Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro stage 15

After todays heroics by the breakaway to saty out all day what about stage 15 ?

Will Hesjedal have the legs to go again or will J-Rod et al drop him.

Only time will tell.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

67 comments

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh! What a win for Rabottini, sneaks around Rodriguez on the last corner to take it, not that J-Rod put up much of a fight.

Great ride from Uran to stay with the main group for so long, looks like I close badly by taking Rujano over Gadret, who was up in the top group.

Alan Tullett replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Oh! What a win for Rabottini, sneaks around Rodriguez on the last corner to take it, not that J-Rod put up much of a fight.

Great ride from Uran to stay with the main group for so long, looks like I close badly by taking Rujano over Gadret, who was up in the top group.

Rujano has been a disaster for me. I meant to change him for Purito and swap Golas for a cheap rider but went with two breakaway riders instead. One was in the break but couldn't stay out, the other was 3rd from last. So close but not quite. Should have played safe. I would have made up a bit of ground. Have to bring in Purito now (who I like - don't know why I ever left him out) but won't change the other stars and maybe change one DS. Keep 2 transfers spare for later.

drheaton replied to Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes
Alan Tullett wrote:

Rujano has been a disaster for me. I meant to change him for Purito and swap Golas for a cheap rider but went with two breakaway riders instead. One was in the break but couldn't stay out, the other was 3rd from last. So close but not quite. Should have played safe. I would have made up a bit of ground. Have to bring in Purito now (who I like - don't know why I ever left him out) but won't change the other stars and maybe change one DS. Keep 2 transfers spare for later.

Yeah Rujano has to go, Sella too, but I don't know who to bring in to help me move up. I think at this point I run the risk of having exactly the same team as those above me and not going anywhere.

Basso will be popular this window, Henao too, anyone whoever didn't have Rodriguez will get him if they can so I'm just faffing around the edges really, the core of my team (Rodriguez, Henao, Hesjedal, Tiralongo, Pozzovivo, Golas) is probably the same as most other teams and won't change now until the TT. I either take huge risks or just hope I get lucky with a breakaway or on the remaining sprint and TT stages.

0 likes
drheaton wrote:
Alan Tullett wrote:

Yeah Rujano has to go, Sella too, but I don't know who to bring in to help me move up. I think at this point I run the risk of having exactly the same team as those above me and not going anywhere.

Basso will be popular this window, Henao too, anyone whoever didn't have Rodriguez will get him if they can so I'm just faffing around the edges really, the core of my team (Rodriguez, Henao, Hesjedal, Tiralongo, Pozzovivo, Golas) is probably the same as most other teams and won't change now until the TT. I either take huge risks or just hope I get lucky with a breakaway or on the remaining sprint and TT stages.

Once you start chasing breaks you know you're finished! If they come by chance while you play sensibly that's great, like Rubiano and Golas did for me. It was stage 5, I think, that lost it for me when I had Farrar and Hushovd and some other sprinters who all went out the back. Lost about 80-100 points on that one stage.

By the end of a Tour everyone's team is pretty similar but you still have a small chance. I, however, have none and even if I had played a bit safer I'd still be too far behind.

At least I still have my top place in East Anglia and amazingly I'm still top 20 on GC and above TERatcliffe26.  3  3

Could go for a stage win. Maybe the TT  39  39

Been a good couple of days racing though and I've enjoyed watching it. Fun having Carrara in the break as well even if he scored only 2 points.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I knew this would be a great stage, Rodriguez has attacked and may well take the stage! Glad to see someone really going for it.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

2k to go, peloton closing in really fast, this is going to be close for Rabottini.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Gone today with this team;

Sergio Luis Henao (SKY)
Joaquin Rodriguez (KAT)
Ivan Basso (LIQ)
Rigoberto Uran (SKY)
Arnaud Demare (FDJ)
Paolo Tiralongo (AST)
Damiano Caruso (LIQ)
Domenico Pozzovivo (COG)
Jack Bauer (GRM)

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Was tempted by Cunego but I thought he'd blown his chance yesterday  2

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well im going to be avoiding the forum until ive watched the hightlights later on eurosport as im off out now

Hope at least the chasers don't stay away. Had ullisi for the first 10 or so stages and now he tries something

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cunego. He's won Lombardia three times, this stage is absolutely made for him.

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

3 Lampre's in the chasing group....Cunego(virtual leader),Malori and Ulissi.

Dangerous move?

Or are they setting it up for Scarponi?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Intermediate sprint:

Bonnafond
Rabottni
Cavendish
Golas
Rosseler
Eisel

Also...

Quote:

Emanuele Sella of Androni attacks out of the field on the climb.

Hurray!

frankiejay | 11 years ago
0 likes

de Gendt
J-Rod
Hesjedal
Basso
Guardini
Tiralongo
Rubiano
Pozzovivo
Caruso

Feel pretty good. Glad to have four transfers for the next stage...

