You know how my first comment on this thread was to not spill any bearings and not to use hammers.

Well, I'll leave you with two words.

Two words which I never want to hear myself say again.

Cotter Pins

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi,
good bit of advice here,
http://road.cc/content/forum/57025-cutting-carbon-steerer

Go a little careful and all should be OK - take time as I'm sure your not in a rush to get it done.

Hope it helps,
Regards

Trikeman.  3

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

cutting carbon?

02curtisb replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I realise this is very stupid (and i pretty practical) but i know the blades are carbon, just having cut through the tube not %100 sure. Unless theres a very dense type they use?  7 What would be the outcome either way in terms of cutting it?

02curtisb replied to 02curtisb | 11 years ago
0 likes

Its carbon, im a dunce!

02curtisb | 11 years ago
0 likes

So most of the way there and definately agree on the workstand. I was too impatient to wait for delivery but definately getting one for general tweaking in the future.

Has any one used a pipe cutter to trim the front fork? Ive seen a few videos and it seems a sensible suggestion - having just struggled with a farily decent hacksaw. Thankfully i cut it too long on purpose but thinking of investing for future trims??

road ronin | 11 years ago
0 likes

Take your time measure twice cut once, a workstand are great bit of kit that you will use time and time again.

My workstand is my best bikes, bike stand, its my bikes maintenance stand, its my bikes cleaning stand, its a leaningpost whem on my rollers

Most of all enjoy the whole experience  26  4

arrieredupeleton | 11 years ago
0 likes
02curtisb | 11 years ago
0 likes

All good tips guys. Appreciate it. Two massive boxes of componenets just arrived and i have a lovely plan for the weekend!
In terms of stands are there any options other than the plethora of fairly expensive £90 ones? Im just being tight but £90ish sounds a bit pricey after things!

Spangly Shiny | 11 years ago
0 likes

Use a torque wrench!

joemmo | 11 years ago
0 likes

get a workstand and proper tools, be methodical and patient.

Before you fit the bars, secure the forks with string or bungees or pad the top tube so they dont swing round and take a chunk out of your toptube.

Don't cut the fork steerer to its final length until you've ridden the bike a few times and got the bar height right.

Likewise, don't cut the cables too short until you've got the bars right.

check the inside of the seat tube for sharp things that will leave nasty scratches on your seatpost.

Don't cross thread the bottom bracket, check the thread is well cut first.

enjoy.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

DO NOT spill any bearings.

Please.

Just don't.

And no hammers.

Latest Comments