Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro stage 15

After todays heroics by the breakaway to saty out all day what about stage 15 ?

Will Hesjedal have the legs to go again or will J-Rod et al drop him.

Only time will tell.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

67 comments

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

1. Rabottini
2. Rodriguez
3. Losada
4. Henao
5. Scarponi
6. Basso
7. Pirazzi
8. Kreuziger
9. Gadret
10. Txurruka
11. Nieve
12. Hesjedal
13. Cataldo
14. Intxausti
15. Tschopp
16. Tiralongo
17. De Gendt
18. Moreno
19. Cunego
20. Brambilla
21. Casar
22. Uran
23. Niemic
24. Pozzovivo
25. Szmyd

Rujano came in 4 minutes down in 32nd, he's definitely getting the boot tomorrow.

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cav bus home 34:48 down, 60 odd riders.
Guardini last man again  16

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

I really thought about bringing Guardini in this morning, but decided it was too much of a risk. Is 15 points his highest score so far?

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I asked a club rider why he thought that the Poz had lost so much time yesterday, and his classic response was:

"Probably took the wrong pills."

Just thought I'd share.

Also, tomorrow I'll finally be able to get rid of Serge Powels.  1

Windij Van Blowij | 11 years ago
0 likes

Please can someone explain why Guardini got 15 points and Cav got 9? Not this scoring lark clearly.....

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cav got 5 for being in red and 4 for the intermediate sprint

darren13366 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Still a number of riders in the list who have abandoned. Goss, Renshaw, Schleck etc. can this be cleaned up over the rest day?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nice and convenient that Schleck pulled out on the morning of the stage where he was bound to lose a good chunk of time, descending really is a massive weakness for him. No wonder he prefers the TdF in the summer where there's less chance of rain.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Descending in the rain is a problem, dry he can just about handle, He's TT skills are a mess and the only reason he is a "big name" is because he shares that surname with his brother, otherwise he'd be classed as a high end DS  3

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nah, he's probably in the same league as Rujano/Gadret, someone who can win a stage and maybe get top 5 if they're lucky. He just doesn't have the allround skills to win a grand tour.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I never understood why riders like the Schleck's are so poor at TTing, some of the best climbers (Contador, & Armstrong drugs not withstanding) have been excellent TTers so its surely not a physical thing? And its not like the top all rounders like Evans and Wiggins are THAT much bigger or more powerful than the Schlecks (ok, Evans is bigger but Wiggins doesn't look much bigger nowadays) and surely the effort needed to climb the Tormalet at pace is comparable with that needed to sustain a good TT pace for 40kmk? Is it just a mental thing?

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

It must be a Euro Thing.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Having now seen the result again not gambling on gadret cost me points. another very average day!

Now for tuesday do i go Gadret or Basso? Ive pretty much decided the two other changes im gonna make.

Doesnt look like Cav is gonna be able to win the red jersey. He must win stage 18 (i think its that stage) to stand a chance and try and take out as many of the sprints as possible, maybe go in some breaks?

Tuesday is a pretty flat stage, however the finish is it too steep/long for Cav as it does flatten off?

petiagos | 11 years ago
0 likes

Rujano ... thank for the zero points that you gave me in the last 2 stages...  14  14  14

What a waste  31  31

seanieh66 | 11 years ago
0 likes

God I'd forgotten how dull Basso can be to watch, yet somehow he's contrived to climb the GC ladder whilst actually losing yet more time. Obviously others have lost still more. He stays as he might just bore his rivals to death.  37

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

He's unspectacular but effective, he knows that Rodriguez is great on small steep climbs so he limits his losses and will make time up on the others when we get to the really hard stages and the TT.

From a fantasy point of view though he's a pain in the arse as he won't get loads of points but will be consistently up there.

Edit: Also, how do you think Wiggins and Evans win races? They grind out the results, stay close to the proper climbers on the hills and blow them away in the TT, yes they're a better version of Basso but it's the same idea.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

drheaton, spot on, Basso merely follows which makes him a v good allrounder whereas the likes of Wiggo, Evans and Bertie have that extra bit in their armoury and can put the hammer down and drill it or destroy a field on the tt.

Basso is still a brilliant rider he just gets things done differently.

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

Grand Tour's tend to have the toughest stages towards the end and Basso tends to linger lower down the GC Order until he reaches these and so picks up less GC top 10 pts per stage than perhaps a Cuddles or Wiggo who can take advantage of an early TT.

adholman replied to Windij Van Blowij | 11 years ago
0 likes

Guardini got 10 for being the last man home (again!) and 5 for being in the same team as the stage winner. Guardini let me down badly in the sprints but is grabbing loads of points for me in the mountains for being last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simon_MacMichael replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

I asked a club rider why he thought that the Poz had lost so much time yesterday, and his classic response was:

"Probably took the wrong pills."