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Jez Hunt's becoming a Dad according to Twit.  41  41

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Joaquin Rodriguez (KAT)
Jose Humberto Rujano (AND)
Roman Kreuziger (AST)
Benat Intxausti (MOV)
Domenico Pozzovivo (COG)
Miguel Angel Rubiano (AND)
Paolo Tiralongo (AST)
Damiano Caruso (LIQ)
Jon Izagirre (EUS)

Same team as yesterday to keep 6 transfers for after rest day tomorrow  3

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

A lot of buzz around Rujano pre-giro(and during).  39

Not sure if he's justifying it(although I'll probably regret saying that come Journey's End).

silas chime | 11 years ago
0 likes

Shrek's abandoned and Hunt did not start

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Two riders have tried their luck and broken clear: Guillaume Bonnafond of AG2R and Matteo Rabottini (Farnese Vini). They have 1:45 on the peloton.

Dammit, considered Rabottini for today too  2

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Rodriguez
Hesjedal
Henao
Rujano

Tiralongo
Pozzovivo
Sella (almost went Pirazzi, it was 50/50)
Slagter (nearly went Clement, again, 50/50 decision)
Golas

Fingers crossed my transfers pay off but I may regret dropping Rubiano if he decides to go after the 4 category climbs today.

Also nearly went for Pietropolli now he's out of it GC-wise.

0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Rodriguez
Hesjedal
Henao
Rujano

Tiralongo
Pozzovivo
Sella (almost went Pirazzi, it was 50/50)
Slagter (nearly went Clement, again, 50/50 decision)
Golas

Fingers crossed my transfers pay off but I may regret dropping Rubiano if he decides to go after the 4 category climbs today.

Also nearly went for Pietropolli now he's out of it GC-wise.

Well I put in Carrara and Pagani in for Caruso and Rubiano. Still got Scarponi, Basso, Rujano and Henao. Wasn't hopeful at the start but just turned on the TV and Carrara is in the chasing group so we'll have to see.

I see you've got Sella there but it may all come to nothing.

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm also sticking with Kreuziger for now - plenty of transfers after today. Have 4 potential guys for a break, so hopefully one of them will come good...
Kreuziger
Hesjedal
Basso
Henao
Pozzovivo
Samoilau
Pirazzi
Benedetti
Felline

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm giving Kreuziger one more stage to see if he can perform.

Kreuziger
Hesjedal
Henao
Rodriguez

Pozzovivo
Benedetti
Rubiano
Golas
Tiralongo

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just in time 7mins left!
Ivan Basso (LIQ)
Enrico Gasparotto (AST)
Rigoberto Uran (SKY)
Jan Bakelants (RSN)
Pier Paolo De Negri (FAR)
Domenico Pozzovivo (COG)
Lars Bak (LOT)
Jack Bobridge (GRE)
Alex Rasmussen (GRM)

Wonder how it will paan out

silas chime | 11 years ago
0 likes

Out:Santamorito & Intxausti
In:Basso & Barta

J-Rod
Henao
Basso
Hesjedal
Tiralongo
Golas
Barta
Casar
Rubiano

Fancy a break involving Golas or Rubiano today

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well my team know is

J-Rod
Hesjedal
Uran
Haeno

Tiralongo
Huzarski
Slagter
Caruso
Pozzovivo

My question is will there be a point at which J-Rod should be dropped from my team? to free up some credits  39

In an ideal world i would like to replace Haeno for Gadret, however will never be able to raise enough credits to do that without dropping J-rod, and the only one i would drop him for (scarponi) still wouldnt raise enough credits

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dropped Rubiano and Caruso who seems to be struggling after being Basso's workhorse. Picked up a Rabobanker and an Italian climber, decided I was happy with my stars and wanted to take a few risks with my DSs.

chrisdstripes replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Dropped Rubiano and Caruso who seems to be struggling after being Basso's workhorse. Picked up a Rabobanker and an Italian climber, decided I was happy with my stars and wanted to take a few risks with my DSs.

Me too, my 4 stars plus Pozzovivo are all up there in GC, so I'm taking risks with the other 4 DS positions just to see what happens really. Brought in 2 Italians today, one who is very local to the next couple of stages so fingers crossed he fancies having a go...

0 likes
drheaton wrote:

I'm not happy with my stars but who knows they may shine today. Dropped the same guys and taken a risk with an Italian from near this area, not bad at climbing and a young Italian from not far away - maybe wants to make a name for himself. Probably going to lose ground as they're unlikely to come off. The safe thing to do would be to bring Purito and Hesjedal back in but I can't be bothered to play safe now.

Got 3rd on the stage in TOC in any case so haven't entirely lost my touch on climbing stages!!

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

The climbs don't look quite as steep today, but the descents do...

I backed Hesjedal 2 weeks ago at 40-1, so its beginning to get interesting...

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

No, that is his game but at least he doesn't fall to pieces like Rujano.

Pages

Latest Comments