Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sora vs Tiagra

Hi guys just a bit of advice needed! Am looking to purchase my first road bike and wondered if it would be worth spending the money on a bike with the Tiagra set up? Was initially gonna but a specialized allez but had a sit on a focus variado the other day and loved it! Is it worth spending another £200 or stick with the specialized allez with the sora set up!
Cheers
Doaky

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

I bought a Tiagra-equipped bike over 4 years ago. I discounted Sora after reading too many disparaging comments about the shifting button. The 105 version of the same bike was over £200 more and, having tried 105 and Tiagra, there wasn't anything in it (and I didn't need the extra gear).

Having since bought a bike with 105 groupset I'd say the shifting is crisper but not necessarily better. I've been out for a 2 hour ride on the 'old' bike (I'd guess it has clocked about 10,000 miles by now) and the smooth, silky shifting was as effective as it was when the bike was new.

One option is to buy the Sora bike. If you find the shifters piss you off then get hold of a pair of Tiagra 9 speed (4500 series) shifters. There are some still around though technically it has been superseded by the incompatible 10 speed version.

However, it's far more important that you buy a bike that fulfils these two criteria:
1) it fits you properly
2) you really like it
so I think you already know which one you should buy  3

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

i've got sora on my current bike. I bought it 2 years ago, like you, not knowing whether I would get into road cycling.

Although the cost of shimano 105 may seem a lot to you, it is *definitely* worth spending the money on it. I wouldn't bother with either tiagra or sora. They're quite clunky.

Worst case scenario is you can put the whole bike on ebay if you're really not into it. But 99.9% of people will get bitten by the bug and you'll be looking to upgrade later!

joemmo | 11 years ago
0 likes

...unless you buy last years models which will have 9 speed tiagra.

Super Domestique replied to joemmo | 11 years ago
0 likes
joemmo wrote:

...unless you buy last years models which will have 9 speed tiagra.

Good point.

I guess a lot depends on the OP's budget too.

Mr Will | 11 years ago
0 likes

DO NOT go for Sora.

Tiagra is 10 speed now, which means as well as the better style of shifters, you are buying compatibility with all the higher rungs of the Shimano range and can upgrade piece by piece over time.

Buy Sora and you'll be stuck with it unless you upgrade the entire groupset at once (£££).

Doaky | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys i really appreciate your help! Think i'll go specialized then the option to upgrade us always there!

Super Domestique replied to Doaky | 11 years ago
0 likes
Doaky wrote:

Thanks guys i really appreciate your help! Think i'll go specialized then the option to upgrade us always there!

You won't hear me complaining about your brand choice there.

Check the stock for last years models as you can get the next level of equipment up for the same money.

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

The sti shifter position can be a pain on the sora / 2300 set up.

Although, if like me, when you get your first road bike its less of an issue ad you are generally on the hoods. As you progress and improve then you use the drops more and more so unless you have amazingly long thumbs the upshift means moving your hand (not ideal when going downhill fast ).

I would always say get the best frame you can for your money. However if you want to spend once and have a bike for a while without spending on new bike or upgrades then I would save a bit longer and opt for the tiagra shifters.

Don't forget to have a test ride if possible too.

Hope it works out for you.

thereandbackagain | 11 years ago
0 likes

Personally I really dislike the way the STI shifters work on Sora. I'd say go Tiagra. There's more of a jump in quality between Sora - Tiagra than Tiagra - 105.

I've stuck thousands of miles onto a Tiagra equipped bike, and it's been very reliable.

Doaky | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers guys i appreciate that!!!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

But its his first road bike. Stick to the sora and save yourself some cash, you never know, you might not like being a roadie.

If you do and have an Allez, you can save some cash and jump straight past Tiagra and go for 105 or above  3

mavthepav7 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

In my opinion I would spend the extra on the tiagra, I had the same dilemma and went fit the sora, which I am already looking at changing after 6 months! If I could go back I would have gone for tiagra from the off.

Mark

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

To be totally honest, there isn't a big leap from Sora to Tiagra, apart from the one noticeable difference being the STi shifters.

Get a frame thats comfortable for you, components can be changed as and when needed, the frame is the most important thing

Team Rux replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

That is really sound advice. Get the bike right first and you can always upgrade components if you want to move up a level. though from experience if you get the road cycling bug you'll want to upgrade the WHOLE bike!

Would encourage you to go to a decent bike shop that offers a fitting service and talk to someone who is going to advise on the best bike for you based on factors like the type of riding you do or intend to do (sportive/racing/commute), any long term injuries or health issues (back trouble for example), budget, age, weight. all these, and perhaps more, should be considered and impact on the bike that is right for you

Latest Comments