Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro stage 15

After todays heroics by the breakaway to saty out all day what about stage 15 ?

Will Hesjedal have the legs to go again or will J-Rod et al drop him.

Only time will tell.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

67 comments

Alan Tullett replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:
Alan Tullett wrote:

Rujano has been a disaster for me. I meant to change him for Purito and swap Golas for a cheap rider but went with two breakaway riders instead. One was in the break but couldn't stay out, the other was 3rd from last. So close but not quite. Should have played safe. I would have made up a bit of ground. Have to bring in Purito now (who I like - don't know why I ever left him out) but won't change the other stars and maybe change one DS. Keep 2 transfers spare for later.

Yeah Rujano has to go, Sella too, but I don't know who to bring in to help me move up. I think at this point I run the risk of having exactly the same team as those above me and not going anywhere.

Basso will be popular this window, Henao too, anyone whoever didn't have Rodriguez will get him if they can so I'm just faffing around the edges really, the core of my team (Rodriguez, Henao, Hesjedal, Tiralongo, Pozzovivo, Golas) is probably the same as most other teams and won't change now until the TT. I either take huge risks or just hope I get lucky with a breakaway or on the remaining sprint and TT stages.

Once you start chasing breaks you know you're finished! If they come by chance while you play sensibly that's great, like Rubiano and Golas did for me. It was stage 5, I think, that lost it for me when I had Farrar and Hushovd and some other sprinters who all went out the back. Lost about 80-100 points on that one stage.

By the end of a Tour everyone's team is pretty similar but you still have a small chance. I, however, have none and even if I had played a bit safer I'd still be too far behind.

At least I still have my top place in East Anglia and amazingly I'm still top 20 on GC and above TERatcliffe26.  3  3

Could go for a stage win. Maybe the TT  39  39

Been a good couple of days racing though and I've enjoyed watching it. Fun having Carrara in the break as well even if he scored only 2 points.

Gkam84 replied to darren13366 | 11 years ago
0 likes
darren13366 wrote:

Thanks Gkam. I thought I'd read that Goss and Renshaw didn't start on Saturday. I shall be patient...

Sorry you are correct, Those two didn't start stage 14

seanieh66 | 11 years ago
0 likes

God I'd forgotten how dull Basso can be to watch, yet somehow he's contrived to climb the GC ladder whilst actually losing yet more time. Obviously others have lost still more. He stays as he might just bore his rivals to death.  37

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

He's unspectacular but effective, he knows that Rodriguez is great on small steep climbs so he limits his losses and will make time up on the others when we get to the really hard stages and the TT.

From a fantasy point of view though he's a pain in the arse as he won't get loads of points but will be consistently up there.

Edit: Also, how do you think Wiggins and Evans win races? They grind out the results, stay close to the proper climbers on the hills and blow them away in the TT, yes they're a better version of Basso but it's the same idea.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

drheaton, spot on, Basso merely follows which makes him a v good allrounder whereas the likes of Wiggo, Evans and Bertie have that extra bit in their armoury and can put the hammer down and drill it or destroy a field on the tt.

Basso is still a brilliant rider he just gets things done differently.

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

Grand Tour's tend to have the toughest stages towards the end and Basso tends to linger lower down the GC Order until he reaches these and so picks up less GC top 10 pts per stage than perhaps a Cuddles or Wiggo who can take advantage of an early TT.

drheaton replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

drheaton, spot on, Basso merely follows which makes him a v good allrounder whereas the likes of Wiggo, Evans and Bertie have that extra bit in their armoury and can put the hammer down and drill it or destroy a field on the tt.

Basso is still a brilliant rider he just gets things done differently.

Exactly, although if any of the really top draw GC contenders were at this year's Giro I doubt Basso could win it. The fact that Basso is still favourite is probably a reflection of the quality of the field more than anything else. It's a shame that the Giro is run so close to the start of the TdF because it really thins out the people hoping to compete for the win. If they ran the Giro even a week or two earlier in the season (or pushed the tour back a bit) you may get people racing both of them to win rather than using the Giro as a warm-up for the tour.

ray silvester wrote:

Grand Tour's tend to have the toughest stages towards the end and Basso tends to linger lower down the GC Order until he reaches these and so picks up less GC top 10 pts per stage than perhaps a Cuddles or Wiggo who can take advantage of an early TT.

Agreed, and with this year's Giro being more TdF like in having more sprint stages clustered at the start of the race it means Basso won't be a high scorer until the back end of the race, although I don't really expect him to win any stages, just be close enough to the winners so that he can take it in the TT. From a fantasy point of view he's consistently mediocre whereas Rodriguez and Hesjedal have provided more points earlier in the race but I suspect they'll fall away a bit in the next few stages (maybe not J-Rod but definitely Hesjedal).

Pages

Latest Comments