Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice for a niche in a niche

I've started a new build, a fixed Raleigh Courier rebuild in fact.

The forks are proper old, and upon contemplation, Ive decided to go for a disc brake up front.

So on the shopping list are:
700c Disc brake specific forks
Disc brake specific wheels, or hubs to put onto Open Pros
Disc brake calliper and rotor
Cable (mechanical)
Lever

I have literally no idea where to start, havibg never even ridden on disc brakes, but having been on the Internet all day (Study Leave :D) I've built up a brand base. So far, I've come accross:

On One
Hope
Surly
Bankrupt
Avid
Shimano

So does anyone have any advice, tips or stuff to sell?

I'd really like to keep the spending between around £80 and £120, as I want to get this bike together for under the cost of the current Courier equivalent, the Raleigh Flyer, currently on the R website for 250.

Also, how do you get sticky cotters out?I've tried pretty much everything, to no avail.

Cheers

Oh and last but not least, is there a way to remove a threaded headset without expensive tools?

Don't worry, Ive already played the bearings all over the floor game.  22

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

mathewshotbolt | 11 years ago
0 likes

a couple of things that strike me right away are that you are really unlikely to find a disc specific fork with a 1" threaded steerer tube. it'll all be 1 1/8" and unthreaded.

The second thing would be to put you off the idea of brazing a disc mount onto your current fork. These were never designed to take the sort of stresses a disc brake would put on the dropouts and would probabably end in tears.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Mainly because I think it'd look sweet.

Also, because Ill be riding it with racks front and rear, Id like the security of 'beefy' brakes, rather than rim brakes.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

is there a reason you want a disc? because a bottom-of-the-line mechanical disc calliper isn't an improvement on a decent set of dual pivot brakes. the BB5 is the absolute minimum i'd pay my own money for, and the BB7 is the one you really want; that's half your budget gone though  1

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think maybe closer to the £120 end of the budget.

Pompetamine fork with disc attatchment is £49.99.

There's a calliper and rotor on CRC or less than 20 quid, made by clarkes I think, and levers aren't that expensive.

Add the Raleigh wheel and that cones nicely to £100.

That's without factoring in oter things, like pads, I don't even know which ones to get, and Ill need a new headset as well.  1

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

So your going for just the one disc?

Disc brake specific 700 wheels seem few and far between. Shimano did one a few years back, I think it was a T565, But i can't see them for sale anywhere.

Something like this for a budget though http://www.mailorderbikes.com/m14b591s423p3197/RALEIGH_700c_Front_Wheel_...

On that budget your going to struggle to get the wheel, disc, calliper and lever without even getting a specific fork.

What about someone local who could braze on a disc brake mount to your existing forks?

Like this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QIN_7pXAfJI/TEp-HCSss5I/AAAAAAAAAQM/4rJfFQLR4Z...

Latest Comments