Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

SRAM wifli rear mechs - big difference?

I've got a fairly standard set-up, 53/39 and 12-25, have some long rides with a lot of climbing in them. Anyone using a SRAM wifli rear mech? Has it made a lot of difference on the climbs?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm always a fan of matching the gearbox to the engine and the terrain. For beginners, riders who also like beer and pies (hello!) and for proper hills (15%-plus) why not use an appropriate gear? I love my 34/32 on the CX.  1

chiv30 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just to Chuck a spanner in the works...... Mtb rear mech and a 34 or 36 rear should get you up anything without top end losses  4

awalker | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just had the Sram Force climbers kit fitted, with 32 on the back and it's great - very happy with it

Spud | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers all, I'm down to do the White Rose and then two weeks later the C2C in a day, having done 100 miles on the current set-up I think I could do with a couple of easier gears for climbing on long rides, especially on the C2C. I'm sure going to cassette with a 28T will give me enough at the lower end.

danlindfield | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've just swapped 8 year old Dura Ace for new Sram Apex (34/50 and 11-32) - the quality of the shift is comparable and the extra range is hilarious. I barely use past the 28 on the back but its nice to know you have it if planning a long hilly ride. I'm doing the Etape in July and i'm sure i'll need it after 197km in the Pyrenees with 16% ramps on exhausted legs.

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

34-32? you could climd a wall with that

diego replied to russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes
russyparkin wrote:

34-32? you could climd a wall with that

and yet, I still had to stop and have a breather three times on a nasty alpine climb (I refused to walk, though)
I was pretty close to 100kg, though..

therevokid | 11 years ago
0 likes

PG-1070 12-28: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-22-25-28 on a Force
and
Tiagra 12-30: 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-27-30 on Apex ...

ones carbon the other's alloy ... now I go up anything
(well almost anything :D). The Apex is WiFli and if I
really needed it can go to 32T

Cooks | 11 years ago
0 likes

It will handle a 28 no bother. I have 2 sram mechs, the short cage does easily cope with a 28. A 32 is enormous, it will get you up anything, but extremely slowly. I swapped from a 12 28 to a 12 32 recently (only because I had to make sure I beat some less-bike knowledgeable friends up a certain hill), if you get the right cassette you can have everything on a 12-28 except for ( ithink) the 15.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

i've used one, and yes: it makes a lot of difference. bear in mind that the newest shimano mechs can handle a 30T sprocket too, if you're not already running SRAM shifters. your current mech will probably handle a 27/28T sprocket with no other changes

Latest Comments