Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Look who's been "spotted" training

I say "spotted" as that just looks like an advertising campaign  3

http://www.steephill.tv/2012/alberto-contador-tourmalet/photos/page-01/

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

i sympathise with the peleton, as you say its easy to hide so loads of riders are probably doing it and winning *cough* astana... the sad truth is the dopers have the edge so there is the clean moral stance or the minimum you can get away with stance. some will get caught, most wont. its a risk they take and i imagine the pressure by the teams on some riders is immense.

also imagine if they tested footballers as much as cyclists. there is probably more cocaine in john terry than the whole of columbia

atlaz | 11 years ago
0 likes

Alberto is quality. He has taken it well

You mean he dragged out a clear and inevitable ban out making a mockery of the Giro last year and dragging cycling through the mud yet again and despite knowing all this sleeps well? Yes, I'm surprised too.

TrimmDich replied to atlaz | 11 years ago
0 likes
atlaz wrote:

despite knowing all this sleeps well? Yes, I'm surprised too.

It's amazing the power of those Flex matresses.  4

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

i cannot wait for him to return! its going to be epic! all the shlecks do is moan moan moan.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Gkam, i agree its all about stopping the cheats full stop.

However, without knowing every single piece of detail about Bertie's case (thats me, not you  1 ) i think his ban was appropriate. The amount of stuff in him, in the words of Sean Kelly, would not have improved his performance one bit. But it was a banned substance so i agree with his ban before people try and shoot me down.

As for the Eurosport piece, rightly or wrongly, it got people watching it which is all they are after.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

He'll be back and on good form because he's not been racing and just getting ready.

But i think it was in bad taste Eurosport putting it to him about every favourite in the Giro and asking his opinion. He shouldn't even be getting air time.

Before you even start mancsi, I'm not a Contador fan, not a Schleck fan. If you look about, you'll see i'm not a fan of many guys, I just prefer pro cycling in general. I want to see good, CLEAN racing and while there are still some around who try and CHEAT, then its not on, Contador should have been banned for the FULL length of his ban and not back dated to any time.

drheaton replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I want to see good, CLEAN racing and while there are still some around who try and CHEAT, then its not on, Contador should have been banned for the FULL length of his ban and not back dated to any time.

Agreed, backdating bans is stupid, if you ban someone it should be a proper ban, what point is there in banning someone but them not actually serving that ban. Bauge was the same, removing titles and wins isn't the same as actually stopping someone who BROKE THE RULES from competing.

stumps wrote:

The amount of stuff in him, in the words of Sean Kelly, would not have improved his performance one bit. But it was a banned substance so i agree with his ban before people try and shoot me down.

The problem was that 'the amount of stuff in him' wasn't the only thing they found. Reports were that there were plasticisers in his blood indicating an illegal blood transfusion but that the test for those was not officially signed off and they couldn't use that in the case.

The ability to hide drugs is now so advanced that it's more likely the case that what they found was only the tip of the iceberg and that if you've got anything illegal in your blood (however convoluted the story is for it getting there, spanish steak my arse) you should be punished as if they'd found something like EPO because odds are that something like that is in there somewhere too.

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

I reckon he will be back in blistering form too. Good on him for being out training now. Nice bike too  3

mancsi | 11 years ago
0 likes

Alberto is quality. He has taken it well and will be back in explosive form! The interviews at the start of the giro were great. A real insight into the respect thats given in cycling. yourpaceormine, I bet your a standard lame Schleck fan?

yourpaceormine | 11 years ago
0 likes

Think it is/was a TV feature of Bertie reliving his duel on the Tourmalet with Schleck.

Another vote of 'not very impressed' for Eurosport (after the half hour feature for the start of the Giro coverage).

Latest Comments