Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro stage 15

After todays heroics by the breakaway to saty out all day what about stage 15 ?

Will Hesjedal have the legs to go again or will J-Rod et al drop him.

Only time will tell.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

67 comments

Alan Tullett replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Rodriguez
Hesjedal
Henao
Rujano

Tiralongo
Pozzovivo
Sella (almost went Pirazzi, it was 50/50)
Slagter (nearly went Clement, again, 50/50 decision)
Golas

Fingers crossed my transfers pay off but I may regret dropping Rubiano if he decides to go after the 4 category climbs today.

Also nearly went for Pietropolli now he's out of it GC-wise.

Well I put in Carrara and Pagani in for Caruso and Rubiano. Still got Scarponi, Basso, Rujano and Henao. Wasn't hopeful at the start but just turned on the TV and Carrara is in the chasing group so we'll have to see.

I see you've got Sella there but it may all come to nothing.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

2k to go, peloton closing in really fast, this is going to be close for Rabottini.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I knew this would be a great stage, Rodriguez has attacked and may well take the stage! Glad to see someone really going for it.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh! What a win for Rabottini, sneaks around Rodriguez on the last corner to take it, not that J-Rod put up much of a fight.

Great ride from Uran to stay with the main group for so long, looks like I close badly by taking Rujano over Gadret, who was up in the top group.

Rvizzle | 11 years ago
0 likes

What a finish! Great ride from Rabottini. Can't help but think J-Rod gifted him the win, but thoroughly deserved, nonetheless.

Thrilling stuff!

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Rabottini
Rodriguez
Losada
Henao
Scarponi
Basso
Pirazzi
Kreuziger
Gadret
Txukkuka
Nieve
Hesjedal (39")

That's your top twelve

Rodriguez
Hesjedal
Basso
top three in GC

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Anyone who got Henao (like me) is in for big points.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

GC:

1. Rodriguez
2. Hesjedal (30")
3. Basso
4. Tiralongo
5. Kreuziger
6. Scarponi
7. Intxausti
8. Henao
9. Cataldo
10. Casar
11. Uran
12. De Gendt
13. Pozzovivo

Pozzovivo's a big loser today, Henao takes the white jersey too. Uran lost 1'47 in the end to fall well down. Surprised to see Casar still up there but I might take a punt on De Gendt for next week now  1

Raleigh wrote:

Anyone who got Henao (like me) is in for big points.

Agreed, I've got Henao and I expect him to be very popular for Tuesday, especially with 4 transfers on offer. Basso and Scarponi looked strong, if only I could get both of them and Rodriguez into my team without dropping Hesjedal  2

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was watching the end on the Giro website so didn't get any commentary, anyone know how far back the Gruppeto is and whether Cav is likely to be inside the time limit?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

1. Rabottini
2. Rodriguez
3. Losada
4. Henao
5. Scarponi
6. Basso
7. Pirazzi
8. Kreuziger
9. Gadret
10. Txurruka
11. Nieve
12. Hesjedal
13. Cataldo
14. Intxausti
15. Tschopp
16. Tiralongo
17. De Gendt
18. Moreno
19. Cunego
20. Brambilla
21. Casar
22. Uran
23. Niemic
24. Pozzovivo
25. Szmyd

Rujano came in 4 minutes down in 32nd, he's definitely getting the boot tomorrow.

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cav bus home 34:48 down, 60 odd riders.
Guardini last man again  16

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

I really thought about bringing Guardini in this morning, but decided it was too much of a risk. Is 15 points his highest score so far?

Alan Tullett replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Oh! What a win for Rabottini, sneaks around Rodriguez on the last corner to take it, not that J-Rod put up much of a fight.

Great ride from Uran to stay with the main group for so long, looks like I close badly by taking Rujano over Gadret, who was up in the top group.

Rujano has been a disaster for me. I meant to change him for Purito and swap Golas for a cheap rider but went with two breakaway riders instead. One was in the break but couldn't stay out, the other was 3rd from last. So close but not quite. Should have played safe. I would have made up a bit of ground. Have to bring in Purito now (who I like - don't know why I ever left him out) but won't change the other stars and maybe change one DS. Keep 2 transfers spare for later.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I asked a club rider why he thought that the Poz had lost so much time yesterday, and his classic response was:

"Probably took the wrong pills."

Just thought I'd share.