Harsh  1

Italian TV were saying repeatedly yesterday and today that he absolutely detests the rain, pre-race interview today he clearly didn't fancy the descents. Basso not a big fan of the wet stuff either, apparently.

Gkam84 replied to darren13366 | 11 years ago
0 likes
darren13366 wrote:

Still a number of riders in the list who have abandoned. Goss, Renshaw, Schleck etc. can this be cleaned up over the rest day?

They only abandoned this morning, some while the stage was under way, So will be removed before the next deadline as always  3

badbadleroybrown replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Neither of them is ever going to win anything... They can't TT, they have questionable phsychological strength, and then they simply act like babies... afraid to set off alone and do it on their own. Frank can't ride the Giro cause he misses Andy and wants to be training with him instead... Andy can't level a full out attack at the Tour cause he doesn't want to leave Frank behind... Abundance of natural skills and a huge absence of everything else that it takes to be a champion for both brothers.

drheaton replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

drheaton, spot on, Basso merely follows which makes him a v good allrounder whereas the likes of Wiggo, Evans and Bertie have that extra bit in their armoury and can put the hammer down and drill it or destroy a field on the tt.

Basso is still a brilliant rider he just gets things done differently.

Exactly, although if any of the really top draw GC contenders were at this year's Giro I doubt Basso could win it. The fact that Basso is still favourite is probably a reflection of the quality of the field more than anything else. It's a shame that the Giro is run so close to the start of the TdF because it really thins out the people hoping to compete for the win. If they ran the Giro even a week or two earlier in the season (or pushed the tour back a bit) you may get people racing both of them to win rather than using the Giro as a warm-up for the tour.

ray silvester wrote:

Grand Tour's tend to have the toughest stages towards the end and Basso tends to linger lower down the GC Order until he reaches these and so picks up less GC top 10 pts per stage than perhaps a Cuddles or Wiggo who can take advantage of an early TT.

Agreed, and with this year's Giro being more TdF like in having more sprint stages clustered at the start of the race it means Basso won't be a high scorer until the back end of the race, although I don't really expect him to win any stages, just be close enough to the winners so that he can take it in the TT. From a fantasy point of view he's consistently mediocre whereas Rodriguez and Hesjedal have provided more points earlier in the race but I suspect they'll fall away a bit in the next few stages (maybe not J-Rod but definitely Hesjedal).

darren13366 replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
darren13366 wrote:

They only abandoned this morning, some while the stage was under way, So will be removed before the next deadline as always  3

Thanks Gkam. I thought I'd read that Goss and Renshaw didn't start on Saturday. I shall be patient...

Gkam84 replied to darren13366 | 11 years ago
0 likes
darren13366 wrote:

Thanks Gkam. I thought I'd read that Goss and Renshaw didn't start on Saturday. I shall be patient...

Sorry you are correct, Those two didn't start stage 14

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was watching the end on the Giro website so didn't get any commentary, anyone know how far back the Gruppeto is and whether Cav is likely to be inside the time limit?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

GC:

1. Rodriguez
2. Hesjedal (30")
3. Basso
4. Tiralongo
5. Kreuziger
6. Scarponi
7. Intxausti
8. Henao
9. Cataldo
10. Casar
11. Uran
12. De Gendt
13. Pozzovivo

Pozzovivo's a big loser today, Henao takes the white jersey too. Uran lost 1'47 in the end to fall well down. Surprised to see Casar still up there but I might take a punt on De Gendt for next week now  1

Raleigh wrote:

Anyone who got Henao (like me) is in for big points.

Agreed, I've got Henao and I expect him to be very popular for Tuesday, especially with 4 transfers on offer. Basso and Scarponi looked strong, if only I could get both of them and Rodriguez into my team without dropping Hesjedal  2

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Anyone who got Henao (like me) is in for big points.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Rabottini
Rodriguez
Losada
Henao
Scarponi
Basso
Pirazzi
Kreuziger
Gadret
Txukkuka
Nieve
Hesjedal (39")

That's your top twelve

Rodriguez
Hesjedal
Basso
top three in GC

Rvizzle | 11 years ago
0 likes

What a finish! Great ride from Rabottini. Can't help but think J-Rod gifted him the win, but thoroughly deserved, nonetheless.

Thrilling stuff!

Pages

Latest Comments