Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour of Britain, Caephilly finish, good place to watch?

I'm thinking about riding from home (Bristol) to watch the Tour of Britain stage finishing in Caephilly. Is there a decent climb near the finish that would make a decent spectator spot?

Or should I get the train to Cardiff and ride up to the top of the Brecons for the cat 1 climb?

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

parsons1927 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Here you go, http://app.strava.com/rides/4544877

My mate did that little while back.Quiet lanes to Newport,pan flat too. You have got to go through the city whichever way you come from Bristol, then once you are out the other side there are numerous ways to Caerphilly. The A48 runs all the way from the Severn bridge to Cardiff, parallel to the M4, that's pretty direct but will be busy in places.

You could also pick up the lanes again to Cardiff and head up Caerphilly mountain from North Cardiff as well.

acjim | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like Caerphilly mtn is a winner - any suggestions for a decent route from Bristol?

Thanks!

parsons1927 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I believe they are going twice up Caerphilly Mountain this year and it's a fairly tough climb so you can get a good view of the riders. I watched about half way up the mountain and got back to the finish on foot last year though it is busy at the finish and so you won't get a good spot if you're up the mountain earlier. You can see the presentations fine. On a bike you could get down a bit quicker and there are a few ways up and down the mountain so there will be a way to ride back to the town centre avoiding any road closures I would guess.

nellybuck@msn.com | 11 years ago
0 likes

Assuming they use the same route to the finish as last year, then the climb of Caerphilly mountain is very close to the finish. In theory it'd be possible to see both the climb and the finish, but it's probably not practical due to road closures etc.

andylul | 11 years ago
0 likes

Is it time to roll out my Plan Caerphilly joke again? It got me a pair of socks last year...

Latest Comments