Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro Stage 6

So who's your main man/men for today?

I haven't got a clue who i'm going to put in.

I could play safe and put a couple of guys who will score from the GC, but i already have Cav, GT and Nava. So i'm not sure.

I was going to start making my climbers come in, but there are still flat stages to come and the big climbs don't really hit till stage 14. Most others the punchy sprinters should manage. Not the likes of Cav and Farrar though  39

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

80 comments

keith roberts | 11 years ago
0 likes

25 points...not bad really! my purist team did better  13

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Question now is how to use my three transfers, thinking:

Cavendish, Thomas & Navardauskas for
Hesjedal, J-Rod and Sella/Pozzovivo

But that feels a bit conservative and maybe a bit early for Rodriguez/Pozzovivo. Would have Goss left for sprints, Gasparatto for small hills and Lancaster, Demare, Kristoff and Guardini just taking up space.

It's at times like this that I realise that I really have no idea what I'm doing.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Finalised my transfers, brought in Rodriguez, Hesjedal and Sella, nearly went for Pirazzi as a. breakaway man but think he's too high in the GC at the minute. Also very nearly went for Gatto who's well down and probably up for a breakaway today or tomorrow.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Finalised my transfers, brought in Rodriguez, Hesjedal and Sella, nearly went for Pirazzi as a. breakaway man but think he's too high in the GC at the minute. Also very nearly went for Gatto who's well down and probably up for a breakaway today or tomorrow.

chrisdstripes replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Anyone know where Cav is?

They mentioned he was off the back about an hour ago, trying hard to spot Goss in the main bunch but too many Katusha riders have the same colour jersey!

chrisdstripes replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Joys, i'm just home, so to confirm. Lastras and Hushovd out? Here was my team for the day. Leaving me with 2 transfers for tomorrow. I wonder which ones i'll have to change  20  20

Thor Hushovd (BMC)
Filippo Pozzato (FAR)
Giovanni Visconti (MOV)
Pablo Lastras (MOV)
Ramunas Navardauskas (GRM)
Dennis Vanendert (LOT)
Stef Clement (RAB)
Arnaud Demare (FDJ)
Jon Izagirre (EUS)

Lastras was in the break when he crashed, and the break looks like staying out, so he would almost certainly have been scoring high today too. That probably doesn't help, does it?  3

nickobec replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Rubiano wins, picked by 1% of teams, no doubt the top ones who'll get even further ahead  2

Not the top teams in overall, they are very very conservative with their picks.

Most will score 20 to 40 points today
*****edit****
See comments below Rubiano picked by one top 20 team, now the new 1, most other teams under 25 points.

Alan Tullett replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Didn't even consider Rubiano this morning (other than in passing) so not too miffed I missed out, although the 70-something points he'll probably get for KoM points, KoM jersey, GC and stage win will make a few people very happy.

Yes, he did. Very happy. After screwing up yesterday's stage I thought I was going to drop like a stone today as well. Instead I jumped up a lot and didn't waste any transfers even, due to site problems and not sure who to put in. So put in 4 today as I expect it'll go more to form over the next couple of days.

Put Rubiano in a couple of days ago and even yesterday he scored a few points as he was 3rd in mountain and 17th. My only good pick recently but it's the second time I've got a big breakaway winner, Clarke in the Tour Down Under was the last. I think he scored about 65 points, Rubiano got 69. Must be the highest individual score of any rider. Didn't win the stage though, the winner had Malori and Golas!

nickobec replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

It's at times like this that I realise that I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Neither do I  3 scored 32 for last stage and move up 17 spots in the Giro comp.

Today is loooong uphill drag 19km at about 4%, with nasty 10% section just before finish thinking JRod, Gasparotto, Cunego
Tomorrow another summit finish almost, 10km @ 6%, followed by 4km flat again punchers or real climbers is my dilemma
Monday is flat downhill, Cav & Goss to shine after "resting" for 2 days
Tuesday ends in a TA style race through town with short nasty climb on cobbles at end JRod, Gasparotto again
Wednesday almost a repeat of stage 5 flat, then lumpy stuff 11km from end, then flat finish, Goss unless somebody takes a flyer.
Thursday ....

