Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro stage 20

What are we expecting today? Long stage - maybe an early break will get quite a big gap before the peleton start really working. Pirazzi chasing Rabottini for the KOM could be fun. And Cav needs J-Rod to finish outside the top 4 to hang on to the maglia rossa. Not to mention - can anybody break Hesjedal?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

manxfelipe | 11 years ago
0 likes

With the new generation of Italian sprinters coming through they might revise the points competition in the next couple of years to favour sprinters but the race between Cav and J-Rod this year has added a further bit of intrigue to what has been a sensational Giro!

I honestly believe you could make a case that both the pink and red jerseys deserve to be shared by Hesjedal & J-Rod and Cav & J-Rod respectively because they have all lit up the race in equal measure and none have been head and shoulders above the other over the 3 weeks!

That said, Ryder will get the pink in the ITT, J-Rod gets the red and Cav will get that extra motivation he needs to come back and win the Giro points competition next year so in some ways everyones a winner!  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm just home, recorded it and thanks to Ant Mccrossan again, i didn't miss a moment of the race via the wifi on my bus  19

I'm happy that J-Rod will still have a jersey won after tomorrow  4

Although i'll say this, for what might be the only time in my life, I do feel sorry for Cav, he's dragged himself though the WHOLE tour....for what? If he'd thought that J-Rod was going to take the jersey i'm sure he would have hopped off many stages ago.

Rvizzle | 11 years ago
0 likes

can't believe this thread is all about the points. what about De Gendt's simply awe inspiring breakaway!? Now that's a ride!

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Fair enough, i was just giving my side on how i see it, consistent finishing across all stages is through the GC in my opinion. on hilly stages gaining time over rivals is a reward, on a flat stage most come in on the same time, not much other reward other than points.

I understand what everyone is saying and could have had it won....but then if the points is across all, could they not introduce a sprinters jersey in the giro? they have enough other awards/competitions

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, the race did its best to stop Cav from taking the jersey through crashes and technical finishes but he still came within a point of taking it anyway, it was an excellent ride.

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

The Tour points jersey is for sprinters. The Giro points jersey is for consistency. Different GT's, different rules, different game. I don't see anything wrong with that.

And surely, if we're going to be hacked off with another rider, it should probably be Ferrari. JRod just did what he does, as did Cav.

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

The question is - was J-Rod thinking "If I catch Scarponi I get the points jersey"? If so, fair play. If, as is most likely, he was riding solely for GC, and the Maglia Rossa will end up being a consolation, then I feel sorry for Cav. J-Rod went for the stage wins early on because a) he could and b) the time bonuses, not the points.

Having said that, the organisers got it about right with the balance - if a top sprinter had taken good points on all the flat stages, he would've won the jersey. Cav got caught in 2 crashes and that ended up being the difference.

Allez Ryder - hope he knows I'll be £250 richer if he wins tomorrow!

0 likes

And to the not sportsmanlike, im not competing with him, if i was competing with him id act appropriately, but as a fan, i respect him just expressing a displeasure

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Rodriguez has earned the most points, fairs fair. I actually like how the points jersey is awarded in the Giro and all credit to Rodriguez for being aggressive going after stages whilst battling in the GC unlike Basso or Scarponi.

spongebob | 11 years ago
0 likes

Undeserved?

How so

0 likes

Rodriguez can go and f**k off!!

Cant believe he is gonna win the red jersey by one point...undeserved in my opinion

fluffchucker replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Cant believe he is gonna win the red jersey by one point...undeserved in my opinion

Not very sportsmanlike  14
& would you say it to his face

TERatcliffe26 replied to fluffchucker | 11 years ago
0 likes
fluffchucker wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Apologies angry burst....no i wouldn't say it to his face, like i say i was being angry

And when i say undeserved, i disagree with how the points are awarded as i believe the points jersey should be a sprints award like in the other tours. Or else what do the sprinters have to aim for?

drheaton replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
fluffchucker wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Apologies angry burst....no i wouldn't say it to his face, like i say i was being angry

And when i say undeserved, i disagree with how the points are awarded as i believe the points jersey should be a sprints award like in the other tours. Or else what do the sprinters have to aim for?

I disagree, the points jersey should be for consistent finishing across all stages flat and mountain alike. Given there's usually more flat stages than high mountain there's a good chance sprinters will still win, especially now the Giro has become more sprinter friendly. Cav had his chance to tie the jersey up even after all the crashes and twisty finishes and he didn't do it, I found it more exciting that jersey was still competitive even after the sprint stages had passed.

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Whatever happens, you have to say Chapeau to Van der Velde. Good man.

frankiejay | 11 years ago
0 likes

According him, on cyclingnews, he was DQ'ed

0 likes
drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I thought Guardini just quit? Didn't think he was one of the ones booted out.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I thought Guardini just quit? Didn't think he was one of the ones booted out.

0 likes

No 10 points for Guardini today. He was disqualified for hanging on to a car along with Robbie Hunter and a couple others...

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Here is my team for today. Looking alright with all my stars and Pozz still at the front. Off to a gig now, so not going to see the final 35km  20

Joaquin Rodriguez (KAT)
Ryder Hesjedal (GRM)
Thomas de Gendt (VCD)
Sergio Luis Henao (SKY)
Stefano Pirazzi (COG)
Sandy Casar (FDJ)
Domenico Pozzovivo (COG)
Diego Ulissi (LAM)
Alexander Kristoff (KAT)

0 likes

I'm a fairly new cycling fan and I've never watched the Giro before.

So let me just state the obvious: The Mortirolo is just insane-looking.

chrisdstripes replied to frankiejay | 11 years ago
0 likes
frankiejay wrote:

I'm a fairly new cycling fan and I've never watched the Giro before.

So let me just state the obvious: The Mortirolo is just insane-looking.

Me too, first time watching the Spring Classics, and now the Giro. Apparently last year was far worse as well! One thing - isn't the fantasy game a great way to learn about it? I've had great fun so far this season.

petiagos | 11 years ago
0 likes

There was a problem with the time tranfers window..

Before the crash of the window time transfers i was making the money account to see if i was money to Zaugg or just to Andrey Amador ...and then the windows time crashed and i was not enable to see my account and make my transfers.
So i ask dave to make my transfers...then i realized that i might have not enough money to zaugg ... just to amador ...

So i ask again to swap zaugg to Amador ...

That's the history ...

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

How do you mistake Oliver Zaugg for Andrey Amador?

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

amador has KOM points though...........;-)and moved in 3rd In KOM Class ! plus u asked for rabotini........

petiagos replied to livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

iT´s Rabottini ... not Rabotini ...  16  16  16

The issue is not Rabottini ... is Zaugg...

livestrongnick wrote:

amador has KOM points though...........;-)and moved in 3rd In KOM Class ! plus u asked for rabotini........

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Haha, nice switch when you find out who's in the break  19

petiagos replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oliver Zaugg is also in the break ...
It was a mistake when i was doing my transfers for today...and Dave knows that ...

So .. what´s your problem with this ?

Gkam84 wrote:

Haha, nice switch when you find out who's in the break  19

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

Pages

Latest Comments