Shimano Di2 Electronic Shifting

by DaSy   October 10, 2008  

I saw this at Cycle yesterday on the Shimano stand, and had a go on the bike they had set up with it in a turbo trainer. The shifting is awesome, very fast and quiet - except for this electronic servo sound. The way the front mech trims itself as you go up and down the block at the back is also very nice.

I can't imagine wanting it on my bike though, there are lots of wires and batteries and control gubbins that just look way too ugly to hang off my Litespeed.

Also, Im not sure quite what they have solved with this, it weighs more, is more complex and prone to problems, and still just changes gear like the mechanical one did.

6 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

We were handing them out... anyhows, it is difficult to know (outside the pro peloton) who's going to stump up the extra for Di2. If you're a time triallist and you're loaded, then rejoice: you can have shifters anywhere you want on your bars, and as many as you like. Other than that the benefits aren't as tangible. And you're right, it's not the prettiest. Especially that little control unit thing.

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7199 posts]
10th October 2008 - 11:57

like this
Like (0)

I remember the Continental stand really clearly, not at all sure what they were selling.....tyres or something, but the staff were very, errr.. helpful!

Complicating matters since 1965

DaSy's picture

posted by DaSy [648 posts]
10th October 2008 - 12:27

like this
Like (0)

we've got parmesan, bruschetta and red wine courtesy of the laydeez from Belvedere Bike Hotel in Riccione... there's Ferrero Rocher too. Monsieur.

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7199 posts]
10th October 2008 - 13:12

like this
Like (0)

...please Dave - I'll be pitching up at around 11 and getting what I can.

Sounds like the continental stand is worth a visit...!

posted by the-yorkshire-p... [179 posts]
10th October 2008 - 13:33

like this
Like (0)

in my mind....ooohh there I go again. I'm sure it was tyres on their stand, I've been going over and over it...tyres, yeah.

Complicating matters since 1965

DaSy's picture

posted by DaSy [648 posts]
10th October 2008 - 14:43

like this
Like (0)

this will remind you then

DSC_0529-vi.jpg

If it is over then it is not the end, if it is the end then it is not over yet
www.rouleur.cc

jay cee's picture

posted by jay cee [17 posts]