Always looking at the long game

Timbo13 replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Joys, i'm just home, so to confirm. Lastras and Hushovd out? Here was my team for the day. Leaving me with 2 transfers for tomorrow. I wonder which ones i'll have to change  20  20

Thor Hushovd (BMC)
Filippo Pozzato (FAR)
Giovanni Visconti (MOV)
Pablo Lastras (MOV)
Ramunas Navardauskas (GRM)
Dennis Vanendert (LOT)
Stef Clement (RAB)
Arnaud Demare (FDJ)
Jon Izagirre (EUS)

Is Nav your best chance for points? Could well be last man home today.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

If he doesn't finish the stage he won't classify for the KoM competition so won't be top 5 at the end of the day.

I'm not sure what'll happen to his actual KoM points from today though as that's not exactly spelled out in the rules. I'd expect him to get todays points but nothing else.

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

Will Lastras still score some points for being top 5 KOM (assuming he's in the top 5 at the end of the stage) even though he's out of the race?

Debarrio | 11 years ago
0 likes

Looks like Lastras is out, had trouble breathing after the crash. Navardauskas is 1,5 minute down, so will probably lose pink.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm beginning to feel quite smug about not making many transfers:

Quote:

We're hearing over race radio that Lastras has crashed. He attacked after Rubiano but has come down.

I'm just waiting for it all to go horribly wrong.

Debarrio | 11 years ago
0 likes

Today's first mountain points went to Golas, with Rubiano in second.

rcorbin | 11 years ago
0 likes

Van Winden crashed and took them all out

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

And for those of you with Balloni...

Quote:

The group has started up the day's first climb and four riders have already fallen back: Keukeleire, van Winden, Belletti and Balloni. Not what we would expect from the man wearing the mountain jersey!

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Thor Hushovd is the next to abandon. He too finished way down yesterday. Perhaps he is ill?

0 likes
drheaton wrote:
Quote:

Thor Hushovd is the next to abandon. He too finished way down yesterday. Perhaps he is ill?

I still think he's bluffing...  19

adholman | 11 years ago
0 likes

I ended yesterday with a team full of sprinters so got rid of Farrar and Bos for Hesjedal and De Gendt. I still have Goss and Cav if there's a sprint today, but they'll definitely be gone tonight for a couple of GC/mountains riders for the forthcoming uphill finishes. SO fingers crossed for De Gendt in the next few days - its a long-shot!

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Romain Feillu of Vacansoleil first rider to abandon Giro!!  13

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Also

Quote:

We have our first abandon of the 2012 Giro: Romain Feillu of Vacansoleil. He was one of those who finished 12 minutes down yesterday.

And am I right in thinking there's no points for being in a breakaway in the tour's? Just the points on offer for intermediate sprints and the mountains?

0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Also

Quote:

We have our first abandon of the 2012 Giro: Romain Feillu of Vacansoleil. He was one of those who finished 12 minutes down yesterday.

And am I right in thinking there's no points for being in a breakaway in the tour's? Just the points on offer for intermediate sprints and the mountains?

Yep - pretty sure thats right. Although on the right stage that could still be a handy 20 points or so for the right rider. Not such a big deal today tho...

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Five riders in the group are within one minute of our leader in pink. The top-ranked rider is Luke Roberts of Saxo Ban, who is currently 41 seconds down in 25th position.

Which is excellent news for me if this is today's break, can't see it ending in anything other than a sprint finish with Garmin and Greenedge working to bring it back together.

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

2 Katusha riders in the break.......... hidden agenda me thinks  39

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wow - 16-man break. Lastras also in. And Benedetti, which is annoying, as scribbled on a notepad next to my PC is "Benedetti - breaks??" but I didn't bring him in...  39

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

so are about 5 million other riders that i dont have!!

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

Balloni's in the break  4

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

The reason i went for J-Rod today is that he is expensive and i knew i was going to get rid of Cav so rather than pick a lesser rider and then had to fiddle my team about i plumped for J-Rod straight away. Might work out, might not but he is in now. fingers crossed it doesnt backfire.

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've brought in Gasparotto and Visconti too - I think they could figure over the weekend as well as today. Not done a great job managing my transfers so don't quite have the team I want, but will bring in 2 more punchy climbers and/or GC contenders tomorrow - lets see who looks strong today. Hoping against hope that Goss/Benatti/Kristoff can stay with the lead group today...

Goss, Benatti, Gasparotto, Visconti
Meersman, Barta, Kristoff, Chicchi, Guardini

Just realised that leaves me with 23.1 credits! Could be time for the J-Rod tomorrow then...

Pages

Latest Comments