Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro Stage 10

Today looks like a similar day to Sunday with a breakaway going away only for the high pace of the Liquigas/Astana led peleton to bring it back together ahead of the final climbs.

I wouldn't put it past J-Rod to get another top 3 finish today although I expect a similar result to Sunday with 1 or 2 riders going away on the final climb to fight it out for the win.

My team:
Rodriguez
Uran
Hesjedal
Gasparatto (dubious choice, could win, could be a DS for Kreuziger/Tiralongo again)

Tiralongo
Pozzovivo
Demare
Guardini
Caruso

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

36 comments

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Picked up Cav and Hunter rather than Goss and Visconti, mainly because Hunter is so cheap I can leave him in my team for a few days freeing up credits for the likes of Scarponi/Schleck.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not gonna go Cav (as i can only pick one of Goss or Cav)

So if Cav was to win, Goss 2nd, the 5 point difference gained by Cav would be offset by Haeno getting 5 points.

Ideally a Kristoff win would be nice

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dropped JRod again, hopefully it pays off this time.
Cav and Goss potential 80 points between them  26

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

dropped J-Rod and Basso for Cav and Goss. After the crash they might have a point to prove.

In relation to todays stage though i have been to Assisi and those roads are bloody steep to walk up never mind on a bike. How they manage to go the speed they do still amazes me.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm the same, cannot have Goss and Kristoff through lack of credits and can't quite afford Goss and Modolo, tempted by Cavendish and Hunter but might play it safe and plan for Saturday.

JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes

I might bring Modolo back just for this stage . . . but its a gamble cos it means dropping Henao who should get some GC pts at least....hmm

0 likes

its not about having the bottle, its about whats gonna favor me best in the long run regarding what team I end up with for the big mountains.

Scarponi and Vicioso will be dropped

JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes

Go on, drop jrod, so you can have both cav and goss . . . anyone with real bottle would do that

0 likes

Rubbish is all ive got to say, gonna drop more places.

Had visconti for most of the giro and now ive dropped him he goes and does something!!

The question now is Goss or Cav to go with Kristoff tomorrow  39

schlunzi | 11 years ago
0 likes

Top 20

1 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquin
2 HUZARSKI Bartosz
3 VISCONTI Giovanni
4 POZZOVIVO Domenico
5 GADRET John
6 HESJEDAL Ryder
7 SLAGTER Tom Jelte
8 CATALDO Dario
9 KREUZIGER Roman
10 URAN URAN Rigoberto
11 BRAMBILLA Gianluc
12 INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA Benat
13 HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Luis
14 TIRALONGO Paolo
15 BASSO Ivan
16 DUPONT Hubert
17 SCARPONI Michele
18 CAPECCHI Eros
19 CARUSO Damiano
20 NIEVE ITURALDE Mikel

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

123 points today I think. Sadly that's probably pretty average, I can see some managing at least 180 or 190.

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sorry, think I'm going deaf, misheard Huzarski for Pirazzi. Changed it as soon as I realised.

Had 1, 3 and 4 and 7 of top 20 so I'm not complaining - 160-ish points I reckon.

I'm stuffed if tomorrow goes to the expected sprint mind.

schlunzi | 11 years ago
0 likes

Full results are up at
http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giroditalia/2012/classifiche/it/t_10_cla...

I am counting at around 164 points. I call that a good day.

Bobbys boys | 11 years ago
0 likes

Agreed. Tough mountains and flat sprints are generally quite predictable. Rolling stages and picking breakaways is a real skill. Big point differentials on those days.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Agreed, the real winners will have Visconti, Huzarski, Slagter, maybe Gadret but those with Rodriguez, Pozzovivo and Hesjedal won't get any advantage. This is why it all closes up again in the last 10 stages.

It seems that to win a grand tour you need to get out well ahead in the first week then just hold the lead with the obvious climbers.

Bobbys boys replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Agreed, the real winners will have Visconti, Huzarski, Slagter, maybe Gadret but those with Rodriguez, Pozzovivo and Hesjedal won't get any advantage. This is why it all closes up again in the last 10 stages.

It seems that to win a grand tour you need to get out well ahead in the first week then just hold the lead with the obvious climbers.

Inspired strategy ... would have never have thought of that! Get the lead and then pick the winning climbers! Genius ... can see why you're a "Dr"!!

drheaton replied to Bobbys boys | 11 years ago
0 likes
Bobbys boys wrote:
drheaton wrote:

Inspired strategy ... would have never have thought of that! Get the lead and then pick the winning climbers! Genius ... can see why you're a "Dr"!!

My point was that there are minimal gains to be made in the mountains with most of the top teams scoring within 20-30 points of each other depending on finishing order but mainly having the same riders. The real gains are clearly made in the TTs, the sprint stages and the breakaway stages.

Bobbys boys | 11 years ago
0 likes

Huzarski or Pirazzi second?? Home page reckons Pirazzi  7

drheaton replied to Bobbys boys | 11 years ago
0 likes
Bobbys boys wrote:

Home page has been updated, everything I;ve seen says Huzarski.

Bobbys boys replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:
Bobbys boys wrote:

Home page has been updated, everything I;ve seen says Huzarski.

Darn it  14

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

1st, 4th, 6th so far for me, but they are very popular riders.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

GC:

1 Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha Team 40:27:34
2 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin - Barracuda 0:00:17
3 Paolo Tiralongo (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:32
4 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Astana Pro Team 0:00:52
5 Benat Intxausti Elorriaga (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:52
6 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:00:57
7 Damiano Caruso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:01:02
8 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Omega Pharma-Quickstep 0:01:03

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

1 Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver
2 Bartosz Huzarski
3 Giovanni Visconti
4 Domenico Pozzovivo
5 John Gadret
6 Ryder Hesjedal
7 Tom Jelte Slagter
8 Dario Cataldo

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Rodriguez with the win and the pink!

Possibly Slagter second, Tiralongo up there then all the usual suspects.

EDIT:

1. Rodriguez
2. Huzarski
3. Visconti(?)

There seems to be some confusion as to who finished 3rd...

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

The peloton weaves its way through Riccardo Ricco's home town of Bastardo

As it stands the break will be caught as and when the peloton feels like it but definitely before the last climb, expect to see lots of attacks.

My money's on Rodriguez!

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Apparently there was a big crash early on, with Perget (AG2R), Miguel Rubiano (Androni), Pierre Cazaux (Euskaltel), Brian Bulgac (Lotto Belisol) and Dario Cataldo (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) all involved. As far as we know, they are all ok and still riding.

Doesn't sound like any serious injuries.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

What has Keizer been eating for breakfast? Is he trying to rack up 1000km in a break during the Giro or something?

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

5 man break

Bonnafond (Ag2r)
Mínguez (Euskaltel-Euskadi)
Failli (Farnese Vini)
Brandle (NetApp)
Keizer (Vacansoleil)

fluffchucker | 11 years ago
0 likes

Pozzato's a gonner with a broken hand  20

livestrongnick replied to fluffchucker | 11 years ago
0 likes
fluffchucker wrote:

Pozzato's a gonner with a broken hand  20

After his blunder yesterday I've no sympathy!

Pages

Latest Comments