Home

Just had my first training roller accident i have watched and laughed at you tube footage like no doubt many of you, but tonight i had my own inccident after riding roller for nearly 2 years now.
i was about half an hour into an hour session with my 5 year old daughter watching at which point she walked forward and reached for my front wheel. fearing the loss of young fingers I grabbed both brakes instantly stopping then lurched sideways, still clipped in i crashed into the garage floor and my large free standing tool box, 5 year old then running out to tell her mum. while i try to get up with 2 holes in my shin just below the knee, a large cut to my right butt cheek from the roller tool box draw and now some impressive swelling of the shin around the 2 hole .

my daughter is now covinced i fell on my own and she was nothing to do with me falling.

anyone else had any incidents on rollers ????

11 comments

Super Domestique [1605 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

I'd like to say I never laughed when I read this but I would be lying. Sorry.

Thanks for sharing though.

road ronin [52 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

glad you enjoyed my little story

notfastenough [3679 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Could have been worse though, as you point out re your daughter.

She'll grow up saying you're crap on rollers with you insisting it's her fault!

I can just see a health and safety geek pointing out how avoidable this was though - it's like one of those boring H&S sessions at work where they provide pictures and you point out the hazards! (Child, toolbox, clipless pedals etc!)

0 likes

My daughter has already told both sets of grand parents that daddy fell off his bike in the garage and she ran in to the house to get help.

i have completed a risk assessment on my training area and have cleared a 3M square all round the rollers, laid large crash mats left right and in front, roped off a veiwing area and all spectators are required to wear glove,hi viz clothing,safety shoes and goggles  4 4

0 likes

I think you're missing a flashing red light in the kitchen over the garage door to alert others of roller action. Also a crashmat against the far wall in the garage, so if it happens again the simplest solution is to just bunnyhop clean off the rollers and hit the garage wall at a sprint!  4

0 likes

notfastenough a very Good point well made i missed the flashing lights and maybe siren, also looking at making the back wall a quarter pipe ramp so when bunny hopping off i ride up the quarter 180 and safely back to the rollers  39 4

0 likes

Sod half measures, increase the height of the garage roof and run a ramp through a full 360, ensure your roller speed will generate sufficient centrifugal force before bunny hopping onto the ramp, then simply loop-the-loop 100 times for training!

(there's a hamster joke in here somewhere but I can't find it...)

For extra kudos, build the extra wall height from glass, then amaze/make nauseous the neighbours as they watch you whizzing past upside down!  4

(I like this game.  24 )

0 likes

24 Thats sold it for im on to the structural engineers this morning.

my neighbours already think im mad so why disappoint them

giff77 [1251 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

But remember - to recoup the cossts incurred for this development. All members of the public AND family will need to purchase tickets for use of the viewing area.

0 likes

But of course: viewing area = the flat roof on the extension!

All audience PPE (safety glasses etc) will be at additional cost, naturally.

Or...

You could just buy a turbo trainer... nah!

Anyway, I think we may have flogged this to death by now, but hopefully this has at least cheered you up following your 'off'.  1

0 likes

certainly cheered me up i think we have killed this thread. hope to speak again

4 4