Also, tomorrow I'll finally be able to get rid of Serge Powels.  1

Windij Van Blowij | 11 years ago
0 likes

Please can someone explain why Guardini got 15 points and Cav got 9? Not this scoring lark clearly.....

adholman replied to Windij Van Blowij | 11 years ago
0 likes

Guardini got 10 for being the last man home (again!) and 5 for being in the same team as the stage winner. Guardini let me down badly in the sprints but is grabbing loads of points for me in the mountains for being last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drheaton replied to Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes
Alan Tullett wrote:

Rujano has been a disaster for me. I meant to change him for Purito and swap Golas for a cheap rider but went with two breakaway riders instead. One was in the break but couldn't stay out, the other was 3rd from last. So close but not quite. Should have played safe. I would have made up a bit of ground. Have to bring in Purito now (who I like - don't know why I ever left him out) but won't change the other stars and maybe change one DS. Keep 2 transfers spare for later.

Yeah Rujano has to go, Sella too, but I don't know who to bring in to help me move up. I think at this point I run the risk of having exactly the same team as those above me and not going anywhere.

Basso will be popular this window, Henao too, anyone whoever didn't have Rodriguez will get him if they can so I'm just faffing around the edges really, the core of my team (Rodriguez, Henao, Hesjedal, Tiralongo, Pozzovivo, Golas) is probably the same as most other teams and won't change now until the TT. I either take huge risks or just hope I get lucky with a breakaway or on the remaining sprint and TT stages.

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cav got 5 for being in red and 4 for the intermediate sprint

Simon_MacMichael replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

I asked a club rider why he thought that the Poz had lost so much time yesterday, and his classic response was:

"Probably took the wrong pills."

Harsh  1

Italian TV were saying repeatedly yesterday and today that he absolutely detests the rain, pre-race interview today he clearly didn't fancy the descents. Basso not a big fan of the wet stuff either, apparently.

darren13366 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Still a number of riders in the list who have abandoned. Goss, Renshaw, Schleck etc. can this be cleaned up over the rest day?

Gkam84 replied to darren13366 | 11 years ago
0 likes
darren13366 wrote:

Still a number of riders in the list who have abandoned. Goss, Renshaw, Schleck etc. can this be cleaned up over the rest day?

They only abandoned this morning, some while the stage was under way, So will be removed before the next deadline as always  3

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nice and convenient that Schleck pulled out on the morning of the stage where he was bound to lose a good chunk of time, descending really is a massive weakness for him. No wonder he prefers the TdF in the summer where there's less chance of rain.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Descending in the rain is a problem, dry he can just about handle, He's TT skills are a mess and the only reason he is a "big name" is because he shares that surname with his brother, otherwise he'd be classed as a high end DS  3

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nah, he's probably in the same league as Rujano/Gadret, someone who can win a stage and maybe get top 5 if they're lucky. He just doesn't have the allround skills to win a grand tour.

badbadleroybrown replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Neither of them is ever going to win anything... They can't TT, they have questionable phsychological strength, and then they simply act like babies... afraid to set off alone and do it on their own. Frank can't ride the Giro cause he misses Andy and wants to be training with him instead... Andy can't level a full out attack at the Tour cause he doesn't want to leave Frank behind... Abundance of natural skills and a huge absence of everything else that it takes to be a champion for both brothers.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I never understood why riders like the Schleck's are so poor at TTing, some of the best climbers (Contador, & Armstrong drugs not withstanding) have been excellent TTers so its surely not a physical thing? And its not like the top all rounders like Evans and Wiggins are THAT much bigger or more powerful than the Schlecks (ok, Evans is bigger but Wiggins doesn't look much bigger nowadays) and surely the effort needed to climb the Tormalet at pace is comparable with that needed to sustain a good TT pace for 40kmk? Is it just a mental thing?

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

It must be a Euro Thing.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Having now seen the result again not gambling on gadret cost me points. another very average day!

Now for tuesday do i go Gadret or Basso? Ive pretty much decided the two other changes im gonna make.

Doesnt look like Cav is gonna be able to win the red jersey. He must win stage 18 (i think its that stage) to stand a chance and try and take out as many of the sprints as possible, maybe go in some breaks?

Tuesday is a pretty flat stage, however the finish is it too steep/long for Cav as it does flatten off?

petiagos | 11 years ago
0 likes

Rujano ... thank for the zero points that you gave me in the last 2 stages...  14  14  14

What a waste  31  31

darren13366 replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
darren13366 wrote:

They only abandoned this morning, some while the stage was under way, So will be removed before the next deadline as always  3

Thanks Gkam. I thought I'd read that Goss and Renshaw didn't start on Saturday. I shall be patient...

Pages

Latest Comments