Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro Stage 14

Seeing as we're all still up worrying about the game falling apart I thought I'd ask the big question...

Who's going to go for it tomorrow?

I can't see any of the big GC contenders, Basso, Schleck, Scarponi, Rodriguez, Hesjedal or Kreuziger even attempting to put more than a few seconds into each other with 3 more summit finishes in the next week. Stage 15 should be more fun as it runs into a rest day.

I'm thinking, I'll pick up two of Rujano, Gadret, Hesjedal and Basso and maybe leave Scarponi until later although I could afford Kreuziger and one of the first 4 on my list.

Something else to throw into the mix, apparently it'll to be bloody freezing on the summit tomorrow with risk of snow and Rodriguez is known to dislike the cold, Pozzovivo too (as he's a whippet).

Thoughts?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

66 comments

Alan Tullett replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Also, with Rujano and Gadret 3 minutes down needing a lead of maybe 3 minutes on those who can TT will they go big early on or will they wait till next week?

My high risk/high reward strategy is to pick both and hope for fireworks but I think I might just go for one.

As we have exactly the same DSs we have exactly the same choices.

Gone for Scarponi, (I'm sure he'll do something over the weekend and place high even if the secs difference isn't big, expect him to be top 5 GC by Sunday if his legs are ok as his whole training schedule has been orientated to this one week).
Rujano - bit of a punt - could try and win stage to get some bonus secs and some time back while the GC guys are more cagey. He's not going to win it outright after all and AND have done well so far.
Basso - should put in a solid performance and move up a few places on GC.
Henao - cheap, got 5 points for Cav and is young rider so extra points if he does well. He and Uran will stay close together somewhere in the top 10 on the stage and move up a few places on GC- I hope.

Other options - Kreuzinger but we've already got Tiralongo, who could go for the win to upset things and let Kreuzinger wait.
Gadret - ALM have some wins now so less pressure on him - or this could give him extra confidence, but 2 punts is too much and I've gone for Rujano.
Uran - prob no better than Henao and more expensive.

Purito and Hesjedal, think they will both drop a few places in GC although they'll both be top 10 but prob not top 5 on the stage.

There'll be a few surprises. I've considered De Gendt so I could have Purito and Scarponi with Henao. He might do well today or wait and go for a stage victory in the MM stages next week. Then there's Seeldrayers, Nieve might go for a stage win while the GC guys mark each other.

It's going to be an interesting tactical stage and I think everyone's team is going to be more or less the same with similar points - quite high. It's the MM stages next week that will shake up the Fantasy game with much more chance of unexpected winners.

MM used to be my weakness but now it's more of a strength, so I'm hoping to just not lose too much ground this weekend and be set up for a few interesting transfers next week. Going to need a monster stage win to get up near the top.

Amongst the remaining DSs we haven't got Stetina, who I had at one stage, he could be interesting. Lost some time due to mechanical and could be dangerous. We'll see.

At least Cav finally won for me. When he was boxed in I thought, oh no here we go again, and Goss did well enough to justify keeping him. Even went up the table with a climber heavy team.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh, and I didn't have enough transfers to get rid of Hunter.

So hope he's a Punter.  31

NB. HE CLEARLY WON"T BE  1

My team is sososososososososososososo reem

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ok.

Poz for the win, got him in.
Scarponi to do well, left him out for a spell.
Basso to fly, gave him a try.
J Rod to suffer, left him in as he's a bluffer.
Because of Schleck's shoulder I've got someone older.

RUJANO'S AMAZING, IT'S HIM I'M PRAISING.

thefatcyclist replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Ok.

Poz for the win, got him in.
Scarponi to do well, left him out for a spell.
J Rod to suffer, left him in as he's a bluffer.

RUJANO'S AMAZING, IT'S HIM I'M PRAISING.

Dear dear dear dear, your meter is queer,
I've tweaked it some though, you'll see down below.
My mistake yes or no though?, leaving out pozzovivo.
But I have no clue, what they're all gonna do.

Poz for the win, so I've got him in.
Scarponi to do well, so left him out for a spell
J Rod to suffer, left him in he's a bluffer.
RUJANO'S AMAZING, IT'S HIM THAT I'M PRAISING.

I'm over the edge I think.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I may well pick Hesjedal and Rujano but I'm worried that Hesjdal will just get blown out of the back if they decide to up the pace on the last climb, he didn't look hugely comfortable in some of the earlier much smaller climbs.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Joaquin Rodriguez (KAT)
Mark Cavendish (SKY)
Roberto Ferrari (AND)
Giovanni Visconti (MOV)
Domenico Pozzovivo (COG)
Miguel Angel Rubiano (AND)
Paolo Tiralongo (AST)
Damiano Caruso (LIQ)
Jon Izagirre (EUS)

Was my team from today,