Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

rollers accident

Just had my first training roller accident i have watched and laughed at you tube footage like no doubt many of you, but tonight i had my own inccident after riding roller for nearly 2 years now.
i was about half an hour into an hour session with my 5 year old daughter watching at which point she walked forward and reached for my front wheel. fearing the loss of young fingers I grabbed both brakes instantly stopping then lurched sideways, still clipped in i crashed into the garage floor and my large free standing tool box, 5 year old then running out to tell her mum. while i try to get up with 2 holes in my shin just below the knee, a large cut to my right butt cheek from the roller tool box draw and now some impressive swelling of the shin around the 2 hole .

my daughter is now covinced i fell on my own and she was nothing to do with me falling.

anyone else had any incidents on rollers ????

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

But of course: viewing area = the flat roof on the extension!

All audience PPE (safety glasses etc) will be at additional cost, naturally.

Or...

You could just buy a turbo trainer... nah!

Anyway, I think we may have flogged this to death by now, but hopefully this has at least cheered you up following your 'off'.  1

road ronin replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

certainly cheered me up i think we have killed this thread. hope to speak again

4  4

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

But remember - to recoup the cossts incurred for this development. All members of the public AND family will need to purchase tickets for use of the viewing area.

0 likes

Sod half measures, increase the height of the garage roof and run a ramp through a full 360, ensure your roller speed will generate sufficient centrifugal force before bunny hopping onto the ramp, then simply loop-the-loop 100 times for training!

(there's a hamster joke in here somewhere but I can't find it...)

For extra kudos, build the extra wall height from glass, then amaze/make nauseous the neighbours as they watch you whizzing past upside down!  4

(I like this game.  24 )

0 likes

24 Thats sold it for im on to the structural engineers this morning.

my neighbours already think im mad so why disappoint them

0 likes

I think you're missing a flashing red light in the kitchen over the garage door to alert others of roller action. Also a crashmat against the far wall in the garage, so if it happens again the simplest solution is to just bunnyhop clean off the rollers and hit the garage wall at a sprint!  4

0 likes

notfastenough a very Good point well made i missed the flashing lights and maybe siren, also looking at making the back wall a quarter pipe ramp so when bunny hopping off i ride up the quarter 180 and safely back to the rollers  39  4

0 likes

Could have been worse though, as you point out re your daughter.

She'll grow up saying you're crap on rollers with you insisting it's her fault!

I can just see a health and safety geek pointing out how avoidable this was though - it's like one of those boring H&S sessions at work where they provide pictures and you point out the hazards! (Child, toolbox, clipless pedals etc!)

0 likes

My daughter has already told both sets of grand parents that daddy fell off his bike in the garage and she ran in to the house to get help.

i have completed a risk assessment on my training area and have cleared a 3M square all round the rollers, laid large crash mats left right and in front, roped off a veiwing area and all spectators are required to wear glove,hi viz clothing,safety shoes and goggles  4  4

road ronin | 11 years ago
0 likes

glad you enjoyed my little story

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd like to say I never laughed when I read this but I would be lying. Sorry.

Thanks for sharing though.

Latest Comments