Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Horrible pain in the balls (of my feet)

Hey,

I had a dreadful experience on my 60 mile ride today. About half way through, I started to feel a weird pain in my feet, in the pedal axle area, on the outside. It started pretty mildly, but it soon became debilitating. It felt like the outside area of the balls of my feet ( and the small toes ) was being compressed against a sharp rock or something similar.

After about 10 miles I couldn't pedal any more. I stopped and shifted the insoles around a bit, moving them away from the bike a little. For a while, it seemed like I solved the problem, but then it started again, like someone was literally stabbing my soles. I stopped again, took the insoles out completely (which I wouldn't normally do since the shoes are a bit large anyway) and managed to ride home, but I was close (<10 miles) by then, so I couldn't tell if the pain was starting again.

I looking for advice because these are the same shoes ( Shimano RO77) , pedals (SPD-SL) and cleats I've been always using (10 x 60 mile rides at least), and this never happened. The only new thing is a saddle I'm trying, but I set it up at the same distance to the bars as my old one.

Any ideas? I really need to get to the bottom of this.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes
Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've had foot pain in a similar area but only generally on the turbo and in my left foot. Like Raleigh I found that moving my toes regularly and ensuring that my foot is flat on the insole (I noticed a tendency to scrunch my left foot in towards the pedal for some reason) stopped it. I'd second the advice for bike fit/GP if it continues though.

big mick | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have a problem with the balls of my feet but mine go numb and feel hot after about 60 miles more so on hot days.I have been advised to wear shoes with a stiff sole to stop local pressure build up.So far it seems to be working!I use the same pedals as you also.The shoes i am using are carbon soled Sidi's.Not cheap but hell they are so good.If you do buy, get a half size larger than your normal size.It's an Italian thing!

Super Domestique replied to big mick | 11 years ago
0 likes
big mick wrote:

I have a problem with the balls of my feet but mine go numb and feel hot after about 60 miles more so on hot days.I have been advised to wear shoes with a stiff sole to stop local pressure build up.So far it seems to be working!I use the same pedals as you also.The shoes i am using are carbon soled Sidi's.Not cheap but hell they are so good.If you do buy, get a half size larger than your normal size.It's an Italian thing!

That sounds like the classic 'hot spot' to me. Although the op's sounded different if I read it right.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Is the saddle itself taller than your old one? Ie the distance between the top and the rails.

I'd see someone about a bike fit with particular focus on shoes/cleats. I had to see a sports therapist to obtain this. If you're in the NW of England and want details let me know.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Maybe try clicking all your toes, just to relieve any sinovial stress that may have built up.

I went to the physio after I had this for running, and it seemed to work. Instead of clicking them towards your feet, pull them away, Chiropractic style.

May also be metatarsals though...

However, don't be tempted to take advice from faceless people on the internet, go to a cycling shop or GP.

Whichever you trust more.

Latest Comments